Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2014 WAIST/HIP LENGTH GROWTH & HEALTH CHALLENGE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2014 WAIST/HIP LENGTH GROWTH & HEALTH CHALLENGE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 64>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:07am
Did my sulfur treatment last night. I find the OP mango leave-in helps mask the sulfur smell pretty good. Before I would co-wash in the middle of the week, but I think I'll be okay until my normal wash on the weekend. I watched a youtube video on Lush henna/indigo, so that's what I'll be using in the next few weeks to henna my hair.
Sponsored Links

browngirllonghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browngirllonghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:23am
^^^I know I'm late to the party on this one...what is your sulfur treatment? Hell, I may have to watch that henna video, too. Homegirl's got grays coming in around my -- gasp! -- hairline!!!

These damn kids gone make me go totally gray before my 37th birthday.
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:28am
Originally posted by browngirllonghair browngirllonghair wrote:

^^^I know I'm late to the party on this one...what is your sulfur treatment? Hell, I may have to watch that henna video, too. Homegirl's got grays coming in around my -- gasp! -- hairline!!!

These damn kids gone make me go totally gray before my 37th birthday.
Well....funny you should ask...LOL. One of our wonderful participants is one of the major reasons I got such great results my 1st year. Njoy is the go to girl for the sulfur mix, she is the one who brought it to this board (at least I think so) & had tremendous growth when she was texlaxed. (I hope she doesn't mind me speaking for her). I'm not sure her current sulfur mix or if she's still using it, but what I use is 1 table spoon of sublimed sulfur (you can find it on amazon or your local drugstore) & 8oz of JBCO (BSS). Mix in a color applicator bottle & let sit for a few days. Prior to using the mixture shake well because it will separate. Then apply to the scalp as often as you like. I will warn you, the sulfur smell is strong...but I NO CARE!! LOL.

I'll post the henna video later when I get home...
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:54am
I came to a  very bad awareness last night. The tip ends of my hair are BSL, however, the last 3 inches of my length is so thin it mainly loses its thickness about an inch below APL. The last 3 inches are so stringy it is very sad. I actually GREW a LOT of hair last year, however, I apparently had a setback in keeping the thickness on the tips.  
I believe this is due to the fact that those tips have relaxer and the rest of my hair is now natural texture. So those tips were subjected to both hair color to cover gray while highlighting my hair AND the tips had relaxer on them too.
So, I cough it up to experience. I AM NOT GOING TO CUT my thin ends that are at BSL. I will keep them as a horrible lesson and a reminder. I now realize that my hair is so delicate I can NOT relax it. This makes me very sad because I like my hair smooth. So I will continue this  year being natural with regard to texture. I was conflicted about not doing a relaxer all of last year. This year I will just accept that it is necessary for me since I WANT LONG HAIR! I m not saying that everyone has to be non relaxed to grow long hair. The main thing is I color it also so I have 2 chemicals on those weak tips.  But my hair is 1) soft like cotton candy so very fragile. And 2) I color it also. So you have to pick your poisons. I guess for me I must minimize my color and completely eliminate the relaxer as (I reluctantly did all of last year) since I INSIST on having long hair come hell or high water. I have vowed that I will take down even the devil himself if he crosses my path about my hair. So anything less will really have to go down if it comes between me and my goal of super long hair.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jan 15 2014 at 10:03am
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:09am
PS Ladies PLEASE share some tips on keeping your hair straight with no chemical straightener. My hair is unique in that it is so fine and  soft, it starts dripping water and gets soaking wet if I perspire in the least bit OR if there is any drizzle rain my hair will collect it all and seem dripping wet in very little time. In essence my hair absorbs ambient moisture and it weighs the super fine strands down and makes them appear dripping wet.  My hair will then revert at the slightest sign of moisture in the atmosphere if it is not relaxed.  So I can flat iron my hair or round brush it and leave home with a nice hair style. BUT if there is any moisture in the air or if I work up the LEAST bit of perspiration, it will revert within 10 minutes on a Summer day and I will look like I did not do ANY styling AT ALL to my hair. Any tips that might help with that?

I notice that most Afro American hair is fairly coarse. Hell most Caucasian and definitely Asian hairs are a lot coarser than mine. They all seem to be stiff enough and have enough structural integrity that they kind of laugh at ambient moisture and stay styled while mine would literally revert in seconds and then actually start dripping water. Any tips that might help with that?

Edited by LadyAradia - Jan 15 2014 at 10:12am
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:17am
Lady Tatee posted a bunch of videos about prorosity (sp?). I think you should start there. I have issues with my hair reacting to humidity as well. The slightest sign of water in the air & my hair fluffs up something crazy! You may want to look into a good anti-frizz pomade to seal your hair from the elements?
browngirllonghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browngirllonghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 12:10pm
Thank you, Jewel! Hell, me no care about sulfur smell, either. That is minor. I'll go to the end of the earth for my hair! LOL My philosophy reminds me of that Bud Light commercial about how all the football fanatics do strange superstitious things in hopes of their team winning. The tagline: "It's only weird if it doesn't work."

LadyAradia, you sound like me several years ago. Well, honey, I've got my natural hair to remain straight in all types of weather. It took me years, but, dammit, I've found what works for me, and I think it may work for you, too. But you may need to be patient at first. I posted my "hairstory" and the steps to my ritual on my blog here:

http://www.thebrowngirlwithlonghair.com/p/about-my-hair.html

If you have anymore questions, e-mail me on the address I have on the blog...
NJoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 3:53pm
Hola Chicas!

Well, I've finally started using the Zumba Fitness World Party for xbox One. I. LOVE it! Today is two days in a row. That's a fitness streak for me. I love to dance and I'm highly competitive so, being able to dance with others online was really exciting! I definitely think I can keep this up.

My hair is still in the same twists and I'm fine with that. I've started back using Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango as the "C" in the LOC method and it's working well to lock in moisture without being all gooey.

LadyAradia, if your ends are relaxed and the rest of your hair is natural, your ends will definitely look pitiful in comparison (disclaimer: Not that I know your hair type at all. Generally speaking) My natural hair made my ends look so back that it pushed me into BC'g (especially when wet). It looked ok when dry and flat ironed but I wasn't having that so, I had to do what I had to do. And I'm so glad I did. The thickness was addictive. I don't think I'll ever go back to relaxers, not that I'm interested in straight looks anymore anyway. I'm chasing HairCrush (Chime) with that twisted thickness. *swoon*

Jewell and BlackGirlLongHair, my sulfur growth mix was definitely a blessing to me. I've changed the formula while I was transitioning because I needed it to be more moisturizing and strengthening to deal with the line of demarcation.

Even so, I grew my hair longer than ever before. I won't say that I've always had long hair. My hair never grew past a barely skimming and raggedy apl but my family and friends made me feel like I always had hair. It was usually around shoulder length. But I grew to hip, big chopped and am going for hip again this year. I don't think i'll have any problems reaching it at all. I'm VERY excited. Once I get there, I'll determine whether I want to stay there, cut back or move on to tbl. I know for SURE I'll never go beyond that. And I'm only considering tbl because unstretched, I'm hoping it will hang around mbl.

I've already posted somewhere but for any newbies, I'll post a link to my hair relaxed to natural journey (LadyAradia, you'll see what I'm talking about with my ends in this video)

http://youtu.be/OA9O_uOpZZk

and my natural journey (2013)

http://youtu.be/TcYI6ho7m24

Oh, and why did I go out an buy another Creta Girl wig for protective styling this winter? I already have 2 in my stash. I just love the big, diva look, I guess. Maybe I'll do a video with a giveaway. Who knows.

Anywho, I'll probably do a scalp wash tonight and freshen up these twists...if I feel like it. It's not bad actually. And I'm kinda getting used to this lazy routine. As long as I keep my ends moisturized and detangled.

Here's the makeshift updo I did over the weekend when going out with hubby.

Ya girl's trying to be creative with low manipulation.
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:00pm
@NJoy: You made me smile with ya: We need our talkers comment! I only get to talk hair in depth here and with a few IRL. I Luv y'all for 'listening'😝

Well, my plaitout has held up so well( clapping my hands). I haven't replaited since I did them last weekend. My natural friend and coworker asked if I had replaited last night. I told her no. She called me Whitney and started singing: I'm Your Baby Tonight! Lol! She said I was channeling her. Hey, I Luv that bc I Luv Whitney!

I have a field trip with the man child tomorrow. So, I may replait tonight. So far Mission Plaitout Experiment is easy peasy!!
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:21pm
Look at NJoy...Clap....you're working it!! LOL

lol @ man child...& that hair must've been on 5000 cause Whitney kept a curly wig on Luv!! Clap
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style