Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Abortion doc guilty of murder [graphic wording]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Abortion doc guilty of murder [graphic wording]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abortion doc guilty of murder [graphic wording]
    Posted: May 13 2013 at 4:39pm
I can hardly believe this was a CNN article

Philadelphia (CNN) -- A Philadelphia abortion provider who killed babies by cutting their spinal cords with scissors was found guilty of first-degree murder on Monday.

The conviction on three counts of first-degree murder means Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 72, could be sentenced to death.

A prosecutor sobbed after the verdict in the high-profile case was announced. Gosnell appeared shocked. He let out a sigh and shook his head back and forth.

"We were disappointed. We put on a vigorous defense. We think it went well for us in the courtroom," he said. "But the jury spoke, and we respect the jury's verdict."

Defense attorney Jack McMahon told CNN it's too soon to tell whether he will appeal the conviction.

Gosnell also was accused in the death of Karnamaya Mongar, 41, who died of an anesthetic overdose during a second-trimester abortion at his West Philadelphia clinic. In that case, the jury found him guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

Gosnell was also found guilty of 21 counts of abortion of the unborn, 24 weeks or older.

In Pennsylvania, abortions past 24 weeks are illegal unless the health of the mother is at stake.

Abortion doctor case triggers painful memories for ex-patient

The case next moves to the penalty phase, when jurors will weigh whether to give Gosnell a death sentence. It's possible the doctor will testify, said William Brennan, an attorney who represented Gosnell earlier in the case.

"I would think there would be a lot of mitigation in this case and I think probably, and this is a guess, but probably at that time the jury would hear from Dr. Gosnell," he said.

Earlier Monday, the jury, after deliberating for two weeks, said it was hung on two counts, and the judge instructed them to continue trying to reach a verdict on them.

Judge Jeffrey P. Minehart also told jurors that their progress showed they were "considering the evidence seriously."

Gosnell's co-defendant, Eileen O'Neill, 56, was found guilty of conspiracy to operate a corrupt organization and two counts of theft by deception for operating without a license to practice medicine. O'Neill, a medical school graduate, was not charged with performing illegal abortions.

Both pleaded not guilty.

Eight people involved in Gosnell's clinic, called the Women's Medical Society, have pleaded guilty to various charges, including four to murder.

The grand jury report from 2011 says the "people who ran this sham medical practice included no doctors other than Gosnell himself, and not even a single nurse," yet they still made diagnoses, performed procedures and administered drugs.

McMahon, in an impassioned, 2½-hour closing argument, said that none of the infants was killed; rather, he said, they were already dead as a result of Gosnell administering the drug Digoxin, which can cause abortion.

Gosnell also was accused of reusing unsanitary instruments; performing procedures in filthy rooms, including some in which litter boxes and animals allegedly were present at the time; and allowing unlicensed employees -- including a teenage high school student -- to perform operations and administer anesthesia.

The remains of aborted fetuses were stored in water jugs, pet food containers and a freezer at the clinic, the city's chief medical examiner Sam Gulino testified.

Former employee Kareema Cross said Gosnell regularly performed illegal late-term abortions that he routinely recorded as "24.5 weeks."

McMahon, who called no witnesses, accused prosecutors of "the most extraordinary hype and exaggeration in the history of the criminal justice system," even adding that they are "elitist" and "racist."

Gosnell has been accused by authorities of preying on low-income, minority women. McMahon argued that Gosnell offered access to health care for people who were poor and without health insurance.

During his closing remarks, Philadelphia Assistant District Attorney Edward Cameron turned to Gosnell and yelled, "Are you human?"

Gosnell smirked at Cameron without speaking. Cameron then continued, declaring, "It's time for us to extinguish the fire he created."

The doctor was first charged in January 2011.

The case has drawn national attention and sharp criticism from anti-abortion activists.

But that doesn't mean it sets a precedent, CNN legal analyst Paul Callan said.

"The testimony in this case was so graphic and so horrific. It was described literally as a house of horrors taking place in this Philadelphia clinic," Callan said. "So I think that most objective observers will say that ultimately this will be an isolated case, hopefully, and that it's simply a case where prosecutors had to act. It had nothing to do with being pro- or anti-abortion."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/13/justice/pennsylvania-abortion-doctor-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Sponsored Links

510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 5:11pm
just sad and smh.......
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 5:16pm

Not sure I agree with the death penalty here, though, unless the patients were unaware that they were being aborted. However, this cruel, twisted sociopath certainly could use jail time and I don't care how old he is. I read that he was making sick jokes as he was decapitating those babies

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 5:18pm
I also read he didn't do any of this with his white patients (I'm too lazy to read the article in full)
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 6:10pm
I don't think I agree with this. It seems that they are upset about abortion. I am sure those who are antiabortion won't see anything wrong with the verdict. However the women came to the clinic for an abortion. Unless he was grossly negligent and withheld medication, anesthesia etc. I think they are reaching. Repubs are antiwomen in many of the policies they are pushing. The legislation to overturn Roe vs Wade, wanting to limit women's health care and trying to eliminate birth control from pharmacy coverage of insurance plans. This is another part of this. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by yurika975 yurika975 wrote:

I don't think I agree with this. It seems that they are upset about abortion. I am sure those who are antiabortion won't see anything wrong with the verdict. However the women came to the clinic for an abortion. Unless he was grossly negligent and withheld medication, anesthesia etc. I think they are reaching. Repubs are antiwomen in many of the policies they are pushing. The legislation to overturn Roe vs Wade, wanting to limit women's health care and trying to eliminate birth control from pharmacy coverage of insurance plans. This is another part of this. 

No, they're not reaching. I'm pro-choice but it's the way he went about it. He made sure to find the most sadistic way to end the babies lives by DECAPITATING THEM and there are multiple reports of him laughing all the way through it, making sick jokes. He even formed an associate of his who didn't even finish med school to do this with him. Furthermore he targeted black and ethnic women and was grossly negligent in terms of sanitation and procedures, whereas he had a second pristine office for his white clients. He's a sick fucc.
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 6:16pm
This is ridiculous. So if he had administered the Digoxin beforehand then no one would have a problem with it? Murder is murder.
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I also read he didn't do any of this with his white patients (I'm too lazy to read the article in full)
Yes, he treated the white patients better than the minority ones. This piece of sh*t deserves the death penalty.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 6:24pm

Originally posted by yurika975 yurika975 wrote:

No, they're not reaching. I'm pro-choice but it's the way he went about it. He made sure to find the most sadistic way to end the babies lives by DECAPITATING THEM and there are multiple reports of him laughing all the way through it, making sick jokes. He even formed an associate of his who didn't even finish med school to do this with him. Furthermore he targeted black and ethnic women and was grossly negligent in terms of sanitation and procedures, whereas he had a second pristine office for his white clients. He's a sick fucc.
Wasn't he keeping some of the fetus parts in jars? I'm pro choice as well but homeboy was out to lunch.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

Yes, he treated the white patients better than the minority ones. This piece of sh*t deserves the death penalty.

He actually bragged about it. He had a second office exclusively with white patients, with nice accommodations and state of the art instruments. He told his associate that he knew his white patients would not accept the type of sub-standard service he gave to his black/latino patients. He's a monster.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic