BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

6 Lies You Always Believed About Bottled Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 Lies You Always Believed About Bottled Water
    Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 4:17am

6 Lies You Always Believed About Bottled Water

1. Bottled Water Comes From Unpolluted Natural Springs

There is no relationship between the image on your water bottle and the source of the water. While some companies make an effort to provide water from natural springs and wells, about 25 percent of the bottled water sold in the U.S. comes from municipal water supplies.

That means it’s tap water—the same water you get at home.

The bottled water industry is loosely regulated, and water sources are not clearly or consistently revealed on product labels. Don’t be taken in by the pretty pictures: Bottled water isn’t special. It’s just water.

2. Bottle Water Is an Affordable Beverage

In the U.S., a bottle of water can cost $3 or more. The equivalent amount of tap water costs less than a cent. And remember—odds are good that the bottled water and the tap water come from the same source.

Consumers are willing to pay more for bottled water because it is conveniently packaged and because it may carry a prestige label. But that’s the bottle. The water itself is drastically overpriced. If you must have the packaging, refill a used water bottle from your kitchen tap. No one will know the difference.

3. Bottled Water Is Better For You Than Tap Water

For most Americans, tap water is plenty healthy. Nonetheless, there is a booming market in filters and other technology for ensuring water is pure.

Municipal water supplies undergo daily testing to ensure quality and lack of contamination. Bottled water is tested too, but only once a week. So if there’s a problem with the water, inspectors will find it and correct it more quickly at home.

Testing standards are stricter for city water supplies than they are for water bottlers.

Moreover, bottled water is packaged in plastic bottles that are made from petroleum and other nasty chemicals. The government says that contamination from these bottles falls within safe levels, but who wants any contamination at all?

4. Water Bottles Are Recycled

While the plastics used in water bottles could be recycled, the plain truth is that recycling doesn’t work. Water bottles make up a growing percentage of the 4 billion plastic bottles that wind up in American dumps every year.

Some bottles go into landfill, where they will spend hundreds of years without degrading or decomposing. Others go into incinerators, where they release deadly cancer-causing gases into the atmosphere.

Even if you’re careful to discard your water bottles in bins marked “Recycling,” there’s a good chance they’ll wind up in a landfill somewhere.

5. Bottled Water Tastes Better

A research firm called Corporate Accountability International has conducted bottled water taste tests across the United States for the past several years.

The tests have revealed that blindfolded tasters generally can’t tell the difference between bottled water and tap water. If they report a preference, they generally prefer tap water.

In a separate test, researchers offered New York City residents bottled water and tap water from the local supply. Get this: 75 percent preferred tap water.

6. At Least Water Bottling Creates Jobs

In 2008, an organization called Food & Water Watch reported on the bottled water industry’s dismal employment record. The organization’s researchers discovered that water bottling plants require few workers—typically only a couple dozen. Most of these workers come from the home office. As a result, each plant employs somewhere between two and 10 local workers.

Food & Water Watch says that while the average American manufacturing worker was paid $51,428 in 2006, the average worker in a water bottling plant made 19.8 percent less, or $41,236.

Moreover, bottled water workers sustained more work-related injuries than workers in other kinds of manufacturing jobs.

The Bottom Line

There is no benefit to drinking bottled, supposedly-better-than-tap-water water compared to drinking from your faucet at home. If you’re concerned about the purity of your home water supply, buy an inexpensive filter and invest the money you save in eating healthier, being more active, or buying yourself a gift to reward yourself for resisting the weight of a demanding, capitalist ploy to milk your pocket dry.

source

Edited by tatee - Aug 28 2013 at 4:18am
Sponsored Links

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 4:49am
Bottled water taste better than my unfiltered tap so iono if I can fully co-sign that tap taste good.  Not to mention...I don't like the things that float in tap water.
CurlyHairedPerv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CurlyHairedPerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 4:58am
I don't like how tap smells. 
And I like the plastic taste of bottled water.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 4:58am
It does taste better... Hell, maybe I'm just saying that due to a visual bias. This article has destroyed all conceptions I've had about bottled water and water in general!
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 5:02am
I like tap water better...I only drink bottled water if I'm out and really thirsty
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 6:41am
I knew bottled water was simply tap water, but no one believed me.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 7:15am
i knew all that stuff.
ugh i hate how our tap smells in the morning... smells like bleach.
back in cali there use to be stuff in it all the time.. white stuff..
but..i will drink it from a bottle before a faucet any day...even tho..

i hate water. all of it.
chocolate03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chocolate03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 8:07am
My tap water is suspect...every now and then it comes out brown Confused
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 8:21am
I was at a conference at the Marriott and they have water on the tables all the time. The water tasted horrid. The same week I had a team meeting at the Renaissance Atlanta Waverly hotel and the water tasted the same. I tasted like metal pipes and chalk. If I'm going to drink tap water(mostly from the fridge) there has to at least have a filter.
HaitianLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote HaitianLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:31am
NYC tap water is good. I preferred it over bottled water. My house has filtered water so it taste good too.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic