Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 63% of Americans Believe Blacks...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection
 

63% of Americans Believe Blacks...

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>




The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 21 2009
Location: your dreams
Status: Offline
Points: 146321
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

White people have NEVER throughout history thought racism was a problem. Ever. Like, pull studies from the 60s or even the 30s. They have CONSISTENTLY never thought they were racist and that blacks not getting ahead was our own fault. Those stats, about their perception of blacks, have not changed in centuries. That's horrible. That's why it pisses me off to see them emulate our culture. They think blackness is cool. Being "hood" is cool. Living in the ghetto makes you tough therefore also being "cool", but at the same time they feel like all blacks are there out of just being stupid and lazy...and for the nu ni88as that want to act like "well dat do be da case"...white people feeling like that is not anything new. Even in the 50s when blacks were poor white people thought it was our fault. So it amazes me when blacks take the bait. Nu ni88as and ignorance is what is setting us back within our own community. If we collectively stood for something and held together we would probably be at least respected as a force to be acknowledged. 

They live in a society where our pain is looked at as an "excuse". But at the SAME time, they will go IN on how Germany was wrong in how they treated Jews. 

I also think it is extremely intellectually dishonest to act like centuries of oppression, coupled with being institutionally blocked from ALL levels of progression (housing, education, employment) all the way up to the late 60s means nothing. Our grandparents lived during the Civil Rights Era. That's 50-60 years ago. This means the only realistic opportunity for blacks to progress started around 1968. 1970s really. That generation was our grandparents. Most black families started from either a shack in the country (working as a sharecropper or in general farm/labor on a white man's land getting paid pennies) or in the ghetto/projects. White families did not. They had about a 500 year time frame over blacks to "pull themselves up". All while making money off of the labor of our grandparents which they left in land, investments, and general property (old money) to their white children. So who is really the lazy ones when your entire race has had a silver spoon in it's mouth and all things your family has is steeped in white privilege? 

Truthfully, blacks have had about 60-70 years to "rise" from nothing. Literally nothing. I think where we are now, despite the extreme amount of negativity that blacks have for themselves and whites have towards us, is very good considering our history. 

New blacks phuck everything up. White people are NOT on your side, never will be and never have been. Every ethnic group has been compensated in SOME way for their ethnic group being abused, and therefore set back in progression.....except for blacks...even if it was just acknowledgement. I think our grandparents should at LEAST receive something for what they faced. We can prove they were disenfranchised. My grandma can go to the Civil Rights Museum in Birmingham right now and point to pictures of some of her classmates that were attacked. But blacks who finally do "make it" are so grateful for just 3% of the pie they don't bother to reach for even half. It's very sad. 




too much power n truth in this
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 28 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 42697
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 7:50pm
Racism effecting blacks and racism being the singular determining factor on the quality of life for a black person are two completely different things.
Back to Top
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 28 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 42697
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

it's ok modeless

there's nothing "to go back and forth on" cos your point doesn't make sense (racism exists but it can't hold blacks back in this day and age)

it's okay to be wrong, that's how we learn and grow



It definitely holds "some" blacks back. It depends where you are starting from, and I don't mean economically. The one advantage I always feel black foreigners have is that by the time they fully understand the extent of racism, they've already accomplished many of their major life goals. I used to see it as a crutch and accuse them of being "ignorant" but now I see how it works in their favor.

Social awareness in the black community is great for educated and upper middle class blacks, but what they don't understand about it is that it cripples poor blacks especially those in neighborhoods that the government doesn't invest in. Its breeding a culture of helplessness in these people, and its the last thing they need. Lets not act brand new and pretend there aren't tons of young black men and women who throw their hands up because they've been taught for so long that because the system is against them that there is no point trying. Its not helpful, and blacks need to be careful how they paint this picture. Drilling the "unfairness" of things into children's heads doesn't accomplish anything. It needs to be balanced with discussions of initiatives that can be taken to try and beat the system.
Back to Top
whosbotheringme View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 15 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 18224
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote whosbotheringme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

it's ok modeless

there's nothing "to go back and forth on" cos your point doesn't make sense (racism exists but it can't hold blacks back in this day and age)

it's okay to be wrong, that's how we learn and grow



It definitely holds "some" blacks back. It depends where you are starting from, and I don't mean economically. The one advantage I always feel black foreigners have is that by the time they fully understand the extent of racism, they've already accomplished many of their major life goals. I used to see it as a crutch and accuse them of being "ignorant" but now I see how it works in their favor.

Social awareness in the black community is great for educated and upper middle class blacks, but what they don't understand about it is that it cripples poor blacks especially those in neighborhoods that the government doesn't invest in. Its breeding a culture of helplessness in these people, and its the last thing they need. Lets not act brand new and pretend there aren't tons of young black men and women who throw their hands up because they've been taught for so long that because the system is against them that there is no point trying. Its not helpful, and blacks need to be careful how they paint this picture. Drilling the "unfairness" of things into children's heads doesn't accomplish anything. It needs to be balanced with discussions of initiatives that can be taken to try and beat the system.


I agree that a lot of people are bottom stuck because of the systematic racism over the generations, and they don't know anything else, feel helpless, etc.  And I too wish there was an easy way for them to "get it together".  But if all black people in this country, American and foreign born - because they are not all successful either - were to at once say "we are all going to get up and go get it"... watch how fast the Klan comes out from their not so hidden hiding places to stop that RIGHT in its tracks.

And it's interesting, and Malcolm X made this point:  some of these street hustlers have more business savvy than a lot of board room executives.  It's not easy running a drug or number racket, and believe that the ones that build large ones are no dummies.  If given the same opportunities as Biff, Muffy nem, corporate America would be in for a problem.

Back to Top
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 28 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 211968
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Racism affecting blacks and racism being the singular determining factor on the quality of life for a black person are two completely different things.

This is the OP statement:

Poll: 63% of Americans Believe ‘Blacks who can’t get ahead are mostly responsible for their own condition’


It sounded as though you agreed with the statement. Did I misunderstand your posts? Are you among the 63%?



Back to Top
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 09 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 36469
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 8:44pm
Hi! *waves*

I'm not from Texas, I reside in Texas, but I'm from a poor, country, hick town in North Carolina. My views are likely different from someone that grew up in the inner city, the "ghetto/hood." Simply because I can only attest to MY observations. To me,MY observations validate MY opinions. Just like the next person's observations validate theirs.

We could sit here until Jesus comes, and surely there is nothing anyone can say to me to change MY opinion, just like there's nothing I can say that will change theirs. Just because I don't agree doesn't mean that they're lying or in denial, it just means I don't agree. That's why the insults, whether implied or direct, in these type of discussions baffle me.

How does one justify "beating someone down" because of their views on a subject? What point can you get across? How can their be open dialogue when it's a "If you don't see it, you're an idiot/a coon/in denial/ "new black". You haven't lived their life, they haven't lived yours.

MY views, (from what I surmise), make me "new Black". And if expecting people of ANY race, but since we're talking about Black people, especially Black people, to desire self sufficiency and a certain level of pride to at least ATTEMPT to not fulfill every negative stereotype about us makes me a "coon/",then dammit, I'm a "coon" for life.

I know racism exists. I spend waaaaay to much time "debating" with racists to the point I've been threatened, had obscene photoshopped images of me sent to my Facebook friends/relatives,(my own minor daughter), banned from certain forums/Facebook pages,etc.

It doesn't make me "less 'REAL' Black" than the next Black person that feels differently about certain things. But, if that applies to you and you desperately need to feel that way, to believe I'm a "coon" or Uncle Tom, that cheeses and grins in White peoples' faces and happily joins in if they say disparaging things about Black people, you obviously don't know a muthaphuckin thing about me,but by all means, knock yourself the total fcuk out. (btw, that's not "angry talk", I'm smiling as I type this.)

As a person that grew up DIRT poor, in a community of DIRT poor Black people, that many went thru all types of discrimination and racism, (AGAIN, in the South in case you forgot), MY observations/experiences were as follows:

If you can't afford to feed your family, you stop having kids until you can.

No one owes you a damn thing. It's YOUR job to provide.

If you don't work, you don't eat.

If tragedy befalls you in some way, by all means, reach out for help.
No one is without pitfalls and tragedies. But, it's always as a last resort and even then, you're still fighting to get back to norm, not a lifestyle.

It's STILL a "big deal" to have kids out of wedlock, especially numerous kids, by multiple partners. So what if your mother had 5 out of wedlock kids and they're all wealthy and successful? That's not the way that story usually ends, stop pretending like it is. If you CHOOSE to have multiple kids by "men" that won't/don't support them, then don't complain about it. What did you think was going to happen?

If you do dumb/illegal ish,you increase your chances of getting hurt/killed/maimed, etc. Shouldn't have put yourself in that situation. YES! There are people that are unfairly targeted by law enforcement and YES! I am equally outraged as the next person when that happens, but if your dumb azz breaks into someone's house, because it's "easier" for you to steal than work like the rest of us, whatever happens, happens. I will NOT be marching, holding up a sign in front of the homeowner's house, talking bout "You didn't have to shoot him. You could've shot him in the leg or something.". In fact, I'm happy that there's on less criminal on the streets.


I have NO doubt that racism still exists and it directly affects those of us that aspire for financial security and success.

And I also have NO doubt that some of us are perfectly content in self destructive/self limiting behaviors, and there are many of us with enabling mentalities that coddle them. Therefore they don't have a reason to put any effort into progression, because it's always going to be someone telling them that it's perfectly acceptable to not even TRY . "Don't worry about it, it's ok, it's a racist world. Get that welfare girl! No need to go to school, have them babies and raise them in gang infested neighborhoods. After all, corporations get welfare. White people do it too. It's ok. Only God can judge you."

Like having a group of friends that has one obese friend that's obviously suffering from health issues due to her obesity. she complains that she's sick of being obese, but doesn't do one thing to stop the cycle. One friend tells her, "I want to see you live. I know you're content with your weight, and it's your decision to make, but you're killing yourself. Your parents and other relatives were obese and dies young and you were affected by that. Don't you want to break the cycle? " Or says "Let's go to the salad bar for lunch instead of McDonald's."

The other friend:" What? She told you that you should lose weight? Girl, she's 'hating' on you. What business is it of hers? She just wants to judge you. She thinks she's better than you. She's jealous because men love "thick" women. Girl put that salad down and eat a burger!"

That's how I see it. I truly believe that we ALL want to see out people rise up to what we're capable of. Surely more can be successful. But how can you assist the ones that don't even realize that they need assistance?

It seems that we have the "coons/new blacks" and the "It's ok"/enablers.

If you're not cosigning the "Woe Is Me" petition, you're deemed a "coon".

I can explain to you, but I can't understand it for you. And having grown up poor, it's kind of hard to hear all of the "reasons"/excuses as to why it's perfectly acceptable to not try to achieve positive things. Our forefathers fought and DIED for a more even playing field. It's still not even and it NEVER will be. So does that mean some of us should just not be bothered that many of us don't even attempt to take advantage of the progress that was made?

Sorry. It won't happen. Maybe my family/social circle is an anomaly. I think that they're "regular" people. "Regular" people that grew up poor, some in the country, some in the "hood", that surely experienced racism, but didn't use it as a crutch, and are now "the Middle Class."

Yup, long as fcuk, with the usual typographical errors and horrible syntax. The usual suspects won't even bother to TRY to understand any points I attempted to make anyway. Even if they did, they wouldn't admit to it. Too busy attacking and insulting because I have an OPINION, based upon MY observations and MY experiences that dares differs from theirs.

Back to Top
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 08 2010
Location: Ethiopia
Status: Online
Points: 297072
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 8:51pm
*yawn*
Back to Top
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Apr 05 2009
Location: TTT
Status: Online
Points: 294968
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 8:58pm

ok, once i got to the bottom I realized that you thought I was attacking you simply by invoking your name?  I was genuinely curious about MD's perspective bc she doesnt go into detail & felt maybe being from the same area it made you both have similar beliefs since you are two of the most consistent in your beliefs...didn't even imply whether it was good or bad...but anyway....

i'm "new black" when it comes to closing them damn legs.
Back to Top
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 03 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 39797
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 9:16pm
I feel like some people are reluctant to examining ALL the issues that are holding black people back, and if anyone suggests something other than racism, that is frowned upon.

Of course racism is a factor, but there are others too...

We cannot control racism by definition... what about what we can control?
Back to Top
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 06 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 279371
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

modeless...not you too?



lmao you are surprised?
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down