Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives 2008
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked6 Best Wig Shops DC/MD/VA

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
SenatorCaroline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 Best Wig Shops DC/MD/VA
    Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 4:53pm
WinkI found this old Washington Post link highlighting the "best" wig shops in the DC area.  Just wondering if any of you ladies have visited any of the shops?  Reviews?

I have visited one or two of these.  And I found that some of the shops that make the "best" lists are often one's that cater to cancer patients and/or older white women.
Also if any of you have other reccomendations of stores that supply wigs for African-American women it would be great!

Six Stores to Score for the Perfect Wig In DC Area

By Goingplaces
Sunday, May 23, Washingtonpost.com

Eager to debut a new you at your fabulous soiree but don't know where to find a wig? To ensure you're not outdone by any partygoers, check out these stores. Any can help you embrace your inner Marilyn, Jackie or Lil' Kim, however right -- or wrong -- that may be.

ANN'S BEAUTY SUPPLIES & WIGS. 401 M St. SW. 202-554-5588. Don't be fooled by the size of this small treasure, which sits right in the plaza as you come up from the Waterfront-SEU Metro. Inside, a vast selection of wigs -- most fun, $30-and-less models (think Scarlett Johansson in "Lost in Translation") -- circle the ceiling. There are other treats, too: The store is packed with hard-to-find seasonal items priced in the most un-D.C. fashion. (If you plan to walk anywhere next winter, for example, the $2 legwarmers are a must.)

BEAUTY ISLAND. 1753 Columbia Rd. NW. 202-265-2265. Buyer, beware: You will find everything you don't need but have to have here -- from bright retro earrings (as low as $2!) to hospital scrubs and baby tees -- as you walk to the back, wig-selling corner of this Adams Morgan shop. The selection is smallish and leans more toward the natural than the outrageous.

CROWN WIGS. 706 King St., Alexandria. 703-549-7900. www.crownwigs.com. This Old Town shop is the place for wig snobs -- it stocks more than 600 models; specializes in natural, does-she-or-doesn't-she mops; and touts designers such as Henry Margu and Noriko on its Web site. It also has a variety of toupees for men. Many customers are serious wig wearers -- though by the look of Noriko's "Elena," a Jane-Fonda-in-"Klute" do, some have to be in this for recreation, too.

ESTHER'S WIG. 9309 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring. 301-585-9000. Drag queens, weekend wig wearers and stylists at the D.C. Golden Scissors hair show all hail this shop, a soup-to-nuts experience that's easily the biggest space on our list. Owner Esther Tak has been in the biz 30 years and stocks oodles of specimens -- from candy-colored plastic bobs for $20 to real human hair for over $500. Especially of note: the large selection of long-haired models -- and frequent sales.

KAY WIGS. 325 Pennsylvania Ave. SE. 202-543-6677. Congress may boast the most hairpieces on the Hill, but those looking for style know there's no recount necessary -- Kay has what you need. Tucked among the bars and restaurants of Eastern Market, this crowded basement shop will remind you of what it was like to discover your cool aunt's treasure-filled attic. Items start at $20, perfect for that adventurous staffer on a budget.

NORTHEAST WIG CO. 3905 Dix St. NE. 202-396-0005. Willing to travel? Trek to this shop near the Minnesota Avenue Metro and take advantage of its surprising variety. While it's shabbier than some others, the service is top-notch, and the store carries a large selection of just-on-the-edge-of-real hair colors, such as reds and deep auburns. A good choice: the black-fade-to-burgundy shoulder-length bob ($50). Kate Ghiloni

And I just wanted to add:

Cambridge Beauty Supply
Rhode Island Avenue NE
Washington, DC

And the Beauty Supply store in Hampton Mall
on Central Avenue in Maryland

I believe this sister makes wigs and is based in PG County:

Originally posted by likecandee likecandee wrote:

I would also suggest GiGi's in Takoma Park, MD.  They have a wide range of quality wigs and knowledgeable salespeople.

Gigi's Cosmetic & Beauty Supply
6843 New Hampshire Ave.
Takoma Park, MD 20912
(301) 270-5656

Edited by SenatorCaroline - Dec 28 2007 at 7:21am
Sponsored Links

binky622 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 4:54pm
thanks i will send this to my momWink
likecandee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 5:16pm
I would also suggest GiGi's in Takoma Park, MD.  They have a wide range of quality wigs and knowledgeable salespeople.

Gigi's Cosmetic & Beauty Supply
6843 New Hampshire Ave.
Takoma Park, MD 20912
(301) 270-5656
MDFLDiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 6:52pm
bump.  great info.
SenatorCaroline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2007 at 7:20am
bump
DySsign View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2007 at 8:59am
I went to tarsha when I was in college--she is the sister out of PG County with trendyillusions.com.  I didnt get a wig or weave at that time, but I was very impressed with the way my hair came out.Clap
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic