BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

63% of Americans Believe Blacks...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
whosbotheringme View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote whosbotheringme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

to say it isn't as beneficial for poorer blacks to be socially conscious is also a strange idea

Strange idea is not a strong enough word for how strange it is.  How do you move past something without recognizing it fully first?  I again don't understand.

I think "integration" was probably one of the worse things for us ever.  And saying integration is funny because this joint is still so segregated it's crazy.

Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:22pm

I have a friend with a half black son that has said she isn't interested in slavery and such because it is in the past

she then went on to explain how her son is ashamed of his black side or at least isn't that interested in it

I thought it was funny how she didn't connect the two things

anyway I would post the episodes of the pbs special on african american history on facebook and she would watch them

she let me know how much she appreciated it and how it broke her heart and she did cry

I don't how she currently feels but I had a feeling she was dismissive due to a true lack of understanding of what has happened and is still happening in this country

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jul 02 2014 at 10:29pm
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

when i finally realized the level of resistance we face, i legit bawled 
lol it was like this coming of age for me and i was depressed about it for ions 

now im just numb and hold a deep anger for the mizungus

That happened to me when I was like 8 or 9. That's when I first read Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl and the series Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. Those books legit broke me down. Because even as a kid, I could see how that was the world I was still living in.

So now 20 years later, things are just as bad when it comes to how racism affects black people's lives.

But, still I keep going back to the fact that whatever the circumstances you can still try to make a "good" choice. Or at least, the better of what you're presented.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:28pm

Ignoring racism won't make it go away and it CAN go away

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a day where you don't have to "beat" the system?  Where the system works in your favor as it does others? At the very least not against you?

Laws, processes, institutions, paradigms, stereotypes, socioeconomic conditions can change... 

In my opinion acknowledging racism exists and exposing and analysing where it exists and how gives us the tools to dismantle it vs denial and flying under the radar 

The latter makes racism intangible, nebulous when in reality it is quite concrete 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:30pm
i see yall already covered it, I'm catching up with the thread
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:33pm
I'm certainly not advocating for ignoring racism or not being socially conscious.

I'm just saying that whether a person is fighting against it, just acknowledging it, or ignoring it...at the end of the day it's all the same because what matters is that a person makes the best choices they can given the circumstances.

JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:33pm
I guess I'm not really clear how  the victims of racism have any power to effect change to racism, as clearly we have no power - hence the impact of racism...

I mean behind all of the laws, processes, institutions etc is a racist mindset belonging to those who do have the power, which influences these things.... how do you change a mindset? open question...
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:38pm

you can't change someone's beliefs if they are not open to change

I'm not interested in changing how a racist person feels

since, like I just said I can't make them change their views

I do want to make sure laws are in place that protect my rights and that they are enforced

the only minds I care about possibly changing are the minds of new blacks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:39pm
I stan for you too mshairdo... we were ready to send out a search party after you... hope those girls are no longer bothering your peace
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:42pm
most poor folks are concerned with where their next meal and money for rent is coming from. that leaves little room for them to aim towards achieving goals that they've no up close and personal examples of, let alone spending every waking moment thinking about how the man is trying to hold us down.

the idea of pulling oneself up by the bootstrap is null and void if you don't have any boots to begin with. white folks boots are hand me downs until they're able to purchase a new pair and pass those down. we don't have that luxury.

Edited by noneyons - Jul 02 2014 at 10:44pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style