BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

5 Simple Strategies To Reduce Teen Pregnancies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 Simple Strategies To Reduce Teen Pregnancies
    Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 9:24pm
5 Simple Strategies To Reduce Teen Pregnancies That Worked In This Rural South Carolina Town

Denmark, South Carolina — a small town with a population of just over 3,500 — used to have one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country. But over the past three decades, the rural and largely impoverished community has successfully reduced its teen pregnancy rate by more than two thirds. In a new profile of the town’s local initiatives to promote safe sex, NPR suggests that the rest of the United States has a few things to learn from Denmark.
So what is Denmark doing right? The town is employing a few common sense strategies to make sure teens have the tools they need to have healthy sexual relationships:

1. Teach kids comprehensive sex ed.
At the most basic level, kids need to receive sexual health instruction in order to make healthy choices about their physical relationships. Every student in Denmark now gets comprehensive sex ed beginning in middle school. In addition to classes, students can seek out individual counseling sessions. The curriculum covers self-esteem, setting sexual boundaries, and how to effectively use contraception.

2. Target messages at teen boys, not just at the girls.
Michelle Nimmons, who leads the comprehensive sex ed program, told NPR that Denmark’s approach recognizes that teen pregnancy is not just an issue for teen girls. That’s in sharp contrast to many teen pregnancy prevention campaigns in the U.S., which sometimes focus on blaming girls for their bad choices without putting equal weight on boys’ responsibility. “We have sessions where young men and young ladies are there talking together and learning the curriculum together, because it’s important for them to have those conversations,” Nimmons noted.

3. Get the whole community involved.
Denmark’s program is both school-based and community-based. In addition to making sure students attend sex ed classes, Nimmons also partners with local beauty shops, laundromats, barber shops, and churches to spread the word about safe sex. There’s information about birth control and pregnancy everywhere. “We try to involve everyone — the churches, the schools, the businesses, the parents… so that everyone is sending the same messages to the kids,” she explained in a blog post highlighting her work on the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services’ website.

4. Make condoms widely available.
Since South Carolina’s public schools can’t pass out condoms, the Denmark community has found other ways to make birth control widely available to teens. Local business set out bowls of free condoms. Barbers hand out condoms to their young customers, telling them they need to use them to prevent both babies and AIDS. This policy has backing from medical professionals. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the nation’s largest group of doctors for children and teens, advocates for making condoms as readily accessible to teens as possible.

5. Encourage mentoring.
The older teens in Denmark are encouraged to serve as mentors to their younger peers, particularly since not every adult in the community is comfortable broaching the issue of sexuality at home. Students have the opportunity to meet together in smaller, one-hour focus groups to talk through topics related to teen sexuality and healthy relationships, and some are specifically trained to act as peer educators. Hearing messages about safe sex from peers is often more impactful than hearing it from adults.

I will be passing this on to my local government officials.  Big smile  Number 4 is pretty funny.  I'm hoping the medicaid expansions and no copay birth control will also help.  I wish more states participated. Ermm
Sponsored Links

ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 9:32pm
Clap
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 9:34pm
Close your legs and don't be a whore isn't on the list?! Lies I say, lies!!Stern Smile

lol fantastic list. I'm posting this on my social media to spread the word.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 12:39am
I think the comprehensive sex ed would be a big help.  I've been asked so many...unfortunate questions while working at my current job.

One of many, MANY examples: "I was wondering if I have sex with a woman who is pregnant with another man's baby...will my sperm kill it?"  Stern Smile
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 5:18am
Thumbs Up

when i ask people what type of sex education they received at home (including myself) it usually consists of something along the lines of "dont bring no babies home"or "you know not to get pregnant,right?".  i wonder why so many parents are afraid to have real conversations with their children and then act surprised when its too late.  there always seems to have some wishful aspect of it, that if you dont bring it up, it wont/cant happen.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 12:44pm
like this

<<
4. Make condoms widely available.
Since South Carolina’s public schools can’t pass out condoms, the Denmark community has found other ways to make birth control widely available to teens. Local business set out bowls of free condoms. Barbers hand out condoms to their young customers, telling them they need to use them to prevent both babies and AIDS. This policy has backing from medical professionals. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the nation’s largest group of doctors for children and teens, advocates for making condoms as readily accessible to teens as possible.>>
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 12:51pm
Great. I wish we'd get serious in this country about preventing pregnancies for other vulnerable populations, not just teens.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 5:35pm
They tried to do that with the ACA.  A lot of women opt for more permanent solutions like the IUD when they don't have to drop $800.  It's cheaper long-term, but they just can't afford the costs upfront.  That's why I was lamenting the fact that they didn't expand medicaid in so many states.  It really is a huge help when birth control is easily accessible.  People have been convinced that reproductive health isn't a legitimate health issue.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:01pm
I love, love, love that this includes educating you boys as well.   I think they found out first hand that abstinence and shaming do no work.  Way to goClap 

How many more counties to go?LOL
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 7:50pm
Well, that's a relief. I clicked on this expecting to see

- sterilize those 13 year old heifers
- sterilize them before they reach puberty
- Knock 'em unconscious and sterilize them
- Send them to prison and sterilize them
- And then sterilize them some more

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More