Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 32yr old Welfare recipient scoffs at honest work
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

32yr old Welfare recipient scoffs at honest work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

The hierarchy of I am a U.S. citizen so I should get stuff free gov't benefits vs an illegal.   Even though I do not work or contribute to the system.

Yes, there are people who abuse the system and she is over of them that has no intention of ever not allowing the gov't to take care of her. Unfortunately there are many who have her mindset.

I do thii do agree with her that sometimes welfare traps you. When you are trying tho get ahead they pull your assistance leaving though having to return just to make it.

Haven't there been articles about this?  I could have sworn one was posted here.    my mother said when she tried to get off and tried to get a job... they cut her so bad it didn't make sense.   She was living poorer.  She had to play the system to get off.  What she did exactly I don't know.  I do know that she had alot of help from folks at her job and school in regards to paperwork and reported hours working.
Oh chile I re-read the sentence and goodness glad you understood what I meant.  Yes.  It's true newdiva.  I, too, have family a member who returned to the welfare system because making $20 over the income requirement cut them off food stamps, WIC, TANF, child care subsidiary, etc and this is them working a fulltime job 40+ at $9.00 as a administrative assistance.  

Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 11:46am
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

Oh chile I re-read the sentence and goodness glad you understood what I meant.  Yes.  It's true newdiva.  I, too, have family a member who returned to the welfare system because making $20 over the income requirement cut them off food stamps, WIC, TANF, child care subsidiary, etc and this is them working a fulltime job 40+ at $9.00 as a administrative assistance.

This is exactly what I was thinking about the lady who had her foodstamps cut by 96$ in the other thread.  She would be better off working.  The gas money to take the kids to games alone has to be crazy.   And she has to put gas in to get to work.   I vividly recall having $10 allocated for foodstamps while I was working which I did as soon as I graduated.   I imagine this is the hardest most discouraging transition period for people coming off of assistance. 

That lady in the OP is white and it wouldn't surprise me if this was real.  She feels "privileged" as an American but she's not living the so-called American dream.  She's not talking about what she doesn't have.  She is well under the poverty line with 5 family members and $1300 per month.   Never had nothing, doesn't want nothing and doesn't know any other life.  
CuteNSweet View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote CuteNSweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

fucc it now aint the time to be looking for honest work

people who've been working hard their whole lives getting sh*tted on

if i was raised to put less emphasis on working hard then i'd scoff at work too

i've been working hard my whole life trying to get ahead and it hasnt got me sh*t

meanwhile my half sister has 7 kids living in a nice manhattan apartment hasnt worked an honest day in her life

all this sh*t man

Honestly,  I feel like this a lot too watching the difference between me and my sister who's on assistance and I who works hard as hell in corp america.    However, now that my sisters kids are starting to "age out" the situation is looking less and less pretty.   I also see that she's stuck in the cycle of go to work and get all benefits cut.  My sister just got a low paying job working 20 hrs a week and had her foodstamps cut to $25 it makes no sense.   So I know she will end up quitting the job.  The problem isn't that we have people like lucy.  The real problem is that the system traps you.  There should be some type of transitional period where you're allowed to gain employment and keep some benefits while you move yourself up to a career or something.
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

^^You think having 7 kids aint work? LOL

Hey, I wish I didn't have to work like a dog to support my family either and stuff was just handed to me, too...but we know life isn't like that unless you are born w/ money or inherited it.

I'm not rich, but neither do I have to use food stamps either to be sure my kids eat.  I don't have a apartment provided by the govt, but I do own my own home.  Don't be ashamed that your values prevent you from just settling for less then what you can potentially acheive.

if it pays then sign me up!
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by CuteNSweet CuteNSweet wrote:

Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

fucc it now aint the time to be looking for honest work

people who've been working hard their whole lives getting sh*tted on

if i was raised to put less emphasis on working hard then i'd scoff at work too

i've been working hard my whole life trying to get ahead and it hasnt got me sh*t

meanwhile my half sister has 7 kids living in a nice manhattan apartment hasnt worked an honest day in her life

all this sh*t man

Honestly,  I feel like this a lot too watching the difference between me and my sister who's on assistance and I who works hard as hell in corp america.    However, now that my sisters kids are starting to "age out" the situation is looking less and less pretty.   I also see that she's stuck in the cycle of go to work and get all benefits cut.  My sister just got a low paying job working 20 hrs a week and had her foodstamps cut to $25 it makes no sense.   So I know she will end up quitting the job.  The problem isn't that we have people like lucy.  The real problem is that the system traps you.  There should be some type of transitional period where you're allowed to gain employment and keep some benefits while you move yourself up to a career or something.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I don't blame Lucy or my sister because there are so many days when I really want to do the same thing. This system is designed for failure but I also think a lot of things about this country set you up for failure. I'm going to keep working but I'll be looking for a Swiss gentleman to wife me up in the meantime
MissinCali View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MissinCali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 1:02pm
My cousin gets all of that except for the phone, she is too good for that, she has a iPhone. But damn $1300 a month with 3 kids.. That's nothing to be proud of.
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftywefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by MissinCali MissinCali wrote:

My cousin gets all of that except for the phone, she is too good for that, she has a iPhone. But damn $1300 a month with 3 kids.. That's nothing to be proud of.

exactly!! She said she was married with 3 kids. So thats 5 mouths to feed. $450 in food stamps and we haven't even started talkin about insurance, clothes for the kids, car,gas etc. They in struggle mode. I'm wondering how her husband isn't depressed from his inability to care for his family.
laddie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote laddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 12:58pm
People always look at the fact that people on welfare pay little for rent, insurance, phones, etc. However, the "little" they pay is a lot to them. Not to mention the fact that they are literally living one monthly paycheck to the next monthly paycheck. There is no savings account, rainy day fund, etc for people on welfare.
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 1:30pm
I don't care really. I care more about corporate welfare. It affects more people. 
thewonderfulwa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote thewonderfulwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 1:48pm
Like being on welfare is a come up
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic