Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Color
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2nd time trying to dye hair burgundy, not working!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic Closed2nd time trying to dye hair burgundy, not working!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
yungbweezy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd time trying to dye hair burgundy, not working!
    Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 5:41pm
Hey yall, (semi-long post ahead)

I'm desperate. I have some weave hair ("virgin" "brazilian" wavy hair that is a 1b, daaaark brown color) that I wanted to dye a burgundy/purplish color. Yesterday, I bought some box dye (Revlon Colorsilk in Deep Burgundy) and dyed each of the bundles of the hair. Left them each on for like an hour, deep conditioned and let them air dry. This morning, I checked on the hair and it looked the exact same color as when I started however it was tinted with the burgundy color. 

Annoyed, I went to Sally's and bought more hair dye (this time I didn't get box dye, I got 30 vol. developer and then Black Cherry color by Wella). I only did one bundle this time just to see if it would work. I mixed it two parts developer, one part color (I know it's usually 1:1 but Wella brand is different) and left it on for about an hour and 10 mins. i conditioned and checked the hair again and it picked up some of the color however it is very subtle, basically it's still only tinted. 

I really wanted some advice on how to get the rest the hair to actually come out fully with the color, I want to avoid bleaching the hair because I'm not sure if it will hold up and I haven't even installed yet but this has been my dream color for awhile, it's just not working. I'm not going to redye the bundle that's been dyed twice, i'm going to work with the ones that have only been dyed once. Tips?

TIA Smile
Sponsored Links

GoatGoatEtc. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 5:47pm
Color does not lift color.
You'll most likely have to bleach.
If your hair is dark-you're always gonna get a crumby tint.

Think of dyeing a white T and black T shirt-which is gonna have a brighter and more accurate color to the box?
The white.

So I'd snip a piece and do a test strand. Sorry
yungbweezy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 8:37pm
Yeah, I just did a strand test (def didn't cut any hair tho lol) and nothing happened again.. *sigh* I'm just gonna rock it with the red tint and get a professional to do it for me when the color starts to fade. thanks for the help!
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2011 at 11:08am
I just dyed my natural dark brown hair to burgundy using clairol textures and tones blazing burgundy and it worked very well. You can see the burgundy without a doubt. Because i had my friend dye it she missed some spots so i have to go over it in a few weeks, but that worked for my dark brown hair
allnaturall View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2011 at 4:45pm
dang sorry.... i was gonna go with GoatGoatEtc. said and lift the hair first with some 30 developer and then use the dye for the desired color

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2011 at 6:58pm

Okay so maybe I found a solution for you and myself since I love burgundy as well!
Today I was walking around at school and this chick had the truest burgundy color and her hair in some places underneath were darker-she was latino/white. I asked her what she used she said she used

L'Oreal Excellence HiColor in Magenta.  

The HiColor is meant for highlights so it lightens dark colored hair 3-4 levels without requiring prelightening before dyeing.  But purchase two of the product and you should be alright for whole head coloring.
Just googled the product and it's color and found one black person-a natural using it at 20 developer.

And found this white chick who used the product initially at 30 volume to lighten really high the first time and is now using 20 volume just to lift very low but deposit

http://livinglifepaulinastyle.blogspot.com/2011/07/loreal-excellence-hicolor-hilift-red.html

Edited by GoatGoatEtc. - Sep 18 2011 at 8:04pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2011 at 7:04pm
So I'm questioning whether I want the red hot or magenta based on the white chicks results-because I love plums. And since I'm already prelightened on my ends I'm kinda very excited to see what my results would be.
jamaicancutie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2011 at 7:55pm
I patch tested Revlon Colorsilk in Deep Red and it came out a burgundy purplish color i think you have to use i lighter color than what you want to get your results, im going back to get another color but im going to try Garnier based on this video

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2011 at 3:14am
^Good thing that chick's light brown already-nice red-but not burgundy 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2011 at 8:04pm
Edit: I'm reading reviews on Sally Beauty Red Hot is possibly more burgundy because it has a violet tone-

Magenta may be this:

Red Hot this:

Edited by GoatGoatEtc. - Sep 18 2011 at 8:05pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic