Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ABC greenlights series 'Slave in the White House'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ABC greenlights series 'Slave in the White House'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IslandSuga View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 12:46pm
The last slave related movie/show I will be watching is 12 years a slave, after that no more. I'm tired of this
Sponsored Links

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

Well, well, well.....Geek

Quote Jennings was born into slavery at Montpelier in 1799; his mother, who was African-Native American, was held by the Madisons.[3] She told the boy his father was Benjamin Jennings, an English trader.

After the president ended his second term, the Madisons returned to Montpelier in 1817, bringing Jennings with them.[7] He was 18 years old and continued to serve Madison as his valet for the rest of the president's life. Jennings married Fanny, a slave held on another plantation, and they had five children, who lived with their mother.[8] Jennings was with Madison when he died in 1836.[3]:18-19

In 1837, the widow Dolley Madison took Jennings with her when she returned to Washington, DC to live in the winter seasons.[7][8] He was forced to leave his family behind but was permitted to visit them occasionally.

Montpelier born slave, Catherine Taylor, has recently been brought to the forefront as well with detailed documentary analysis and archaeological research. Catherine Taylor (ca. 1820 - after 1892) married a domestic slave, Ralph Taylor, and had four children. When Dolley Madison moved to Washington, D.C. in the years after James Madison's death, Catherine decided to stay at the estate, while her husband accompanied Dolley Madison.

Well.....
Guuurl!DeadAngry
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 12:56pm
I just want to say that I am not "tired" of movies on slavery. I actually don't think there are enough movies/documentaries/mini-series dedicated to this history

There are thousands upon thousands of films on the subject of "The Holocaust" and that was a 7- 8 year period.  I think we could make do with a few more films

Slavery is a topic that needs serious attention but I am way too tired of every 'Slave film' having a 'good White man' hero with redeeming qualities. Our horror lasted for nearly 300 f*cking years... ain't no damn way there was a 'good White man' hero in every damn story. Not even most

I AM sick of them creating Slave and Civil Rights stories for the White audience's satisfaction. If that's their intention (and it is if they're concerned about ratings or box office #s), then I do not need to see another film made.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 1:02pm
Come find me when they make a mini series/movie on late 19th century/20th century womanists gettin' sh*t done.
stardaqueenb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I just want to say that I am not "tired" of movies on slavery. I actually don't think there are enough movies/documentaries/mini-series dedicated to this history

There are thousands upon thousands of films on the subject of "The Holocaust" and that was a 7- 8 year period.  I think we could make do with a few more films

Slavery is a topic that needs serious attention but I am way too tired of every 'Slave film' having a 'good White man' hero with redeeming qualities. Our horror lasted for nearly 300 f*cking years... ain't no damn way there was a 'good White man' hero in every damn story. Not even most

I AM sick of them creating Slave and Civil Rights stories for the White audience's satisfaction. If that's their intention (and it is if they're concerned about ratings or box office #s), then I do not need to see another film made.
All of this.
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 7:35pm
If you are tired of the history then don't complain when it is re-written into a fairy-tale.  Also who else would have a been a hero other than the white man...?  Emancipation Proclamation could not have been possible without a white man signing and even then we were not free and if you think about it we are still psychologically enslaved by old doctrines.
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 7:47pm
Well I'm sick of slavery movies for the simple fact that it's either Tyler Perry, some slavery/butler type ish, or one or two romantic black comedies every year with the same 10 actors every damn time

the problem for me is that movies are for entertainment. I feel like we can have movies on top of movies and more movies on the Holocaust and ww2 bc most people spent months on top of months learning about it. I know my school taught that shyt for a good two months every year from 3rd grade till I graduated, and I never went to school with a single white or Jewish person. On the flip side, they glossed over black history in a big way, and slavery in an even bigger way, in a school full of black people. I know schools with white kids aint learn a damn thing about slavery.

my point being, I don't want to see a movie on slavery if its not going to educate. That was too real and Americans knowledge of it is too shallow. I know a Hollywood production isn't in the business of educating so nah, keep that

AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by foxyroy19 foxyroy19 wrote:

If you are tired of the history then don't complain when it is re-written into a fairy-tale.  Also who else would have a been a hero other than the white man...?  Emancipation Proclamation could not have been possible without a white man signing and even then we were not free and if you think about it we are still psychologically enslaved by old doctrines.

It's plenty of black historical figures who were heroes during slavery

but aint nobody checkin for a black hero
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

Originally posted by foxyroy19 foxyroy19 wrote:

It's plenty of black historical figures who were heroes during slavery

but aint nobody checkin for a black hero
Guuurl!

Got folk thinking yt folk were the only heroes during slavery.

Just typing that sentence out was all kinds of wtf.Dead

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair