BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A question for my African brothas/sistas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:30pm
IA w/ Mz Amirah. it can happen in any culture. 
but it sounds like the norm in most cultures, especially those that hold their culture extremely dear to their identities. 
Sponsored Links

Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

im slowly starting to lol at this thread

if anything shad, you look more ghanaian than anything else
The one ghanaian I knew did not look good at allOuch
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:33pm
JP, i really assumed that most haitians were an ecclectic mix of the slaves from different countries and ethnic groups. and then depending on the amount of western influence in the geography, european ancestry. 

i didn't really know we were closely related to any one country. but that is cool to know. 
MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

The DNA results said I'm most genetically similar to Nigerians. 

yeah i figured that is what it would say. don't they tell everyone that?

i figure i am most similar to ppl from Guinea. that's where they say Haitians are from and i think many ppl from Guinea acknowledge that "Fact"

I've read somewhere a long time ago that:
Haitians are mainly Yoruba Nigerians.
Jamaicans are mainly a mix of Nigerian and Ghanaian.
Bajans are mainly Igbo Nigerians (or at least Nigerians).
Brazilian black are mainly Yoruba Nigerians.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

^^thats ice cold

It wasn't meant to offend. But as you well know, africans don't even accept each other based on tribal affiliations within the same country. Why the hell would they see a black from the diaspora as one of their own in any way, shape or form? When I say "accept you", I don't mean that they would never like you, befriend you, etc. But start talking about the whole searching for your roots and being panafricanist and all that and they'll laugh in your face. I'm just keeping it real.

You do know Africa is a huge continent, right? I'm sorry you felt rejected.

I'm speaking from my own personal experience. Like I said, I did not mean to offend, I was just being honest about what I felt. and yes, I do know that Africa is a big continent, I've been there.

I have no reason to be offended. You know Africa is a big continent b/c you've been there. (Obviously not the entire continent). But from your own experience, during your soul-searching, did AfricanSSS really laugh in your face? (This is in light of your "just keeping it real"). I think you can see the point I'm trying to make here. Marriage is a delicate matter, and from the way your responses were, it seems it did not turn out the way you would have liked and felt very un-welcomed, bringing much bias and strong feelings to your response. Like I said, I'm sorry you felt regected. This can happen in ANY marriage, even within the same ethnic groups, so don't feel you and your "fellow diasporians" have been singled out by "Africans." But to each their own. My job is not to change anyone's opinions, but to also be a little logical when we over-generalize so we can see other potential POV.
I being a Nigerian-American and many others I know welcome all blacks world wide as long as you have similar values to me. For AA, some want to be associated with African (welcome!), and some strongly feel they aint African (for whatever reason..."fine! KIM". Life aint about hunting people down and initiating them into "your culture".

To derail no further from the OP, Positive K, folks are still waiting for your response so your African bros/sis can help you.

Mizz Amirah, I've already stated that I've had different experiences with Africans, some good, some not so good. My marriage is in the not so good category and i've stated that it's in a different realm because it was a marriage.

My friendships, on the other end, are solid. What I'm trying to say is that, FROM MY EXPERIENCE, when I expressed panafricanist, negritude views, even my friends had a tendency to smirk, like I was getting my references from Eddie Murphy's movie, like I was on some imaginary King of Zamunda shyt, LOL. There is a bit of an attitude that caribbean culture is nothing but slavery.
Also, I should stress that most of the Africans I came in contact with are from French-speaking countries. I'm sure that makes a difference, mentality wise
*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *Belle*Femme* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Yorubas have some fine  men
Meh. I find handsome nigerian far and few in between. However, Men from Cameroon as really fine and Ivory Coast and Ethiopia.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:39pm
ON a side note, whenever my ex watched television and heard the expression "African-American", it amused him to no end. It kind of annoyed me and amused me at the same time
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

JP, i really assumed that most haitians were an ecclectic mix of the slaves from different countries and ethnic groups. and then depending on the amount of western influence in the geography, european ancestry. 

i didn't really know we were closely related to any one country. but that is cool to know. 

Yes, for the most part, you are right!!! I'm just saying that from some of the specific countries that they have been able to pinpoint with accuracy, Guinea and Benin often comes up.
313chick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 313chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:42pm
These threads addressing Africans always do numbers lol...
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 1:43pm
Eithopian? Interesting.. I can't remember any attractive Ethiopian men.

I think Eritrean girls are sometimes really pretty. I knew these 3 girls that were gorgeous

Edited by coconess - Nov 11 2012 at 1:44pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>