FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

33% of all food produced is wasted

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 33% of all food produced is wasted
    Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 12:46pm

Global Food Waste Emits More Greenhouse Gases Than Most Countries, According To The UN

By Katie Valentine on September 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm

shutterstock_131041703

CREDIT: Shutterstock

If the amount of food the world wastes was a country, it would be topped only by China and the U.S. in terms of greenhouse gas emissions, according to a new UN report.

The report, published Wednesday by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, found each year about a third of the food produced for human consumption worldwide — about 1.3 billion metric tons — is wasted, a practice which emits the equivalent of about 3.3 billion metric tons of greenhouse gases. That’s about twice the amount of carbon emitted from the U.S.’s transportation sector and close to twice the yearly emissions of India. That wasted food also wastes water — the report states that about 250 cubic kilometers of ground and surface water is used each year to produce food that is ultimately wasted, an amount about three times the volume of Lake Geneva in Switzerland.

Tackling the problem of food waste isn’t simple — the report notes that food waste is produced differently in different regions of the world. In general, high-income regions waste significantly more food than developing regions, and in those regions, more food is wasted at the consumption level, as a result of people buying too much food and throwing away what they aren’t able to eat. This happens at a much lower rate in low-income regions, where food waste is often caused by inefficient farming practices and the lack of proper equipment and storage areas. The report suggests more investment in sustainable harvesting and storage methods, and also urges businesses in the developed world to donate extra food to charities instead of dumping it in landfills. That suggestion can be harder than it seems to carry out — in the U.S., many charities are often worried about violating health codes in their states or cities by accepting leftover food that isn’t still in its can or package.

Reducing this food waste isn’t just necessary to help the climate — it’s important if the planet wants to avoid future spikes in food insecurity. By 2050, the report notes, food production will need to increase by 60 percent in order to meet the Earth’s growing population’s demand. Reducing food waste would lessen this need to increase production and would help alleviate further strain on natural resources.

The global average for food waste still trails the American average — about 40 percent of the food produced in the U.S. is thrown away. Some in the U.S. is starting to wake up to this fact — the Department of Agriculture and Environmental Protection Agency have teamed up in an attempt to educate consumers and retailers about food waste and its effects, and New York City unveiled a new food recycling program in June. That program will take about a tenth of the food wasted by New Yorkers each year and turn it into bio gas, in hopes of reducing the amount of food in landfills and helping the city lower its electricity bill.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/09/11/2604811/food-waste-report/

Sponsored Links

FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 12:52pm
And this right here, is why I recently stopped cooking so damn much.

It didn't go to waste though. The wildlife in my back yard is fat as hell.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 1:42pm
Dead
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

And this right here, is why I recently stopped cooking so damn much.

It didn't go to waste though. The wildlife in my back yard is fat as hell.

right!LOL
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 2:21pm
I can believe it.  I bought a head of cauliflower that I was determine to cook but it rotted due to the fact that I didn't feel like using the oven when my city was in a midst of a heatwave.  True I have AC but that is money.
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 2:31pm
We throw a lot of food away, I'm sad to say. And then complain that there isn't anything to eat. Disapprove
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 2:33pm
ummm but most of 'food' in America is not real food. 
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

We throw a lot of food away, I'm sad to say. And then complain that there isn't anything to eat. Disapprove

Story of my life.
niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 3:53pm
I thought the percentage would be a little higher to be honest. 
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2013 at 5:46pm
i hate shopping once a week, but it forces me to only buy what i need and what will be eaten

it does help me save money

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic