Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2014 WAIST/HIP LENGTH GROWTH & HEALTH CHALLENGE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2014 WAIST/HIP LENGTH GROWTH & HEALTH CHALLENGE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 59>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MinnieMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnieMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by NJoy NJoy wrote:

Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by MinnieMe MinnieMe wrote:

This sounds like some new stuff. I like new things. What is this monovin a, bepanthol, gota dourada you speak of?

monovin is a product you can only get in Brazil; it has 2 million IU of vitamin A, and some people have seen 2 inches+ growth monthly. Again, you can only get in Brazil, or Brazilian websites if you have an account there to purchase.

Bepanthol can hydrate your hair; you can buy on ebay.

Gota Dourada you can buy on amazon, it costs 10 bucks with shipping. You have to use for 3 months to see growth. I used it for 2 months, but I have seen pics (in Brazilian websites, just go on brazilian google). You apply 3x a week, leave it on your scalp for 2 hours. It smells bad, like garlic. I posted about it on the Hair Growth Newbies section, on the 2013 waist length challenge thread.
I was curious too.  Did some digging...

monovin a is an injectable product given to horses to grow horse hair.  Apparently some are mixing it with salt-free shampoo for growth but there's no known long term data for risks associated with this.  No wonder it's not allowed here.  But I won't act like we haven't looked to horse products before. But this seems to be veterinary medication.  Um...yikes. 

The panthenol (pro-vitamin B5) in the Bepanthol cream is what moisturizes.

Gota Dourada seems to be a Brazillian Keratin product line.  Strengthening.

Is this correct?

BTW, your avi pic is sick!! (and I mean that in a good way. Clap)

Thanks Njoy
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2013 at 7:15am

Top 3 Reasons You Have Crown Area Breakage

By Audrey Sivasothy, author of The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care

When the rest of your hair is growing on cue, it can be really frustrating to deal with a stagnant crown area. Although natural hair tends to mask crown area breakage better than relaxed and transitioning hair, crown area breakage can affect anyone. Crown area breakage is a chronic breakage problem that results in hair that is noticeably thinner or just stands or sticks up right in the center of the head. When the hair is straightened, it usually falls in a W-shaped pattern along the back, rather than falling in a standard U or V-shaped hemline. Luckily for us, most crown area problems can be addressed by identifying the physical concerns/practices that contribute to the issue.

1. Texture & Curl Pattern Differentials

It’s not uncommon to have a slightly different texture or curl pattern in the crown area of the head. Often, this area will naturally have different moisture and handling requirements to ensure that it thrives. If your crown area is finer, coilier or kinkier than the surrounding strands, customize your hair care to this area by giving it extra moisturizing and conditioning time.

Texture/curl pattern changes can also occur along the same fiber for those with with relaxed or transitioning hair. If your hair is relaxed or transitioning, your texture contrast between the chemically straightened length and the new growth will create demarcation issues that you’ll need to be aware of. The demarcation line will likely be more pronounced and any major shift in curl pattern will be a prime area for breakage. You are essentially working with a fiber shape that looks like: ~~~~——– rather than ~~~~~~~~~~. Both types are vulnerable to crown area breakage, but the first example is more so. Handle your hair with care!

Many people also notice that their crown area is well . . . itchy. I find this to be true for me when I’ve allowed my scalp to get dry and tight– which usually happens just before it’s wash time. Avoid scratching the crown area recklessly into oblivion as this can break the hair and lead to a tender scalp. If you’re itchy, carefully massage the area with the pads of your fingers and get some moisture to the area ASAP.

2. Physical Trauma

Physical trauma culprits for crown area breakage include styling stressors like:

sew ins, braids and other weaves done too tightly
picking out and fluffing the hair with hair tools (combs/picks)
pinning hair in the center/crown repetitively (or putting weight on the crown area w/ ponytails, etc)
wrapping the hair (especially if you are contending with roots (pressed, reverting roots, or standard relaxer new growth)
overlapping during 4-quadrant chemical services (relaxing, texturizing or coloring.)
high pressure shower water
Free form styles like braidouts, twistouts, twists and rollersets (provided tangling is kept to a minimum) are good for maintaining and growing out a crown. Puffs can also work, but they may stress the edges and hairline if not drawn properly.

Our trusty friend the hooded dryer has also been well regarded in the healthy hair community for its delivery of indirect, safer heat. But we also have to be careful with hooded dryer heat because the delicate crown area can receive a lot of heat attention under this type of dryer. The crown area is often the very first section to dry. Make sure that your dryer model circulates heat well and that you are able to adjust your heat settings as needed. Check your crown area regularly if you’re setting your hair. If your crown area dries first, lightly mist the crown area to allow the other areas of hair to catch up and dry. To reduce heat to the crown area, use the hooded dryer to dry your hair to 80-90%, and allow the surrounding air to dry your hair to completion.

Discontinuing these stressful physical practices will turn your crown area around in several weeks.

3. Improper/Insufficient Conditioning

Lack of proper conditioning is another cause of crown area failure. Because the crown area is the most exposed area of the head to the environment and elements (and may often be the coiliest/kinkiest)- it can really take a moisture beating if it is not singled out and given specific attention during regular moisturizing and conditioning. You really want to focus your conditioning and moisturizing efforts in the middle! It’s very easy to miss the crown during moisturizing and conditioning because many of us tend to graze over the top and sides of the hair without really digging in deep to get the underlayers of crown hair. You’d be surprised at the number of people who simply coat the edges, barely scrunch through the middle, and slather the ends with conditioner or moisturizing product. You have to get in there good and make sure the crown area gets some love!

When all else fails, attacking crown area breakage from the conditioning angle almost always works. Isolate the area and give it some extra TLC.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2011/12/top-3-reasons-you-have-breakage-in-your-crown/

Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2013 at 9:20am
Good info Tatee...you dropping sciene up in here Clap! we're gonna have a great 2014! & that reserved W pattern is what's going on with me, so I'm having crown breakage. I think my issue is the detangling and the high buns. I've decided to not wear the high bun more than 3 times a week & the other days do a braid out so that I have a change of style & give my hair a break. I never knew this stupid hair growth thing took so much damn thought!! lol. When I was a kid my hair just grew...

Anyway, I did a braid out on Monday & decided not to keep it in for the entire week, I co-washed last night and detangled under running water in the shower. What a difference! didn't have a 3rd of the hair loss I did the 1st time. This will be my new routine. I also think I need to be coscience of my protein vs mositure...& then I'll be good money!

k.muhammad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.muhammad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 12:40am
The 1 inch in 1 week challenge looks like something to try. My hair is a little before mid back length but under what is long I have TONS of breakage. I also have bad split ends -_- I gave myself a protein mask (with 2 eggs) the other day and my hair actually felt better. So I'm definitely sticking with treatments once a week. I found a couple of different things to try. Ill post them if some of you don't mind putting food in your hair

Buttttt I plan on buying almond oil, castor oil, and rosemary essential oil and maybe a peppermint essential oil to add to my hair.

I'm currently using moroccan oil (argain oil; 100%), avacado oil, coconut oil, and macadamia oil.

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 1:25pm
Ok, I am doing the 1 inch in 1 week challenge this week.
I have to stop monovin A for a month on December 7. Sadly, my monovin is actually expiring in December so I don't know if I should continue it on January 7th Cry
I will continue with the 1 inch in 1 week challenge every month until I no longer see results.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 1:29pm

Originally posted by NJoy NJoy wrote:

Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

This sounds like some new stuff. I like new things. What is this monovin a, bepanthol, gota dourada you speak of?

monovin is a product you can only get in Brazil; it has 2 million IU of vitamin A, and some people have seen 2 inches+ growth monthly. Again, you can only get in Brazil, or Brazilian websites if you have an account there to purchase.

Bepanthol can hydrate your hair; you can buy on ebay.

Gota Dourada you can buy on amazon, it costs 10 bucks with shipping. You have to use for 3 months to see growth. I used it for 2 months, but I have seen pics (in Brazilian websites, just go on brazilian google). You apply 3x a week, leave it on your scalp for 2 hours. It smells bad, like garlic. I posted about it on the Hair Growth Newbies section, on the 2013 waist length challenge thread.
I was curious too.  Did some digging...

monovin a is an injectable product given to horses to grow horse hair.  Apparently some are mixing it with salt-free shampoo for growth but there's no known long term data for risks associated with this.  No wonder it's not allowed here.  But I won't act like we haven't looked to horse products before. But this seems to be veterinary medication.  Um...yikes. 

The panthenol (pro-vitamin B5) in the Bepanthol cream is what moisturizes.

Gota Dourada seems to be a Brazillian Keratin product line.  Strengthening.

Is this correct?

BTW, your avi pic is sick!! (and I mean that in a good way. Clap)

Thanks Njoy

Not sure if I replied to that already but yes, monovin is used to make horse's tail grow faster.
panthenol is bepanthol and you can buy it on ebay, but they use the liquid one. panthenol is for shine, nothing else (but I read that some girls use it to plump their lips too).

gota dourada is to strenghten your hair. if it is falling off, it is the perfect antidote. apparently it can help with hair growth too, but you have to use it for 3 months, i used it for 2 months.

I saw someone selling Monovin A once on ebay, but it was in the UK. You put a tablespoon on 300ml of shampoo, shake it and use it ONLY 3x a week for 3 months. Then you take a break of 1 or more months, and then start again, 3x a week for another 3 months. It lasts a long time because you only use one tablespoon at a time.

And since monovin is rich in vitamin A (2 million IU) and retinol is made with vitamin A and everyone loves it because apparently it diminishes wrinkles, I mixed half a teaspoon of monovin with a diaper rash cream (to get rid of the oily skin) and would put on my face as a mask before bed. In the morning I would remove the mixture from my face and use a hydrating moisturizing mask and after a month doing that only 2x a week, my face was brighter, glowing and I looked super gorgeous. I am actually going to restart that and do it for a longer time.

Edited by sexyandfamous - Nov 28 2013 at 1:35pm
MinnieMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnieMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 2:37pm
S&F also you too NJOY answered my questions. I believe another member chimed in as well. Thanks for the responses. I don't think I will make WL by Dec. i just hopped in that challenge because I made all my other goals for the year. I want in! Im grazing MBL with no heat. I will post starting pics
MinnieMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnieMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 2:39pm
[IMG][/IMG]

Starting pic:

Dont mind the hair. I had just took an install down. I had some minor build up (SEPT) Re ordered some Mineral Rich and I am using oils aloe vera gel sulfur glycerin and whatever oils I feel like mixing it with. Right now I am in a install. Plan to keep it up until hair annv. but I will come in to do updates

Edited by MinnieMe - Nov 28 2013 at 2:43pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 3:16pm
MinnieMe, this is an ongoing thread for 2014, it just started earlier.
I am about 2 inches away from waist lenght but it doesn't look like it on the last pics I took. I was going to update this thread with my pics after I stop Monovin on December 7th, but since I will do another 1 week of the inverted techinique in late December, I might as well update this thread after that week.

If I don't achieve WL this year, I will achieve it for sure in January 2014 and then I will try for hip length.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2013 at 9:00am

25 Popular Oils, Butters and Natural Ingredients and How To Use Them on Natural Hair

by Chinwe

When it comes to hair care, it is vital to know how certain ingredients work on our strands. Having this knowledge reduces the “trial and error” involved in both building and adjusting a hair care regimen.

Below is a quick guide for the more popular, mainly natural ingredients involved in do-it-yourself (DIY) hair care. Do keep in mind that what works for most individuals may (or may not) work for you.

1. When you want to take advantage of the humidity:
Glycerin, honey, aloe vera juice
Why: Humectants (moisture retention).
How to use: Add to a moisturizer or a leave-in.

2. When you want an oil-based sealant:
Soybean oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil
Why: These oils can reduce moisture loss.
How to use: Use separately or add some to your moisturizer.

3. When you want a light sealant:
Jojoba oil, grapeseed oil
Why: These oils are light compared to other oils.

4. When you want a heavy sealant:
Olive oil, shea butter (melted) mixed with any oil
Why: Olive oil is one of the heavier oils. Many butters (such as shea) contain fatty acids like oils but are heavier than oils.

5. When your scalp is itchy:
Tea tree essential oil, aloe vera juice
Why: Some find either of these substances to be soothing to the skin.
How to use: (Tea tree) Use a few drops with water or a carrier oil. (Aloe vera) Use straight or mix with water. NOTE: If you are pregnant or have a health condition, please consult your doctor before using essential oils.

6. When your scalp is dry:
Jojoba oil, aloe vera juicegrapeseed oil
Why: Jojoba oil is light and said to be very similar to our sebum. Aloe vera juice is light, moisturizing, and soothing to the skin.  Grapeseed oil contains a high amount of linoleic acid, which has been shown to protect against moisture loss (British Journal of Derm. 1976 Sept;95(3):255–64).
How to use: (Jojoba, grapeseed) Massage a few drops into the scalp. (Aloe vera) Use straight or mix with water.

7. When you want a moisturizing or softening oil:
Grapeseed oil, safflower oil, castor oil, argan oil
Why: These oils tend to leave the hair feeling soft and moist.
How to use: Use separately on damp hair or add some to your moisturizer.

8. When you want a moisturizing or softening non-oil:
Glycerin, aloe vera gel/juice, rosewater, honey, water
Why: Glycerin and honey are humectants (good for moisture retention). Aloe vera gel/juice and rosewater are moisturizing. Water is the best natural form of hydration.
How to use: Use separately, add to your moisturizer, or mix one (or more) ingredients to create a moisturizing spritz. Glycerin and honey work best when applied to damp hair or mixed with water.  NOTE: Adding water, aloe vera juice, or rosewater to a whipped butter can create an environment for bacterial and/or fungal growth.

9. When you want shine or sheen:
Castor oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar
Why: Castor oil has been shown to impart sheen (J Cosmet Sci. 2003 Jul-Aug;54(4):335-51). Coconut oil, avocado oil, and apple cider vinegar are ones that many naturals swear by.
How to use: (Castor, coconut, avocado) Use separately or add on top of your moisturizer. (Apple cider vinegar) Use as a post-wash rinse with cold water for 5 minutes.

10. When your shampoo is drying:
Coconut oil, olive oil, argan oil
Why: These oils are moisturizing and lubricating.
How to use: Pre-poo with any of the above oils or add to shampoo.

11. When your shampoo is not cleansing enough:
Baking soda
Why: Easily lifts oils and dirt.
How to use: Mix a little with your shampoo. (Be sure to follow up with an apple cider vinegar rinse.)

12. When you want more slip in your conditioner:
Shea butter (melted), coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil
Why: Lubricating.
How to use: Add some to your conditioner.

13. When you want a more moisturizing conditioner:
Glycerin, honey, shea butter (melted), argan oil
Why: (glycerin, honey) moisture retention; (shea butter) emollient.
How to use: Add some to your conditioner.

14. When you want a more strengthening conditioner:
Coconut oil, gelatin, other hydrolyzed protein (e.g. keratin, collagen)
Why: Coconut oil has been shown to penetrate the hair and reduce keratin loss (J Cosmet Sci. 2003 Mar-Apr;54(2):175-92). Hydrolyzed protein, including gelatin, provides reinforcement by temporarily patching the cuticle layer.  For maximum strengthening, go for conditioners containing hydrolyzed protein.
How to use: (Coconut oil) Best used as a pre-poo to minimize breakage, but may also use post-wash. (Gelatin) Mix with an avocado, yogurt, and/or oils to create a strengthening conditioner. (Other hydrolyzed protein) Find a commercial conditioner with this ingredient.

15. When you want more hold and definition:
Shea butter, mango butter, beeswax, flaxseed gel
How to use: Add some to your moisturizer or use separately.

16. When you want to add fragrance to your mixture:
Lavender essential oil, jasmine essential oil, rose essential oilorange essential oil
Why: These oils are some of the better options for specifically adding fragrance.  Lavender, jasmine, and rose have floral scents while orange has a citrusy scent.
How to use: Add some to your moisturizer or spritz.

17. When you want a lighter, less oil-based whipped butter (e.g., warm weather):
Aloe vera gel, jojoba oil
Why: moisturizing, but light
How to use: Mix a 1:1 shea butter and aloe vera gel mixture (or a variation of this recipe).

18. When you want a heavier, more oil-based whipped butter (e.g., cold weather):
Olive oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, castor oil
Why: moisturizing and sealing
How to use: Mix a 1:1 or 2:1 shea butter and oil(s) mixture.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/11/the-essential-guide-25-popular-oils-butters-and-natural-ingredients-and-how-they-work-on-natural-hair/

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 59>
  Share Topic