Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2014 WAIST/HIP LENGTH GROWTH & HEALTH CHALLENGE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2014 WAIST/HIP LENGTH GROWTH & HEALTH CHALLENGE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 61>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

What do you guys recommend to hydrate or deep condition your hair?
My hair is fine and dry, and although the MABH oil is really nice, I want to have something else to apply on my hair once or twice a week to keep if nice.
I don't use silicones, parabens, sulfates, mineral oil or petrolatum in my hair. I actually have a long list of ingredients that I avoid, and most hair masques got a few of those.

I am considering purchasing those hair masks sold on etsy, I saw one really nice and the best of all, its black owned so thumbs up for that:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/157707263/deep-conditioner-mint-chocolate-moisture?ref=favs_view_13
Currently I am trying my own creation which consists of a mixture of :
  • Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14 in 1
  • ORS Olive Oil Incredibly Rich Oil Moisturizing Hair Oil
  • Olive oil  or coconut oil to  top it off 
This is working great for me now. It smooths the texture and gives shine. I twist it back up in a bun and cover it back up with a cap
Although the Hwaiian Silky Miracle worker has some mineral oil in it I LOVE this on my hair. Heck the Kanechom and Silicone mix that I also love are filled with silicone and mineral oil. But everyone's hair has different needs.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jan 26 2014 at 11:45am
Sponsored Links

Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 3:56pm
I finished washing out my pre-poo & instead of using aphogee shampoo for damaged hair, I ended up using some left over Parnevu t-tree shampoo. Well I must say it made my hair feel a lot softer than the apohogee. I might buy another bottle & use it instead. Anyway, finished the deep condish. I added some of the cantu shea, some 2 min reconstructer, some vo5 & the molasses. Mixed it & sat under the dryer for 20mins. I used mane & tail detangler, tressme split end leave-in & braided in 6. I then used the six-oil and rain a little down the braid to seal. Once my scalp is dry, I'm going to rub in the sulfur.

Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:17pm
Do any of you ladies use a heating cap? I want to purchase one but I'm not sure if it's any more beneficial than just putting the conditioner in your hair & going under the dryer?
Brazilianbabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brazilianbabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:30pm
I have one from the 80s. It's just a cap u put on, plug it in, set up the temp and it heats up. I really like it and always use it when I put on a mask. I feel like blow dryers dry out the hair and are less convenient.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:59pm
Heating caps are good for deep conditioning. I am considering buying one, but not the one that sally beauty salon sells.

I just purchased this amla, neem and other herbs deep conditioning creme off. It must be arriving by Saturday. I wanted to try something different and for a long time I was undecided between the rhassoul cocoa treatment that I saw on etsy or the one purchased. I chose to try the latter because of the ingredients. Most of them are in my MABH oil,so I thought it would be a nice complement to it.
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:11pm
http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/10/closer-look-at-mineral-oil-natural-hair.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/coily-manifesto/using-mineral-oil-for-hair
baby oil is...mineral-oil-
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:17pm
Thanks guys. I'm going to look in the bss & price them. Sometimes I don't feel like rolling out my dryer & all.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 2:33pm

3 Easy Homemade Shampoos for Dry Natural Hair

Share Button

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

Finding a good shampoo can be challenging, especially if you want to mix your own AND you have dry strands.  While some store-bought shampoos can be stripping, many homemade shampoos do not seem to do enough cleansing. However, the following recipes may provide that cleansing power without leaving your strands very dry:

1. African Black Soap Shampoo

blacksoap1

African black soap is created from palm leaves, cocoa pod ash, plantain skin ash, palm kernel oil, and sometimes fewer or more ingredients (e.g., shea butter).  Combine this soap with glycerin or honey (both of which are humectants), grapeseed oil (helps to lock in moisture), and distilled water to create a cleansing, non-stripping shampoo.

Ingredients:
4 tbsp African black soap (crumbled into pieces)
1 cup hot distilled water
2 tsp glycerin (or pure honey)
3 tsp grapeseed oil

Instructions:
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bottle. Shake the bottle well and allow the mixture to cool before using.
2. Save the remainder in a closed bottle for future use (up to a few weeks).

2. Coconut Milk Shampoo

cocomilk

Liquid castile soap is generally made from olive oil (and/or other oils) and water.  Though some naturals have shied away from it with all the talk of pH, the reality is that other naturals have faired fine using it in their shampoo recipes.  If you are interested in giving liquid castile soap a try, the following mixture involves the addition of organic coconut milk (for dilution and additional lathering), distilled water (for further dilution), and safflower oil (for moisture).

Ingredients:
1/4 cup liquid castile soap
3 tbsp organic coconut milk
1 tsp distilled water
1 tsp safflower oil (add more if you desire)

Instructions:
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bottle. Shake the bottle well before use.
2. Save the remainder in a closed bottle for future use (up to a few weeks).
3. Follow up with an apple cider vinegar rinse (if necessary) for pH balance.

3. Enhanced Shampoo

glycerin1

If you have a shampoo in your cabinet that is a bit drying, then here is one way to make it usable.  Mix in some glycerin (humectant), jojoba oil (lock in moisture), melted coconut oil (lubrication and moisture), and distilled water (for dilution) in a separate bottle.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp shampoo (preferably a shampoo you want to use up)
1/2 tsp glycerin
1/2 tsp jojoba oil
1/2 tsp melted coconut oil
1/4 cup distilled water

Instructions:
1. Swirl all the ingredients together in a nozzle bottle.
2. Use the remainder to clean your hair tools, etc.

Ladies, have you tried similar recipes? Share below!

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/04/3-easy-homemade-shampoos-for-dry-natural-hair/

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:00am
why didnt any of yah tell me to stop using grapeseed oil as my heat protectant and to actually go out an buy a proper oneLOL
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:00am

4 Benefits of Grapeseed Oil + How to Use it on Natural Hair

Share Button

grapeseed_oil

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

Many women use olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and even jojoba oil on their hair in some fashion. However, few use or know about grapeseed oil.

WHY USE GRAPESEED OIL:

1.  It is inexpensive.  Compared to your more popular hair oils, this one is fairly inexpensive.  Depending on where you purchase your grapeseed oil, it can cost almost 30-40% less than extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil.  It also much cheaper and more accessible than jojoba oil.

2.  It protects against moisture loss.  Grapeseed oil contains a high amount of linoleic acid, a type of omega-6 fatty acid. Research has demonstrated that when applied to the skin, this fatty acid can help combat dryness by providing protection against moisture loss (Source).  This may be good news for a dry scalp.

3.  It is fairly light.  The consistency of grapeseed oil is somewhere between that of jojoba oil and olive oil (though much closer to jojoba oil).  Thus, if you find olive oil to be too heavy or want an alternative to jojoba oil, grapeseed oil may be worth a try.

4.  It is odorless.  Grapeseed oil is odorless which makes it easier to use alone or in recipes without needing to add a fragrance (e.g., an essential oil).

HOW TO USE GRAPESEED OIL:

1. As a sealant.  Depending on your hair, grapeseed oil may work just fine as a sealant after a good wash and conditioning session.  Just apply the oil to damp hair to lock in the moisture.

2. To enhance a moisturizer.  This oil can be used to enhance your current moisturizer.  Mix a little bit with your moisturizer to increase moisture retention.

3. To alleviate a dry scalp.  As discussed earlier, linoleic acid has been demonstrated to provide a protection against moisture loss when applied to the skin.  Since grapeseed oil consists of a very high amount (~70%) of this fatty acid, it can aid in alleviating a dry scalp.

4. Mix into a whipped butter.  Grapeseed oil can mix well into whipped butters and increase the moisturizing/sealant properties of your mixture.

5. As a hot oil treatment.  Use the oil alone or mixed with other oils as a hot oil treatment prior to your wash.

CAN GRAPESEED OIL BE USED AS HEAT PROTECTANT?

Though the oil has a high smoke point (some sources quote 400 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit), this characteristic does not translate into it being adequate as a heat protectant.  A high smoke point indicates that the oil requires a higher temperature to break down and start smoking.  In other words, grapeseed oil may not degrade before reaching 400 degrees Fahrenheit but your hair might.  In contrast, a heat protectant contains a formulation of ingredients that actually helps to reduce the transfer of heat to the cortex of the hair (Source).  That being said, it is much safer to use a commercial heat protectant than to experiment with grapeseed oil as a possibility.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/07/4-benefits-of-grapeseed-oil-how-to-use-it-on-natural-hair/

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 61>
  Share Topic