BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

A black identity question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 7:44pm
Mixed opinions.

I understand not wanting to be recognized solely for your race, but instead for the quality of your work. 

I find it absurd that we segregate bookstores and PUBLIC libraries ("African American" literature). It's insulting really. Toni Morrison writes American Literature, not just African American lit., and everyone should read it. She should be in the section sections as the White authors. 

With that said though, I see nothing wrong with a person referencing his/her race and using it as an opportunity to bring a different perspective/point of view to the table (bc our experiences in life are heavily influenced by our identity - racial/ethnic, religious, gender, etc). 

Sponsored Links

purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 7:59pm
This thread reminds me of an interview I heard from Don Cheadle and Kerry Washington a while ago, when the interview asked how they feel about being identified as 'black actors' in hollywood. 

Transcript of their responses:

Q: When people reference your race when describing your career - is that a point of pride or is it overplayed in the media?

Don Cheadle: "I think I'm somewhat defined by my race and I'm good with that. I actually want that to be a part of my story. I don't believe in colorblind casting. I think that is something fight for in our work - we should use all aspects of ourselves. I'm always trying to find a place where that has an impact on what I'm doing instead of going "Oh well, we're all just people, we're the same, and I have the same issues you have."

Kerry Washington: "Yeah, I agree, I think it's relevant in the way that gender is relevant. I bring something to the table as a woman, I bring something to the table as a person of color. I feel that if it's the only thing you focus on, it's a danger, and if you never talk about it, it's a danger. The balance is where we should be living when it comes to race." 

Full interview for those interested. Love these two - very intelligent, articulate individuals thoughtfully and eloquently answering questions. 

Edited by purpulicious01 - Feb 25 2014 at 8:00pm
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 9:49am
Do u guys think that if someone is mentioned for an accomplishment that its automatically assumed that they were white?

Random ex: first man to cure aids, or developer of time machine?
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 9:20pm
My sister and I JUST had this conversation and I have come to the following...As a "creative" I do not want to be a "black" artist because when you are known as a "black" artist/designer/buisness person\whatever you will then be placed into a certain category and everything about you becomes based on that label. 

I will use myself as an example because I don't want to use pretenses on the work of others.  when I design or illustrate characters as simply an "artist" or "illustrator with NO mention of my race or sex, I am free to draw whatever I want.  Most of my work includes a non-European aesthetic.  When I identify my work as being "black" it instantly becomes political in a way that I don't necessarily intend my work to be.  I want to be free to draw a blond haired white girl without somebody saying I want to look like that.  I want to have a variety of audiences embrace my afro wearing character because she's pretty and a well developed character...not because they want to sing kumbya.  My work that happens to have color...I want it to be great work that happens to have color in it.

As a black person becoming a "black [whatever]" anything in your life that is not "black enough" will come under fire.  I wouldn't care but telling people to kick rocks all the time would just become exhausting. lol  People intrject all of their own assumptions and schema into your life, they start thinking you said stuff you ain't said when you become a "black [whatever]".  You have to keep up with all things black.  I just like making things in my little hovel taking life one day at a time, I don't have the emotional energy to get into "the struggle" no more.
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by purpulicious01 purpulicious01 wrote:

Mixed opinions.

I understand not wanting to be recognized solely for your race, but instead for the quality of your work. 

I find it absurd that we segregate bookstores and PUBLIC libraries ("African American" literature). It's insulting really. Toni Morrison writes American Literature, not just African American lit., and everyone should read it. She should be in the section sections as the White authors. 

With that said though, I see nothing wrong with a person referencing his/her race and using it as an opportunity to bring a different perspective/point of view to the table (bc our experiences in life are heavily influenced by our identity - racial/ethnic, religious, gender, etc). 

IA with this sentiment.  We will never become normalized into society if people can still choose to bypass us.
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 9:25pm
When I was younger, I walked around B&N looking for something to read... came across African American novels or something like that. That bothered me. They were in a separate section. I don't judge those who consider themselves Black first. For the most part... I usually consider myself a woman first
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:41am
Man I'm mad as they desegregated black books in the library and B&N.
I'm really pissed at yall for that.
Now I gotta go through all these cracka books to find the nigguh books.
yall man.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

When I was younger, I walked around B&N looking for something to read... came across African American novels or something like that. That bothered me. They were in a separate section. I don't judge those who consider themselves Black first. For the most part... I usually consider myself a woman first

Maybe you should go over to woman hair media with all the colorblind women then.
It really doesn't matter what you think of yourself cause they see you at a black first either way.
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:49am
The bookstore comment is weird. Every bookstore I've been to has literature of all races in the same section. You might find African American lit in the urban lit section as well but that's only because it's popular with the urban lit crowd too. It's all about money.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 9:05am
Originally posted by lexis83 lexis83 wrote:

I think they want to be recognized for their work not the color of their skin/race.

Right. These people don't have enough going on in their lives if they have to precede every accomplishment etc .. with the word 'Black'.

People can see that you are Black ... but it's what you are about that should be the focus.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic