Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

39 LBS of hair on your head..is that healthy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 39 LBS of hair on your head..is that healthy?
    Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 12:37pm
Repost???  

Woman with Longest Dreadlocks: 'I Would Never Cut My Hair'

Asha Mandela (Photo by Jason Braverman/Ladov)Asha Mandela (Photo by Jason Braverman/Ladov)What helped 50-year-old Asha Mandela pull through two heart attacks, cancer, and two strokes? Her hair, she believes. "Cutting it would be equivalent to suicide. It would be like being a zombie," the woman with the world's longest dreadlocks told the Daily Mail.

Mandela, who lives with her husband and son in Atlanta, stopped cutting her hair in her 20s. "I started growing my hair 25 years ago, when I started having certain dreams and visions," she said. Growing dreadlocks was part of a spiritual journey to completely remake her life. Now, Mandela says, she has countless fans who call her a "living legend" and the "ninth wonder of the world." She has to carry her hair, which weighs in at 39 pounds, in a cloth baby sling when she goes out.

At first, her family, who originally came from Trinidad, didn't approve. "My mom told me to remove the mop from my head before I am welcomed in her home again," she recounted in a 2013 interview. "She said to me, 'Imagine, I put nice Vaseline and lard in your hair and groom it so nicely ... now look what you did to it.'"

Mandela handles her dreadlocks carefully, washing them once a week and conditioning them with natural oils. After washing, her hair can take a whopping two full days to completely dry.

Though she underwent a bilateral mastectomy followed by chemotherapy in the late 1990s, miraculously, her hair didn't fall out. According to a 2010 interview, Mandela tied her dreadlocks up into knots in order to preserve them.

In 2009, with the help of a hair-care expert who specialized in dreadlocks, the real-life Rapunzel began to untie her hair. After 12 hours of painstaking work, she discovered it had grown to unbelievable lengths over the years. In 2008, she was the first person to obtain the Guinness World Record for longest dreadlocks, and a year later, she broke her own record with a strand measuring 19 feet, 6 inches. In 2010, Guinness decided to retire the category, since dreadlocks can be lengthened by twisting in extensions, making Mandela the first and only record holder.

But 19-and-a-half feet of hair is nothing. Last week, one of Mandela's strands was measured at 55 feet, 7 inches — almost three times the length of her official record.

While Mandela refers to her hair as "her baby," there are physicians who call it a health hazard. "The doctors seem to think I have a curvature of my spine and that it's the length and the weight of my hair that's making me curve," she said. "Some have said my neck has collapsed at the back and that I need to be careful because I could start having spasms in my spine and probably be paralyzed." But it doesn't sound as if she is too alarmed by their advice, adding: "My hair has become part of me. It is my life. I will never cut it."

Edited by QueenBee - Aug 20 2013 at 4:17pm
    Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 12:54pm
    I just don't know how I would handle all of that.  It looks to be 3 to 4 times her height.  I don't know if I could last that long w/o grabbing some scissors and relieving myself of all that weight.  I guess once you get to a certain point though it might become exactly as she said.  Unimaginable. 
    Ms.Best View Drop Down
    VIP Member
    VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Ms.Best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 12:55pm
    Title is confusing. Pounds= lbs.
    .hott.pink. View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .hott.pink. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 12:57pm
    She was at the Atlanta Natural Hair Show last year. She keeps her hair in a sling on her back. It looks heavy and cumbersome. But more power to her.
    .hott.pink. View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .hott.pink. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 12:58pm
    Originally posted by Ms.Best Ms.Best wrote:

Title is confusing. Pounds= lbs.

This too. 
    BrownQtee View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BrownQtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 12:59pm
    Seems like a bit much..but whatever floats her boat. When you can't even let your hair hang naturally..it's a problem.
    carolina cutie View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 1:11pm
    Naw.
    bindy View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 1:35pm
    "Some have said my neck has collapsed at the back and that I need to be careful because I could start having spasms in my spine and probably be paralyzed." ........Not worth the risk.........
    lumii18 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumii18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 1:38pm
    How does she wash it?
    hautsdeseine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hautsdeseine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 1:41pm
    Doesnt look good to me.
    Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
    House of CB London
    Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
    The Elite Hair Care Sorority
    Electric Cherry Hair
    Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
    Human Hair Wigs
    Wefting Training
    Dependable Quality Hair
    Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>