Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

7 Keys to College Readiness....Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 8:53am
The standards in the OP are reasonable. I think those are basic, for like a community college. It certainly isn't overachieving. Just saying...

Edited by Limalady - Nov 30 2012 at 8:53am
Sponsored Links

Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 8:55am
kind of low standards... but i understand what they're saying.
it's fine though. a parent can't really force the true nature of their child (no matter how much they might want to) so if the child isn't mature enough for college by the time they get to college - in order to stay in their classes - you can't really change that. 

theres no structure in that development, but you can work on their work ethic and their academic achievements. 
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:00am
Key 6 is kind of useless. You don't need to take an AP class to get into college. Most people don't, and even if you fail the AP exam, it won't keep you out of college. I'm pretty sure even top-tier schools won't reconsider an admitted applicant that failed the AP exam. 

I took 3 AP classes, and only took 1 AP exam. I would almost recommend taking the AP course, and not taking the exam. Then once you see the material in college, it is familiar. I breezed though intro Chem and Bio, because the material was familiar and kind of easy due to my AP courses.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Key 6 is kind of useless. You don't need to take an AP class to get into college. Most people don't, and even if you fail the AP exam, it won't keep you out of college. I'm pretty sure even top-tier schools won't reconsider an admitted applicant that failed the AP exam. 

I took 3 AP classes, and only took 1 AP exam. I would almost recommend taking the AP course, and not taking the exam. Then once you see the material in college, it is familiar. I breezed though intro Chem and Bio, because the material was familiar and kind of easy due to my AP courses.

I don't think they are saying if you don't take it or fail that you won't get into college
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:02am
you can take an AP course without taking the exam?
i don't get it.

sounds like a plot from schools to boost kids GPAs. 
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:03am
Nice suggestions but use it as a rough guide not a check list. I never took the ACT and SAT but I had a lot of other experiences that helped me. College is not the 13th grade. 
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:03am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

I don't think they are saying if you don't take it or fail that you won't get into college

The implication of "3 on AP exam" on a College Readiness list, is that if you don't get a 3 on the AP exam you aren't prepared for college, and I just disagree.

Edited by Limalady - Nov 30 2012 at 9:07am
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

you can take an AP course without taking the exam?
i don't get it.

sounds like a plot from schools to boost kids GPAs. 

You absolutely can. The AP exam is optional. I did not take the Calculus AP exam or the Chemistry one. I did not need the stress, but having seen the material did make those course much easier in college. I think I would like key 6 more if it said, "Take AP course." Taking the courses do help prepare you for college, since it is college material.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:08am

I completed IB English and Art and took both exams

I do agree your classroom experience is where you obviously learn the most, the test is there to measure what you have learned

but getting a higher score on an AP or IB test does show that you (possibly) retained more information from the given class and can test well on that subject

so, I would agree that those that get higher scores are probably more prepared (in that subject) than those that get lower scores ......doesn't mean they will automatically breeze through college though or that those that fail or don't even take the class will struggle in college

Edited by SamoneLenior - Nov 30 2012 at 9:08am
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:10am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I completed IB English and Art and took both exams

I do agree your classroom experience is where you obviously learn the most, the test is there to measure what you have learned

but getting a higher score on an AP or IB test does show that you (possibly) retained more information from the given class and can test well on that subject

so, I would agree that those that get higher scores are probably more prepared (in that subject) than those that get lower scores ......doesn't mean they will automatically breeze through college though or that those that fail or don't even take the class will struggle in college

That is true. If the list is to measure college preparedness, and not a list of how to prepare, then key 6 is not useless.

ETA: The other goals say "Take this course, by this time. Get this grade." Key 6 just says, "Get this score." I just think that taking the course already is a measure of preparedness.

Edited by Limalady - Nov 30 2012 at 9:14am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System