5 year old Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 year old Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 7:19pm
Would you use it or waste it? This product has aloe vera in it but it still doesn't smell after over 5 years. Could it still be good? The consistency looks normal too.

I bought this when I first went natural I but never really used it. I need a curl definition product anyway at this point but I don't want to shell out any coins just yet.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Apr 13 2014 at 7:20pm
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Would you use it or waste it? This product has aloe vera in it but it still doesn't smell after over 5 years. Could it still be good? The consistency looks normal too.

I bought this when I first went natural I but never really used it. I need a curl definition product anyway at this point but I don't want to shell out any coins just yet.

It has preservatives, and no expiration date. I dont see any reason u would need to waste it.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 7:39pm
Nope don't throw anything away. All is still useful. You forget how long stuff stays on the shelf. Use your products GIRL.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 7:42pm
Perfect! Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I was worried about bacteria but it seems fine.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Apr 13 2014 at 7:48pm
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 10:50pm
I'd use it, I ain't gon lie.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 11:31pm
Personally I would toss it.  Even though it contains a preservative, once you open it and use it, you are introducing bacteria and fungi into the product and the preservative is only stable for so long before it breaks down.  Again I would toss it but if you don't have sensitive skin or a strong immune system by all means use it.  I know that feeling.  I have some products that I hold on for a long time because I spent x amount of money and I hate wasting money (lies) so I would try to use it. Eventually I would toss it.  Nowadays I give it away.  My cousins and friend love me for that.
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 2:31am
If it looks and smell ok i'd use it.
nebhnebh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebhnebh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 10:14am
I would throw it out.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 12:37pm
I just used it and I don't see much curl definition. That's probably why it remained unused all these years. I know my hair can curl up real nice because after I left the salon, it looked great (She used Jane Carter Curl Defining cream followed with Blended Beauty Curl Styling Butter, though).

Gonna give it one more try and then I think I'll throw it out. Is there a specific method for applying curling gels/creams?

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Apr 15 2014 at 12:38pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 1:44pm
my experience with the gel is you need to apply enough so that you feel slip, that way the mucilaginous cast is fully formed on top of the water in your hair. then you really smooth, and pull while you rake it in thin sections, from the root to the very tip. I always smooth and rake instead of simply raking and that gives much better detangling and curl clumping.

I also do a technique where i make my hand like a thumbs up, only my fingers are not curled into a fist, instead are layed flat on my palm. Then i gently grab hair in the section and tug and pull down the section. its like raking but you do it before you actually rake and it gentley separates tangles and slides out shed hair. I call it grabbing and gliding.

These overall combined techniques enable the product to form a cast on the whole curl clump-- top, bottom, root to tip-- with out you having to be too heavy handed. These techniques are also how i detangle, and how i apply all product i want to be evenly dispersed on my hair. Except i omit the raking if im doing bentonite clay or something without slip.

The definition comes easily, although i do MHM, but i like to make sure i rake really well and do narrower rows/sections where my hair is shorter and kinkier. This helps it so your hair doesnt clump into one giant frizzy clump, and instead separtes more defined and an actual coil. It also helps different curl clumps not stick together at the tips.

By thin sections, i mean separating your hair row by row, almost like you are doing horizontal corn rolls starting from the nape and up. For me i make seven rows, and pin the hair i havent gotten to yet out of the way. And of course i apply watered down conditioner first and then apply the gel as i go along.

Overall finishing my whole head takes 25-35 minutes.

Also f your hair is an inch or shorter, you wouldnt be able to really do these techniques. Rubbing it all over your head might not work for tighter coils, plus you'd be asking for flakes. The most effective way would be to focus on one area at a time, using your fingers in and moving very fast in sharp small circular motions. You want to put the weight on your elbows, not your fingertips, and just apply conditioner and then gel as you go along.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 15 2014 at 2:35pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>