BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

A black identity question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A black identity question
    Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 12:10pm
You know how people say things like, "I'm just an actor, not a black actor." Or, "I'm a doctor, not a black dr."

How do u feel about that? Is it equality or ignorance?

Here's Langston Hughes:

"One of the most promising of the young Negro poets said to me once, "I want to be a poet--not a Negro poet," meaning, I believe, "I want to write like a white poet"; meaning subconsciously, "I would like to be a white poet"; meaning behind that, "I would like to be white." And I was sorry the young man said that, for no great poet has ever been afraid of being himself. And I doubted then that, with his desire to run away spiritually from his race, this boy would ever be a great poet. But this is the mountain standing in the way of any true Negro art in America--this urge within the race toward whiteness, the desire to pour racial individuality into the mold of American standardization, and to be as little Negro and as much American as possible."
Sponsored Links

Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 12:16pm
U can be both. U can be a great black doctor and just a great doctor. Langston Hughes was from a different time. I'm sure black people don't go around telling people their occupation and saying "I'm a black doctor" or "I'm a black secretary" 
lexis83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (21) Thanks(21)   Quote lexis83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 12:20pm
I think they want to be recognized for their work not the color of their skin/race.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 2:18pm
@m, haven't u heard people say this recently?

@l, I agree with that, but does that suggest that when they r referred to as a black ___ that they don't want the black attached?
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 2:29pm
i think people sound stupid saying things like this~ 
who you explaining this too? 
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 2:32pm
I affiliate with being a black and female at all times and I join black and female affinity groups as well.
If I was a poet, I'd be a part of the black poet's guild. Actually I'd be the president.
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 2:58pm
I hate this either-or mentality and this default position back to whiteness.
Its not that simple.

Maybe a black artist's brand of Art is African themes and/or black cultural traditions …
but just being a black person.. they shouldn't be defined as a black Artist… thats a narrow description.

Maybe they want to paint landscapes or write about Aliens… Whats that have to do with black art?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

i think people sound stupid saying things like this~ 
who you explaining this too? 

Excuse me if I have misunderstood ur question because I wasn't sure

I'm not explaining anything. I'm reading this for african lit class and thought it was interesting to discuss
bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 3:09pm
"How do u feel about that? Is it equality or ignorance?"

i wouldn't necessarily say its ignorance, probably more like assimilation?

imo there is nothing wrong with being a 'black anything', it should be a sense of pride that comes along with it versus a sense of shame

there are reasons to label yourself as a 'BLACK WHATEVER' in this country considering our history here...

you can TRY to alleviate your color from the equation but white's NEVER will...so turn that negative into a positive and be proud of your racial identity...its the one thing i like about Jews Stern Smile

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

I hate this either-or mentality and this default position back to whiteness.
Its not that simple.

Maybe a black artist's brand of Art is African themes and/or black cultural traditions …
but just being a black person.. they shouldn't be defined as a black Artist… thats a narrow description.

Maybe they want to paint landscapes or write about Aliens… Whats that have to do with black art?

Or you have a narrow opinion of what blackness is. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>