Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

7 Keys to College Readiness....Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

you can take an AP course without taking the exam?
i don't get it.

sounds like a plot from schools to boost kids GPAs. 

my hs bf never took his AP exams.
primarily bc he didn't want to ask him mom for the money. they weren't that well off.
but at the time he had got a 1590/1600 on his psat and a 1500 on his SAT
colleges weren't pressed.

we paid for AP exams???
man... lol. Confused

do you mean you?
yes.
we went to public school
i didnt pay for them bc i filled out a form
since they didn't ask for receipts, i just went with it
Sponsored Links

Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 12:57pm
i'm "taught" in college. i don't really do much self-learning.
unless i have to during a research paper/project or something.

it all depends. 
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

hmmmm...in that case...the same would apply to grade school and hs.  you are expected to come to the table with the necessary pre-requisites for a given class.

i was really referring to labs and such.

but anyway, i will say there are some teachers/professors who are better at connecting the why.

i used to tutor math students in hs and college.  the biggest thing blocking their understanding was the "why".  i would always try and find a way to get them to think in terms of their interests to get them to see how and why something would be used.

all of the people i tutored did MUCH better after....if i do say so myself...ahem...ahem...lol

i even tutored my aunt in college algebra over the phone...lawd....that was sort of a mess.  i was living in nyc and she was here.  i got her thru it over the phone tho...lol

we've come so far havent' we?LOL I was just talking about how I used to do over the phone instruction . Now we have skype and things are so much easierLOL
Marmonette View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmonette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 12:59pm
Awww ThoughtCouture, I wish I had a math tutor like that. I was ALWAYS asking "why"...

I had to go to Sylvan Learning Center and they could only do so much to help my slow behind.
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 12:59pm
i never knew you had to pay for AP/IB exams. like that was never discussed with me. 
we just all knew that at the end, we would have to take them. 

sang -- i think you can be taught in college. but the point of college is no longer "knowledge" based information. its developing and applying these ideas. 
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

we've come so far havent' we?LOL I was just talking about how I used to do over the phone instruction . Now we have skype and things are so much easierLOL

yes girl!  i was flying blind most of the time...lol  she got a B tho...pops collars!

maybe could have gotten that A if we had skype!
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Marmonette Marmonette wrote:

Awww ThoughtCouture, I wish I had a math tutor like that. I was ALWAYS asking "why"...

I had to go to Sylvan Learning Center and they could only do so much to help my slow behind.

LOL i'm sorry you had to go thru that!Hug
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 1:03pm
The only class I was actually taught in was my Software Design class.
I've never taken a science class so I don't know how those go.

Yea AP tests are like $80 I believe.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

yes girl!  i was flying blind most of the time...lol  she got a B tho...pops collars!

maybe could have gotten that A if we had skype!

I shudder when  think of how many in depth computer instructions I've done over the phone with my sis 600 miles away--who ddn't even know how to hold a mouse (she was usng it backwards). Imagine trying to tell someone that green how to edit the registry over the phone LOL. Took me about a hour to help her find the registry!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

The only class I was actually taught in was my Software Design class.
I've never taken a science class so I don't know how those go.

Yea AP tests are like $80 I believe.

are you a software designer?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic