BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

A black identity question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 3:30pm
the issue is people who are offended when you don't want to subscribe to their labels.

If you chose to describe yourself as a "black artist" Kudo's.
But when others define you its often dependent on their definition right.

Whats your definition got to do with me? (just speaking in general) Why is their an assumption that I don't know as much about what it means to be black as you do.  

I think thats where we run into unnecessary internal conflict.
Sponsored Links

OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by bg bg wrote:

"How do u feel about that? Is it equality or ignorance?"

i wouldn't necessarily say its ignorance, probably more like assimilation?

imo there is nothing wrong with being a 'black anything', it should be a sense of pride that comes along with it versus a sense of shame

there are reasons to label yourself as a 'BLACK WHATEVER' in this country considering our history here...

you can TRY to alleviate your color from the equation but white's NEVER will...so turn that negative into a positive and be proud of your racial identity...its the one thing i like about Jews Stern Smile

Under this scenario… I don't think its about Color.
Its not really about a reactionary response to white peoples ignorance and negativity towards blacks either.

I think in a lot of cases… its really about ART.
Like.. I know people who really take their Art seriously… music production, writing, fine arts… because they live in that world... They create for that world… and they want that world to represent them before anything else.

For a serious artist its not a game… thats why some of them are called starving artist.

Edited by OoDles O - Feb 25 2014 at 3:37pm
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 3:36pm
I don't feel the need to have a measure my blackness competition, do what works for you.
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 3:47pm
It's a catch 22 tho. If u want to be identified as a black poet then u will only be compared to other black poets. A lot of artists don't want their work put in a box like that. I don't see someone like Spike Lee and think "he's a great black director". I think "He's a great director". 
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

It's a catch 22 tho. If u want to be identified as a black poet then u will only be compared to other black poets. A lot of artists don't want their work put in a box like that. I don't see someone like Spike Lee and think "he's a great black director". I think "He's a great director". 

That's like saying you can't have a BET award and a grammy at the same time. This is what is killing what we know as black culture and making it ripe for the taking. 

There used to be a time, when rappers and r&b artists made music for black people. those were the glory days, those days we had black artists holding the number 1 spot on the billboard. now that black artists want to be mainstream, they opened the door for others to come and say "why can't i?". we went an entire year without a black artist in the number 1 spot in music. there is no coincidence that black music and culture has and will be continue to be stolen from us. we're too busy trying to be race neutral. 

Toni Morrison is black. I would consider her a black author if anyone asks. Why? Because her books are about black culture and feature black characters. Toni Morrison also has a pulitzer prize in fiction. Her identity is intertwined with her craft, she wouldn't be who she was as an author if she disregarded what she brought to the table through her experience as a black woman. One interesting thing about her book Beloved. White people did not catch on to her at first, it was the black community of book critics that raised her voices when she was being looked over by the establishment. 

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 6:38pm
I was saying a person who feels like they have to qualify their position as a professional or whatever by objectifying their race or who feel like they are defined by it has more problems than a little bit...
As a human being we are diverse you let your work speak for its self by trying to EXPLAIN away your blackness make you seem a bit silly IMO!  
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 6:54pm
yeah….. imho I don't think you can steal black culture… like steal it.

Secondly even if you could.., we will always come up with something new and better.

Edited by OoDles O - Feb 25 2014 at 6:55pm
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 7:05pm
Its been happening forever- I think she means steal the credit 
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 7:08pm
it is weird to me.

I am proud to be black though
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Its been happening forever- I think she means steal the credit 

+ bastardize and redefine so it no longer resembles what it used to be. 
we will see when the top 10 rap albums are all clear folk.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>