Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

7 Keys to College Readiness....Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

you can take an AP course without taking the exam?
i don't get it.

sounds like a plot from schools to boost kids GPAs. 

it's like padding your cv or resume
Sponsored Links

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:15am
i guess...
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

college is high school with more freedom and a bigger campus

and i agree with elohim, regurgitate the information and make it sound nice. professors just like to hear themselves talk and want to make sure you listened/agree with what they had to say

im in a class right now and this man won't shut the f up. all he does it talk about himself and what he has done and his opinions. shut.up.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

you can take an AP course without taking the exam?
i don't get it.

sounds like a plot from schools to boost kids GPAs. 

my hs bf never took his AP exams.
primarily bc he didn't want to ask him mom for the money. they weren't that well off.
but at the time he had got a 1590/1600 on his psat and a 1500 on his SAT
colleges weren't pressed.
nala52808 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nala52808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:25am
Professors are a waste of money. That's why I never go to class. I teach myself that sh!t and get an A on all my tests like a boss.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:27am
Blah blah blah blah college blah blah blah blah.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Blah blah blah blah college blah blah blah blah.

lol

well people need to do more than just rely on a high school education, point blank
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:31am

America Shows No Increase in College Graduation Rates over the last 30 Years

Jared Bernstein (via Paul Krugman) highlights an amazing breakdown in the prospects for reducing economic inequality any time soon. Over the last 30 years, the U.S. has made no progress whatsoever in increasing college graduation rates. To be specific, 25-34 year olds in 2009 had a college degree rate of about 40%, almost exactly the same as for 55-64 year old baby boomers. In the meantime, other industrialized countries were racking up substantial gains, most spectacularly in the case of South Korea where a little over 10% of 55-64 year olds have college degrees, but more than 60% in the 25-34 age group do. If you want to understand how South Korea has gone from a poor developing country to an industrial powerhouse within our lifetimes, this is one big reason.

...the U.S. has fallen from a tie for second with Canada among current OECD members (Russia is not a member) to 15th in the OECD. The big question is why this is happening. One major reason is rising college costs, which have far outstripped overall inflation.

...the rate of cost increase for public four-year universities was the most rapid of all. One big reason for that, of course, is reduced state support of higher education. Citing State Higher Education Executive Officers, the National Conference of State Legislatures reports that state appropriations per student, at $6928 in fiscal year 2009, was more than $1000 below its FY 2001 peak, and lower in real terms "than in most years since FY 1980" (p. 1). As Bernstein argues, Pell grants are one way to offset this problem, and he points out that the Obama administration has strengthened the program. However, the Ryan budget would slash Pell grants, among many other programs, in order to fund a tax cut for millionaires of almost $400,000, per Bernstein.

As Alan Krueger noted in January, there is a strong relationship between higher inequality and lower social mobility. The OECD data show that the U.S. is making no progress on one of the most important tools for social mobility, college. If access to higher education in this country actually declines, as it is threatening to do, our inequality problem will become infinitely harder to solve.

Edited by SamoneLenior - Nov 30 2012 at 10:31am
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:43am
^wow. no wonder Obama has that education initiative. but while we're not graduating more ppl, way more ppl are in debt.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:48am
i always giggle at this sort of thing.  because i just naturally assumed i wasn't prepared for college due to the medias constant reference to the fact that chicago public schools in the ghetto were the wackest of the wack...

turns out i was waaaaaaaaaay more prepared than 90% of my white contemporaries.  most of them had NEVER completed a research paper or spoken publically...shrugs...

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Nov 30 2012 at 10:55am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic