Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

A NEW WAVE OF LONG HAIRED VETS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 63>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 11:21pm
Ok, so I went to rest on my bed for a bit and ended up falling asleep, guess I was more tired than I thought. Either way I did not have my satin scarf on when I fell asleep so I fell asleep on cotton and luckily I did not wake up with a disaster on my hands hours later.
Which doesn't mean I won't be sleeping with my satin scarf anymore, but it means that at least if I forget, it won't be as much of a problem as it used to be even if I slept with it in a ponytail which I did now.

I will have to sleep in my satin scarf though so that even if my hair rubs over it in my sleep, that it won't be much of an issue. And hopefully in time I will find a pillowcase of that same finely woven satin.
Sponsored Links

luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 7:24pm
Hey Ladies! Just stopped by to post a couple of pics of Cleo straight. Been having fun, but I always have an adjustment period. Plus, Cleo shrinks even when straight. But, here ya go! Shout out to my lil co-worker /sis for the fishtail braid bc Cleo was getting on my nerves!

And

Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 7:24am
Looking great Luv and love the fishtail braid.

I know all about that straight hair shrinkage.

I've been waiting for my hair to fall beyond bra strap while straight as it stretches beyond that...guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

As for me, I guess I'll wash my hair this weekend.Nothing out of the ordinary to report.

I have been sleeping with my hair in a side pony with my satin scarf which is easy going and keeps my hair from flattening in the back.

Only downside is the imprint of the hair elastic. But nothing spritzing, a bit of conditioner and some hand in hair can't solve.

Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 7:28am
Oh and I have to add... look at that fishtail braid length, now I'm sure your hair was cropped out in the first picture above, you grow girl
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 8:14am
Thank u, Ritle-Skittle😃. I really appreciate the 💜. I was somewhat apprehensive about posting pics bc of the straight hair shrinkage and not looking WL bc I never want to misrepresent myself or Cleo. But, if it helps someone else who had no clue that ya hair can still shrink whilst straight, then it's all good!
Thanks again for the support!

I soo dislike the indent from bands and pins, but it's an easy enough fix like u said. Just annoying. I'm glad u didn't have any issues with ya hair after falling asleep with ya scarf. Let me say this about scarves and pillow cases. 1. Everyone's strands are different, so some folk can deal effectively w/o the silk while others need it and 2. The health of the hair is paramount and the deciding factor on what y'all see once u awaken. If your hair is healthy and strong, you could take a nap or sleep w/ a scarf or wear a cotton one for periods of time w/o damage. It's possible. I am notorious for falling asleep w/o scarfing and we sleep in cotton bc my Hubby is a Hot Boy. So, a few nights or naps prolly won't affect some folk.

I like the ebb and flow of our hair. Basically, I enjoy the various styles and maintenance modes our hair does. Sometimes you feel your on #teamtoomuch and then you can be in chill mode and maintaining! It's cool to "hear" where we all are or are doing with our manes and being able to support or offer advice❤

Gotta make market and go to my lil cuzzo's bday later. Hun- Buns have a GREAT AND SAFE WEEKEND😃
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 2:55pm
@Luv-Duv, You're welcome and I get not wanting to misrepresent.

At times my hair looks shorter than it is and will look like I cut it or like I've done more cutting than I said I did and then I am apprehensive about posting as well, but then I remember why I am contributing pictures in the first place, not just to show my hair, but also because I had to discover some of the things about my hair on my own and would've loved if there had been more pictures posted by people when shrinkage sets in.
I'd be more prepared for what to expect and how to deal with it.

I was now able to let a friend of mine that is transitioning, what to expect with shrinkage. We don't see each other often so we mostly keep up with each other with pictures, but she knows how long I've been natural but just doesn't really know the accurate length of my hair. And because she suspects her hair might have a similar pattern to my hair, I figured I'd inform her. I also informed her that a tighter texture will have even more shrinkage, so that at least she is prepared where that is concerned.

The shrinkage factor while it's straight does make it appear like perhaps it didn't grow as much as I thought and then I am able to stretch it out and realize that it did grow.
And since my hair grows in layers I really have to pay attention to the layers when comparing straight hair pictures for progress.

I guess that's why I try to focus more on health of my hair to avoid frustration, but my length-loving self and the styling options that I love the most keeps me focused on growth. Because the styles I used to do the most at the length that it was while curl permed required a certain length of hair. Also visible waist length would be a personal record, because I never had that. Looking back I know my hair was waist length at it's longest while curl permed, but it just never was visible, so my aim is for at least visible waist length while straight. Would love for it to be bra strap length while shrunken or at least while stretched, then I'd be pleased.

And yes the better state the hair is in the less trouble sleeping mishaps will be, I agree. I have noticed the difference between now and when my hair wasn't as moisturized as it should be. It will be better with scarf, but it's not a disaster without it.

And yes it is cool to read or see updates about our hair. And I do enjoy the journey, though I prefer the ups of course, lol. But I am glad to know about the downs so that I can stop others from making the same mistakes.

Have fun and have a great and safe weekend as well!
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 4:18pm
Cleo looks GREAT Luv!
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 6:22pm
Thanks, Lady💜

Hey All! Just wanted to share some funny stories.

Today driving home from work on this beautiful Autumn day, I had the front windows down all the way. Cleo was a blowing all around! I felt like a model with a wind machine for a hair commercial ! Yes, Hunnies! Lol!

I was standing outside after work talking to two of my co-workers when this car with tinted windows slowly drives by us. My coworker said: Dude can't even drive bc he's too busy looking at you! I just LOL'ed!

Well, I'm going to check out the Natural Section and then plait my hair for a plaitout(inspired by Jewels😀)
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 3:46pm
@Luv-Duv I can imagine you were really feeling yourself. You g(r)o(w) girl! I love it when my hair is blowing in the wind and the more length there is to it, the more I like it.
Though I have to say that I wasn't enjoying it as much on Monday because I was crossing the street and the wind decided it would blow some of my hair in front of my eyes. But in general I'm a fan of wind blown hair.

As for me ladies, keeping it simple continues to go well.

I'm sick at the moment, so nothing much to report, except that I decided to do a pre poo today with some extra virgin coconut oil, a little bit of wheatgerm oil and olive oil and I spritzed some deionized water, added a bit of creamy moisture especially for my ends with conditioner.

I'll let it all penetrate and wash it tomorrow.

Speaking of penetrating, I've noticed that deionized water penetrates quicker/better than any other water I've used so far. It's most def. my staple spritzer now. I can only imagine what distilled water would do.

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2013 at 10:21pm
@Ritle-Skittle: Awww, Feel better. Your hair sounds like it will treat you heavenly bc of that moisturizing mojo. I remember you stated you had hard water issues and that you've experimented with other types of water. Which one do you prefer? How do they feel on ya hair?

Yeah, hair blowing in ya eyes is not at all conducive when you are walking, driving, biking, or eating! Lol!! Oh, and please know that it's heckuva annoying when it's stuck to ya lipgloss or lipstick!

Well, I did a plaitout today and I should have done a few things. But, all in all, with it being my first attempt on straight hair, Cleo turned out well. I should have: 1. Since Cleo has started to revert some, I should have used a holding product and/or an anti- frizz product. Oh, should have checked the humidity level too and 2. I should have taken a pic when I first styled it this am bc by the afternoon, she was poofing. I put her in a ponytail. But, she looked soooo cute for about four hours. Soft tousled(for the most part somewhat uniformed tousled) waves.

So, tonight she's up in a tousled bun. I'm going to experiment with more updos and amounts and types of styling products to maintain an updo. I'm getting annoyed with hair in my face, specifically at work, bc it can be distracting and annoying! I'll try and post pics.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 63>
  Share Topic