FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

90% water

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90% water
    Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:47pm

We know that the ingredients listed first on your products are in higher concentration than the ingredients listed last.  But did you realize how little of the ingredients listed lower are actually in your product?  For example, I’ve concluded through a little bit of research that this conditioner by Argan Magic (it’s a pretty good product, so don’t knock it just because of this thread) is actually more than 90% water and fatty alcohols.

http://www.jocottbrands.com/images/products/product_164.jpg" /> 

Here’s how I concluded...I was interested in knowing what this ingredient steartrimonium chloride actually is.  According to Johnson and Johnson, it’s a stabilizer with anti static properties and helps to balance the pH of your product.  However, there are some international guidelines (listed here) that say this ingredient is to be used in concentrations less than 2.5% for rinse off hair products.

Now I’ve looked lots of different places, and the FDA doesn’t regulate on this type of thing.  But the highest concentration guidelines I’ve found for this ingredient are only 10%.  That means all of those other “goodies” like shea butter, and argan oil are in super low concentrations.

Conclusion: if you want the benefits of all those yummy natural oils and butters in your regimen, you might as well buy the ingredients raw.  After researching just a little bit (barely even scratching the surface) I’m going to recommend that you add some real butters and oils to your hair products. 

Edited by krisviola1 - Aug 10 2013 at 7:47pm
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:49pm
Here are the ingredients.  Like I said, it's still a quality product, but I like for the product to back up the claims on the bottle and stand up for itself in all areas.

Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Steartrimonium Chloride, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Centrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Triethanolamine, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance

(I transcribed the names of the chemicals from the back of the bottle, so don't hit me for spelling errors)

relaxedtresses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relaxedtresses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2013 at 7:25am
Interesting....and I believe it
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2013 at 7:42am
I also agree that  store bought conditioners are 90% water, because I have recently started using natural oils, yogurt, honey. egg yolk, braggs amino acids, henna/cassia INSTEAD of store bought conditioners.

I ONLY use store bought cream rinse now for the most part (although I still love aphogee and silicone mix) I use cream rinse to  co wash and to emulsify the hair/give slip after I rinse out the real treatments. So basically just dollar store cream rinse now.

Edited by LadyAradia - Aug 11 2013 at 8:21am
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 11:30am
interesting and very informative. but the question really is, especially when we delve into the hype of the signification of ingredients, and whether these ingredients are helpful and in which quantities, is whether or not the products in question actually do what they are designed to do? the reason i bring this up is because most of the products i've used that have worked the best for me: ORS moisturizing lotion, mane n tail conditioner, suave pro sleek conditioner, etc. 
have ingredients that i'm sure many would see as a no-no.
especially in the ORS with petroleum or mineral oil( can't remember which) being pretty high up on the list, and most people see suave as cheap and therefore conclude ineffectual by virtue of it being cheap, etc.
that i have to wonder whether or not it truly matters how low the good stuff is in concentration? because let's say there's shea butter listed in a product, and it's somewhere to the middle to end of the listing. well, let's conjecture further that there probably isn't enough of the shea butter in that product to shake a stick at. does it matter, though?
if you use the product and it makes your hair feel fantastic, does what it's supposed to do, then are we really upset?
and if we are upset, then we must look at why. is it because we feel cheated, in that the product hyped up the fact that it had that particular ingredient and thereby charged some exorbitant amount for it? are we mad because our expectations were that there would be more of it because we assumed that more automatically equates with higher quality? 
i think there's always a need to be objective when we analyze products and their ingredients. there's a reason why those products sell, and the reason is that they work for a substantial number of people- or at least enough people to justify keeping the shelves stocked. 
so i wouldn't not use a product or villify it (not saying that's what you're doing here, but a LOT of naturals do) on the basis of the good ingredients being pathetically low to nonexistent. 
now with that said, if it's something that's uber important to someone, that their products have high concentrations of a particular ingredient, then your advice is the best advice in that they should add their own raw ingredients to the product themselves, or even better, just concoct their own stuff. kitchen recipe-it. 

thanks for bringing awareness to this topic. i'll think about this the next time i look at a product that seems pricier than most, and really ask myself, is the price justified, considering the amounts of the rest of the stuff down the list. 

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 12:13pm
It makes sense to me because there are some people, present party included, whose hair does a bit better with a mostly water product since the hair is porous.  I know for me, I can use oils and butters sparingly or else it winds up on my face.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 10:10pm
Ladybug, you are very right. And like I said, the conditioner I originally posted about is a good product. I've used out for cowashing, deep conditioning, even shaving.

With people who are super picky with their product ingredients, sometimes there are environmental concerns or worries about the toxicity of the ingredients. In the 50s some lipsticks were made with lead and mercury. Before that medications even had arsenic! With the level of knowledge companies like Johnson & Johnson or the company that produces argan magic, I like to think they have the scientific savvy not to poisson their consumers. However, you don't know what future science could prove. I mean, black women are more likely to develop uterine fibroids as a result of using relaxers. You can quote me on that one.

Whatever. I like the product. But the advertising and marketing on most everything we use is wack. I want to increase media literacy and help people know what they're paying money for.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic