Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 24yo man dies after being restrained by Mall Cops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

24yo man dies after being restrained by Mall Cops

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24yo man dies after being restrained by Mall Cops
    Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:35am

Man Dies After Being Pepper Sprayed And Restrained By Mall Security Guards

The Huffington Post  |  By Ashley Woods Posted:   |  Updated: 01/30/2014 3:59 pm EST

A 24-year-old man who died after being restrained and pepper sprayed at a Detroit-area mall on Tuesday lost his life because of the actions of security guards, his attorney told The Huffington Post.

Mackenzie Cochran was standing outside a jewelry store "suspiciously" at Northland Mall in Southfield, Mich. Monday afternoon before security told him to leave. Cochran returned to the mall the next day, authorities said, apparently threatening to kill someone, the Detroit News reported.

When security guards from the mall took down Cochran and restrained him, a cell phone video obtained by WJBK-TV shows that Cochran began to yell for help, saying that he couldn't breathe (see above). He was transferred to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Using pepper spray is known to cause respiratory distress, said attorney Gerald Thurswell, who has been retained by Cochhran's family. That distress was compounded when a security guard put Cochran on the ground chest-first, then placed his left knee on Cochran's back.

"He calls out five or six times, saying that he can't breathe and they don't take the knee off his back, they keep his knee compressed," Thurswell told The Huffington Post. "He says, call the paramedics, he says he's going to die, call 911, they keep him down. They say, if you can talk, you can breathe. Finally, when he can't talk and he can't breathe, and he's totally passed out, they finally take the knee off his back."

"For all practical purposes, he was dead," Thurswell added.

An autopsy determined there were no signs of trauma on Cochran's body. A toxicology screen to test for drugs and alcohol in the victim's body will take several weeks, the Detroit News reported.

Thurswell confirmed that a witness to Cochran's death, Akil Copeland, was giving a statement to Southfield police. Copeland told WJBK that he had offered to give Cochran CPR at the mall before his death but security guards refused his help.

"They told me that I was being troublesome, I was causing a problem by asking for the man's well-being," Copeland told WJBK. "I don't know, maybe I could have saved him."

Cochran lived with his mother and sister in the nearby suburb of Ferndale. Thurswell said he was trying to finish his high school GED and had three classes left.

The guards acted as "judge, jury and executioner," Thurswell said, noting that the guards could have kept Cochran restrained and in handcuffs, but still lifted the knee from his back and provided him with oxygen when he screamed that he couldn't breathe.

"He wasn't resisting arrest," Thurswell said. "He was asking for help."

Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:40am
Not watching vid, but is he black?

And can anyone corroborate the "I'm going to kill someone"story? And further more bruising can show 24hrs later so an initial autopsy may not show evidence of trauma
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:42am
A damn shame. I don't even want to watch.
SeducTress View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeducTress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:44am
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my GAWD you can see right through the bullsh*t.

They claimed he was "threatening to kill someone" and had his fists clenched ready to "attack someone".

The "someone" in question isn't innocent mall shoppers. More then likely they are describing his reaction to them, the rental cops.

Sickening.

Hopefully other people catch that! 

He wasn't threatening mall shoppers. He was probably talking sh*t to the security guards and they are using vague verbiage to cover their assAngryAngryAngry

It's not a crime to verbally pop off on mall security. 
SeducTress View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeducTress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:45am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Not watching vid, but is he black?

And can anyone corroborate the "I'm going to kill someone"story? And further more bruising can show 24hrs later so an initial autopsy may not show evidence of trauma

My gut is telling me he was getting agitated by the mall security and was talking ish to them.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic