Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

A black identity question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

When I was younger, I walked around B&N looking for something to read... came across African American novels or something like that. That bothered me. They were in a separate section. I don't judge those who consider themselves Black first. For the most part... I usually consider myself a woman first

Maybe you should go over to woman hair media with all the colorblind women then.
It really doesn't matter what you think of yourself cause they see you at a black first either way.
Sponsored Links

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:49am
The bookstore comment is weird. Every bookstore I've been to has literature of all races in the same section. You might find African American lit in the urban lit section as well but that's only because it's popular with the urban lit crowd too. It's all about money.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:05am
Originally posted by lexis83 lexis83 wrote:

I think they want to be recognized for their work not the color of their skin/race.

Right. These people don't have enough going on in their lives if they have to precede every accomplishment etc .. with the word 'Black'.

People can see that you are Black ... but it's what you are about that should be the focus.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:26am
IA w/sang on the bookstore thing.  I've been around long enough to remember when there was no African American section and no market.  It was sad. 

I wish clear people were forced to run from their racial identity.  Something like - He's "The Decendant of a racist, raping ass dirty slave owner White American Writer".  Yes I wish the words White American held some type of stigma.  It should.   Black American "Anything" lets ME know that despite all the fckn bullsh*t American did to kill his/her dreams he/she is a published writer, doctor, actor, CEO or President. 
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 3:35pm
I agree kfoxx. I think it really does just let the future know that blacks did exist and accomplish things.

However, I now completely understand y some would prefer not to add black to their title.

It's crazy that this is even a thing almost 100 years after that text was written.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic