BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

A NEW WAVE OF LONG HAIRED VETS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 64>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 8:20am
she was probably being a jealous, bad person lady and wanted you to cut your hair off

Sponsored Links

Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 12:19am
Hey ladies,

After my browser decided to freeze on me I have to retype my post...ughhhh, should've done my regular BHM error proof method, but I am now. Typing this in notebook right now.

But to the point.

I really wanted to share this with you ladies and anyone lurking that might be dealing with hard water and/or drying products as well.

So I added ACV and a little bit of bottled water to my shampoo today in a separate bottle and shook it to mix in advance(I read the tip of adding ACV to soften the blow of the stripping effect shampoos can have
while cleansing properly online, not sure where I did though, but it came to mind).
It was a whole different experience as I had no issue detangling at all. I normally have to wait
till the conditioning stage to properly detangle and another thing, I washed it loose, did not divide it
into two.

Now, to be fair I was in a hurry so maybe that contributed to the following as I might think my hair was clean
but perhaps didn't use enough to properly get rid of buildup, plus, after all, I was supposed to deep condition and such,
but did not get to do any of that. Well I sure will now as I have the day off tomorrow.

I mixed grape seed oil and refined coconut oil(haven't been able to get my hands on unrefined coconut oil nearby)
in a separate bottle with my hello hydration conditioner as it had a drying effect on my hair last time around.

Unfortunately the curls of my hair with less natural oils did not just frizz up, they were also dehydrated, so I guess
it's only suitable as a rinse conditioner... at least on my hair that is, might work for someone else.

By inspecting the rest of my hair the other curls were defined as they naturally do but they felt too dry, so I ended up spritzing water and adding lotion to my hair,
I did not smooth it through, I then added a little gel, did not use a comb or anything, so now my hair does feel more like it self again but
with a bunch of separated curls in the most awkward looking way(no photographic evidence available hahahaha).

The irony about my hair is that on closeup my strands do not look dehydrated but they sure acted and felt dehydrated.

Shrinkage is a beast by the way.

(typed this part hours later)
I found out I have some porous hair strands(due to holes, ugh...) , or at least, I assume they are as I didn't perform a strand test on
a strand with holes before.
I already had noticed it here and there on rare occasions but as I was checking to see which areas needed trimming I saw holes on some strands.
Most toward the end but if it were every strand it would require a chop to get rid of them as some are a few inches up the strand.
Luckily there aren't as many strands with holes as I thought.

Oh by the way, I've tried to trim somewhat after I conditioned my hair, but with the different lengths clumping
it's a pain in the butt job unless I'm seeking a blunt cut.
I did trim off quite some ends but while inspecting my hair now and then I still come across snip-able strands.
But the overall look of my hair has improved where straggly hair hanging from curls are concerned.
I will be able to roll the bun a little less though but it's all good.

OK, now about the deep conditioning I did.

I cleansed,conditioned and then deep conditioned with mayonnaise and a bit of non fat Greek yogurt(I will use
that for my hair because the taste of that new brand is horrible(they normally only have the non fat Greek yogurt in small
packages and they exchanged a .... ugh I digress....)).

Anyway so I saran wrapped my hair and allowed it to penetrate and then rinsed it out with cold water, re-rinsed with
diluted conditioner and then did a cold rinse with ACV and water.

After that I t-shirt dried my hair, I then rubbed lotion on my damp hair and added a teenie bit of the cheapie gel.

This is what it looked like dry

I do trim or cut a strand with a hole or a few holes when I see one, but in general I'll just let them shed out and will focus on
giving my hair extra moisture.

I guess I will snip away any ends I might have overlooked due to uneven lengths clumping and my length loving-ism, LOL.

So anyway... I will trim more often(not too often though, but just the search and destroy thing) and never will I trim my hair with regular scissors again. I
had no idea at the time that regular scissors (even sharp ones) would cause split ends. Plus I waited too long to trim again while my ends were no longer
in tip top condition so yea....

Plus I basically got it wrong from the get go( I did my big chop with regular scissors).

Also, I've not been consistent with moisturizing, this includes the use of products stripping moisture and not deep conditioning on the regular.
I will deep condition with either mayonnaise or Greek yogurt weekly or bi-weekly.

So for now since I realize none of the conditioners I currently own are suitable as a leave-in till further notice(will have to see
how this deep conditioning regime on a regular affects my hair) I am just going to stick to lotions and gel again and will only use
some the conditioners as a leave in to protect my hair (silicone's) whenever I decide to wear my hair in a straight style.

(Well another day has passed and I see new posts so I will just respond to them in this post and add new things and will probably add pictures witn commentary in between
the previously typed text)

I have just spritzed with bottled water, used the cheap gel(which does have alcohol in it) with my dark&lovely gel(without alcohol) mixed in my hands before distributing on
my hair and then I used refined coconut oil(which thanks to the weather does not have to melt in my hands first, such a time saver) on the ends.

By the way I also read a tip about waiting 15 minutes after spraying water on your hair before adding products I can't be bothered to set
a timer on it though, but it gave me even more thoughts regarding moisturizing hair, plus I did end up exceeding the 15 minutes so the water
had some time to settle after I spritzed my hair.

So, all I can say is that I absolutely love spritzing with bottled water, I really feel like it makes a difference.

I will be deepconditioning more often without a doubt, my hair seems to absorb moisture better now.

Of course I will probably end up stretching for some length love again because as we know, hydration brings shrinkage.
Oh by the way, I might have an idea to stretch without hair elastics, maybe a low pony with a bananaclip? I will give it a try soon.

The trim gave me a bit of shape back. Once all the split ends
are gone I'll really be on my way to major improvement and hopefully retain more growth, but I got the worse ones.

All in all I feel like things are looking up with my hair.

freshly moisturized

Moisturized, dry and shrunken(Also was guilty of shaking it,lol)

frontal view

top view

Closeup shot(finally got me that closeup shot)

@Luv-Duv Rubber bands as in actual rubber or just the elastic bands with rubber on the inside/through it?
I have also used rubber bands before but just small ones for braids.I have used elastic bands with rubber
in them before, but once they had their time I'd find small pieces of rubber in my hair.

Good luck on your surgery! Hope you'll have a speedy and not so painful recovery.

And at your crown area being dry, yea I read that it seems to be common for people with curly hair to have a drier crown area.
It sure is true for me, I always have to keep a close eye on that area, at times it can make or break my look when wearing it out.
And yea I also first started noticing growth under the shower,lol, so you are probably right, but it's always nice to know for sure.
Lol, I stretched my hair strand yesterday to see if the front would still be able to fall behind my shoulder if straight, but I'll just
have to wait for a little while I guess as I did get rid of an inch and that same inch kept it behind my shoulder lol.
Sucks that Cleo's been acting up, I can relate to those moments all too well....
Omg! Tresemme moisture rich conditioner ......I miss it so much..... :( I only have the shampoo left.Man that conditioner gave my hair
so much love, but they don't sell it here.

And yay at Cleo thickening up, Whenever I felt like I was stuck at a length I came to the realization that my layers were growing out
and that's when my hair got thicker(and more hang time).

Go for the DC girl, that extra TLC will be good for your hair.

And at the office story, I know people think trimming will help retain growth but that's only the case for damaged ends. And yes other than
that it's purely aesthetic as ends may not be damaged but strands may have a different growth rate and what not.
I also dislike trimming, so it's a rare occurrence for me. Most trims were also more like cuts and I had a set back in length with a scissor
happy hair dresser. Only damaged ends will go, the end lol.

@LadyAradia LOL@the pic, who knows, you can never really be sure with those things, you might be right.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 11:29pm
Well ladies,

A day has passed since my 3 days combined post and all I can say is that apple cider vinegar rinse is a keeper! I am reaping the benefits and this is without very much of " the mother" inside(haven't seen apple cider vinegar with very much of "the mother" left intact anywhere as yet, not even the biological one, imagine what raw apple cider vinegar would do.
And also, though I detest cold water, I will just have to suck it up once every few days to rinse with.

My hair feels better(this time my hair did not frizz a lot due to dehydrating products, but due to separating hand in hair practices) and it's got its shine back that some products took away.

On my next wash day I am going to try cleansing my hair with a baking soda solution(baking soda and water) and using the apple cider vinegar rinse(1/3 of ACV to 2/3 water or maybe 50/50) as a conditioner this weekend, if a cleanse and rinse with apple cider vinegar and water isn't enough. I am reading up on things a bit more to see if perhaps ACV as a cleanser and as a conditioner is beneficial at all.

But yes after still seeing the benefits a few days later, I am convinced.So yep... from my own experience I can confirm that apple cider vinegar can help restore your hair from hard water and alkaline products or any products with negative effects on (tightly)textured hair.

Yesterday's (hand in)hair(result LOL)

Oh I forgot to add, that I am so done with wet styling unless I have to go under a dryer. My recent buns have been done on damp hair and it's made such a difference on take downs and wash days, had I done it on wet hair the dryness that occurred on my crown area would be much worse.

I have been done with wet styling for a while, but I realized how many times I did do wet styles and at some point a bit of water would drip down. I didn't see it as a big deal at that time, but I had no idea that I was actually dehydrating my hair.

Plus whenever I have done my wash and go's I was not able to properly seal moisture as my hair was still wet(though it looked damp).
I now realize that just because my hair is no longer weighed down by the water it doesn't mean it is damp and that I have to feel my hair to make sure that it's at least 50 to 75% dry before adding products whether it's to seal moisture(if water is the moisturizer) or to use a water based moisturizer before sealing and to not leave my hair wet just because of the cooling effect during summer.

Because the sun will dry that water up and whatever was supposed to seal that moisture will be gone from my hair as well.

And also, I hadn't done a wash and go with a conditioner for a while till some days ago and my hair did not have enough time to dry so sealing moisture was a fail and though my hair looked damp it was actually still wet.

I know I mentioned styling on damp hair before, but I came to the realization that I did over look what damp hair truly means with my hair.

So wash and go's are a no the way I have done it before.

Anyway, hope I made some sense with the wet vs damp bla, I woke up way too early and it might be noticeable in this post.

Looking forward to reading your hair stories ladies! And hopefully seeing loads of hair pictures.

Edited by Ritle - Jul 13 2013 at 12:26am
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2013 at 5:15pm
Ritle- Skittle, I'm glad that you're having great results with the ACV. I remember early in my hj folk spoke highly and often regarding ACV benefits. I wanna say I tried it (briefly and inconsistently- I do remember that). I believe I had some around for cooking purposes. I had also read something about ACV and tried it out. It was pretty cool, but I found that it was not needed in the reggie, so I nixed it.

Oh no, holes in your hair! I think your most definitely on the right path regarding dry vs wet vs damp hair and styling. I wanna add that it sounds like I belive - hydra fatigue( someone correct me, if I'm mistaken bc I read about HF a long way back, but it sounds like what's happening with ya yet to be named mane). Google it, Ritle- Skittle. I'm not well versed in it. I do recall a debate about it being nonsensical or not.

I realized that dry vs damp vs wet hair should be considered in how well your hair will :
respond to products
respond the way its stated it should on the product
effect your hair negatively or positvely ( it doesn't take me weeks to know if its a keeper or not. 3 days tops.
effect the style you're trying to achieve
cause curls to act differently

I've noticed that Cleo works in different ways depending on what state of hydration or lack there of she is in.It also effects how the products react with my hair. It also lets me know how my curls will look (e.g. clumped, loose, fluffy) and if I'll achieve the stated results and the style I had in mind.

Oh yeah, you definitely need hair shears specifically for hair. Although, I've had similar results from those thin bladed scissors for cutting fabric/sewing. I do search and destroys when my hair calls for it. Regular scissors, I find, just leave you with a choppy look and feel. Basically chews ya hair. Booo!

Edited by luvmybiga$$fro - Jul 13 2013 at 5:35pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2013 at 6:12pm
In one of my earlier posts I had said that I needed to cowash or dc. Well, I ended up cowashing bc I needed to detangle like nobody's business. It wasn't a horror, but it was a lil rough. I broke out my beloved Treseme Moisture Rich. Its a staple for me. Awesome detangler and conditioner!

I took my Princess Leah buns down(wore them on rainy day Thursday to work) and added condish to the first section. I used my fingers to work out the huge tangles from root to tip. Then, I took my widetoothed comb and got out the remaining tangles. I added more condish and rebunned the section. Repeated on other section. Took my shower. Took one section down and comb through with wide toothed comb. If there were any persistent tangles, I used my fingers.

After washing and detangling, Cleo felt, smelled and looked sooo good and back to Normal. My crown area felt really moisturized. Good hair session.

LOL @ Lady- that gif is funny! Naw, she wasn't jealous. Just thought she know what sge knows. No point going back ans forth.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2013 at 11:06pm
Hey Luv-Duv, I am super pleased too, because calcium plays no games, so I am glad I have found a suitable enemy for hard water till I've found a suitable and affordable filter. And it's hard to get around good products around here, so before I even can get to a moisturizing conditioner months will have passed.
As for you not bothering with it anymore, I get it, if it's not beneficial or there's a product available that's equally beneficial I'd skip it too for the smell alone.

And yea I found exactly one link about hydra fatigue, lol.
Though I figured it would have something to do with over moisturizing I gave it a read anyway. Could be true and of course over time it would have it's effects even if no longer applied. I didn't hesitate to use protein rich products for my deep conditioner because I hadn't done a protein rich one in a while, so I figured my moisture balance was off one way or the other, so at least I'd be killing two birds with one stone and the ACV was the icing on the cake.
Plus I read those holes could mean a low on protein shortly before I deep conditioned.The Olive Oil deep conditioner was the truth, but they don't sell that one in my area, only the ORS Mayo and so I figured I might as well use regular mayonnaise then. I am glad it's not on as many strands as I thought that way it might not be too long before my hair is back to the way it should be or at least close.

And yep you're correct on the dry vs wet vs damp thing.
And yea there have been a few "heck naw" products on my list where trying out products are concerned. Unfortunately I had to choose between lesser evils whenever I ran out of the good stuff from overseas or local out of stock stuff...imported from overseas. So my hair journey has been a roller coaster.

So with the huge amount of products that just really suck for me or will suck for me in the long run, or won't suck as much but won't exactly bring out the best of my hair either, I am looking into natural products even more these days. I literally spent time checking ingredients and such and had to conclude that my area sucks and that if I want to preserve my wallet and my hair, it's best to go back to basics,LOL....stupid place with limited hair products when it comes to curls and kinks, booooooo.

As for shears, yea you don't know what you've been missing till you cut with shears. Regular scissors may cause damage that isn't visible at the time but will become visible along the way with splits...brrr...

Princess Leah buns huh, cute! And glad to read that the cowash was a success. And again...I soooo miss my Tresemme moisture rich conditioner :(, my hair thrived with it, my best hair pictures were taken with that conditioner.TRUTH! I do not understand how people can be sleeping on that conditioner! They need to import it!!!
But I digress... Glad it worked out for you, didn't expect anything less from that conditioner. That conditioner got me through some hard times.So I'm pleased with the love connection between that conditioner and Cleo. And glad that you were spared from a horror story, though a rough ride when it comes to detangling can be a pain in the butt.

And lol @the stubborn colleague, yea sometimes it's best to just walk away.

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 6:29am
Ritle-Skittle, I so dislike when folk don't have access to products / information bc of locale. I feel like that wheen it comes to shopping on the Net. I don't do it bc I'm very hesitant to put personal info like that on the Net- secure site or not. So, if I can't find it locally- it don't get got- LOL!

I figured you prolly wouldn't find anything bout hydra fatigue. I remembered where I first read it- lurking on LHCF. I believe they had a lot of convos bout it. Like I said- not well versed. I read that lack of protein can cause holes too. I'm glad you didn't have more than you thought. What strength protein does ya girl like? I see ya used mayo and yougurt. They seem mild . Cleo likes mild protein on a regular basis in conjunction with moisture. Just curious about ya protein game.

Maybe you could swap products or doctor them with other natural oils and see if some could be salvaged.. its been a minute since I remixed some products, but I luv taking a product and making it work. Just a thought.

Ahhh, the freakin joys of shears! Do you hear the luv?! Lol! Yeah, bad shears= bad results!

Girl, I luvs me some Treseme!!! With all my mini pj-ism, I had put her on the back burner. But, when Cleo wasn't acting in her right mind, I had to bring that condish out and remind her! I'm actually going to cowasb again in awhile bc I used this Curl Envy product that clumped and defined my curls like nobodies business, but I know my ends are going to tangle again. So, I may do a plaitout later. Not a
quite sure.

LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 10:11am
does anyone know if aphogee is a black owned company or not  bc it is my favorite product that I need. I am going to start trying to buy from black owned companies as much as possible
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 12:10pm
@Luv-Duv So true, it's so annoying and yes I am also very hesitant about ordering online, especially from overseas where customs can really kill your vibe and your package doesn't arrive at all or worse, open your stuff or even worse a fee ON TOP of the shipping expenses, no thank you. And not to mention the amount of scammers online, ugh.

Well luckily I did find a link that actually did have the most plausible scenario , because other things I read about over moisturizing were talking about moisturizing too much and not about going out in the sun with your hair still wet, which a lot of people underestimate with wash and go's and then assume it's the products doing wrong(that's also close to the way the article worded it), so thanks for throwing that word out there, I now realize that I actually was on to something when I figured I shouldn't go out if my hair isn't at least damp.

As for my protein amount, I honestly wouldn't know how tolerant my hair is, I know that mayonnaise and Greek Yogurt are supposedly high in protein and not for the protein sensitive.
Whenever I really deep conditioned I was using the Olive oil deep condition which was protein rich for as far as I know and my hair absolutely loved it when I sat under the dryer with it wearing a plastic cap to let it penetrate.
I did not use eggs as yet, but when I do I will probably beat the egg white before applying it to my hair or mix it in with yogurt.
And I most definitely have not used avocado as a hair mask or even a facial mask......simply because they're too delicious , they are my guiltless snack now and then. They never even make it into the salad or beside the soup. But I digress.

About doctoring products, with the apple cider vinegar I was able to make my regular shampoo into a neutralizing one. So yea the products I already own that have drying ingredients I will customize as much to my liking as I possibly can. I am so not on team waste money .

I already try to avoid using tap water for spritzing. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on distilled water soon.

About that heavenly condish, sometimes you have to take a few steps back for that good stuff. And owh that's unfortunate that your ends will tangle again. Would be nice if you could reap the benefits of your curls clumping and therefore diminishing the chances of tangles instead of your ends being a pain in the butt boooo.

Ah contemplating a plait out huh, well feel free to share pics of Cleo in her current state and after the plait out if you do decide to go for it.

As for me, I think I might do a ACV wash and condition next wash, which is very soon.

Oh and I am slightly annoyed, my satin scarf decided to hide, so I had to cover with another polyester scarf that isn't as smooth, lol... grrrr. Awe well, I'll find it once I stop looking for it I guess. It's only been a day.

Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 12:14pm
@LadyAradia I honestly have no idea. I have heard very good things about that product line though. A quick google search lead me to the answer no.

http://www.lipstickalley.com/f38/independent-black-owned-hair-care-products-companies-beauty-supply-stores-230897/index2.html
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 64>
  Share Topic