Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 30 million Word Gap: Disrupting Kids in Poverty
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30 million Word Gap: Disrupting Kids in Poverty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 3:20am
I wonder how much my parents spoke to me when I was lil'.
Cause I'm an impeccable speaker.
Sponsored Links

Senior Detective View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 7:59am
Ermm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 8:02am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

i have grown up around plenty of poor children, none of them have language issues. and saying that poor women don't speak to their kids is just plain insulting. the kids i know spoke the non-standard english the same way they were spoken to. so basically all this article is saying is that children who grow up in households with with poor standard english language skills will themselves have poor standard english language skills and will therefore will be at a disadvantage when competing in a society that refuses to acknowledge the way they speak at home as a legitimate dialect and therefore requiring a specialized way of teaching standard english in schools vs. native "standard" english speakers.

and i'm not sure how nationality came up in this thread, it has no place IMO. 
it is not a legitimate dialect
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 8:06am
Good morning Bunny.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 8:06am
hi
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 10:46am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

how do poor africans and indians have a better understanding and wider english vocabulary than their first world world immigrants?

My opinion is that majority of Africans and Indians that comes to the US tends to be college educated and thus tend to focus more on education early on.  More likely to spend money on books than on latest shoes and clothes.  Again my opinion.

I really need people to stop propagating this lie. I have met maybe a handful of Africans who came to the Americas with a degree. The majority of our parents started off with nothing and either won some form of lottery or high tailed it over here through any means necessary via a sister or brother who was already here.

My father had a high school education and my mother a middle school education when she came. However, she made SURE I always had a book in my hand. She didn't take any sh*t from me when it came to school. It was literally do or die in my family. Asian and African immigrants simply do not take their education for granted when given the opportunity to receive one.

Well I am basing this on some research that was conducted in my city by this organization that I used to volunteer for in the past. 
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 11:13am
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

i have grown up around plenty of poor children, none of them have language issues. and saying that poor women don't speak to their kids is just plain insulting. the kids i know spoke the non-standard english the same way they were spoken to. so basically all this article is saying is that children who grow up in households with with poor standard english language skills will themselves have poor standard english language skills and will therefore will be at a disadvantage when competing in a society that refuses to acknowledge the way they speak at home as a legitimate dialect and therefore requiring a specialized way of teaching standard english in schools vs. native "standard" english speakers.

Melikey, I think you're misunderstanding the point. It's nothing to do with language skills and dialect. It amounts to lack of exposure to a vast array of words in the vocabulary. For instance, if you're not talking about computer processors in your home, then chances are, you're children won't know WTF a computer processor is at a younger age.

The article says they are not speaking, not that they are not being exposed to a variety of subject matter. poor children are exposed to language, food, art and culture that is relevant to them at a young age. Because the name of specific dance moves or certain cuisine isn't relevant to the majority culture, it has been dismissed. I can't tell you the number of times i have visited young children from where i grew up and I have to ask THEM what certain words they are using mean. When i ask their parents if they know, the parents know the word too. Because I am not immersed in the culture like I used to be, I missed out. I just think this article missed the mark completely. 

Edited by melikey - Jan 01 2014 at 11:14am
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

it is not a legitimate dialect

well I will take the word of PhDs who have done research on the topic over yours. but thanks.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 12:14pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123