Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2 Dead, 2 Critical In Nev. Middle School Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

2 Dead, 2 Critical In Nev. Middle School Shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I hope they throw the shooter's parents in jail for neglect, child endangerment, child abuse, attempted murder, and murder.

Ummm....
Sponsored Links

hauteshellbi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote hauteshellbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 2:09pm
Maysay we get it! geesh we know you are anti life and think everyone should swallow! We get it SleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepy

ETA: Mods for real we need that ignore button

Edited by hauteshellbi - Oct 21 2013 at 2:10pm
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

Maysay we get it! geesh we know you are anti life and think everyone should swallow! We get it SleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepySleepy

ETA: Mods for real we need that ignore button

Huh? I'm antilife because I think negligent parents should be held accountable when their minor child somehow accesses a weapon and then kills people with it?

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 2:31pm
Sandy Hook opened the flood gates. They won't be shooting up universities anymore, they're going after the kiddies now
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 10:44pm

'Hero' teacher, student gunman dead in Nevada

A Nevada middle school student shot and killed a teacher and wounded two students Monday before fatally shooting himself in the nation's latest horrific act of school violence.

Police said the teacher died trying to protect students.

"We've got video we have to review, people we've got to talk to," said Tom Robinson, deputy chief of Reno police. "But in my estimation, he is a hero. We do know he was trying to intervene."

The Reno Gazette-Journal said the victim, 45-year-old Michael Landsberry, was also a member of the Nevada Army National Guard. Landsberry was a popular math teacher at Sparks Middle School, the Journal said.

Chanda Landsberry said her brother-in-law, who received bachelor's degree in Education from the University of Nevada, Reno in 2001, loved teaching.

"He loved his school kids. He loved the Guard," she said. "It defined him."

Eighth-grader Kyle Nucum, 13, said he was on an outside basketball court when the shooting happened about 7:15 a.m. local time.

"We heard a pop, like a loud pop, and everybody was screaming and the teacher came to investigate," Kyle said. "I thought it was a firecracker at first, but the student was pointing a gun at the teacher. After the teacher told him to put it down, and the student fired a shot ... at the teacher and the teacher fell and everybody ran away."

Kyle said he and other students heard four or five more shots as they ran across a field, where a woman let them into her home.

Student Michelle Hernandez said she saw the shooter Monday morning. "I heard him saying, 'Why you people making fun of me, why you laughing at me,?" Michelle said.

Eighth-grader Seth Hinchberger said the shooter "pulled out a weapon and just shot it. And scared all of us and we just started running."

Seth said they ran into a hall and created a pile, "guys in the front … for the safety of the girls." He said the shooter came over and appeared to aim at the pile, but was distracted by a teacher and started shooting in another direction.

Landsberry's students shared the pain of his loss in an outpouring of heartfelt messages on social media, and shared silly photos of their teacher, showing his playfulness in the classroom.

Michael Landsberry kept a math website to help his students get through each year called "Welcome to Mr. L's Math Class for 2013-2014."

"I have one classroom rule and it is very simple: 'Thou Shall Not Annoy Mr. L,'" the site said. "I am looking forward to getting to know and teach all of you this year. I know that at times the year will be tough and boring but I will do my best to make the lessons exciting."

Some of his students told reporters that Landsberry loved Batman so much that many used the title as his nickname.

Angela Rambo, spokeswoman for Renown Regional Hospital, said the hospital had received two male patients, both minors and both initially in critical condition. Their conditions later were upgraded, one to fair condition, the other to serious condition.

A Sparks Middle School student cries with family members after being released from Agnes Risley Elementary School. Some students were evacuated after a shooting Oct. 21, 2013, at Sparks Middle School in Sparks, Nev.  Kevin Clifford, AP

Reno Deputy Police Chief Tom Robinson said 150 to 200 personnel secured the school and the surrounding area. Addressing parents during a press conference, he said "I can tell them to rest assured. The schools are safe. The rest of the city is safe."

Sparks Middle School, in a working-class section of the city of 90,000, has about 700 students in the seventh and eighth grades.

"This is just a very sad day for us, a very tragic day," said Pedro Martinez, the superintendent of the Washoe County School District.

Sparks Mayor Geno Martini praised the emergency response during a press conference Monday.

"The city itself is very safe, this is just an isolated incident," Martini said. "It's very, very tragic, I'm saddened to have to be here."

Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval issued a statement:

"I was deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning. My administration is receiving regular updates and the Nevada Highway Patrol is assisting at the scene. Kathleen and I extend our thoughts and prayers to the victims and those affected by these tragic events."

Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., also released this statement expressing condolences to the victims, their families and everyone at the school.

McAndrew and Du n report for the Gazette-Journal. Contibuting: Guy Clifton, Steve Timko, Susan Skorupa, Martha Bellisle, Emerson Marcus, Gazette-Journal; John Bacon, USA TODAY; Associated Press..

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/21/nevada-middle-school-shooting/3143903/
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 10:54pm

I hope they throw the shooter's parents in jail for neglect, child endangerment, child abuse, attempted murder, and murder.

The hell?
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 11:15pm
I think the parents will be charge with possible neglect if the Gun was not lock or in a secure place . I will wait for more details . Kids can find a way to do wrong no matter how hard you try to be a good parent . Talk to your children everyday . I find out all types of things about my daughter that she never mention , simply by asking how was her day .  

Edited by india100 - Oct 21 2013 at 11:18pm
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 12:18am
Kid breaks a window or scratches a car, parents are held liable for the damage.

Kid gets hold of a gun, kills people, injures others, and causes irreparable harm to those in the community....the parents should be held liable. That's just simple logic...nothing appalling or ridiculous about it.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 12:44am
maysay....most folks on here are smashing, have kids and/or intend to have kids someday. Ain't nobody gone co-sign liability if their kids loses their mind and shoots up some place one day.   I know I wouldn't.

Edited by newdiva1 - Oct 22 2013 at 12:44am
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 11:16am

Parents of Nevada school shooter could face criminal charges

By The Christian Science Monitor
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:47 EDT

video

The facts are still emerging from the Nevada school shooting Monday, in which a 12-year-old student at Sparks Middle School allegedly shot and killed a popular math teacher and injured two male classmates before killing himself. Even the name of the shooter has still not been released.

But among the facts authorities have revealed is that they believe the shooter got the Ruger 9 mm semiautomatic handgun used in the attack from his home.

The boy reportedly brought the gun to school grounds and, just before classes started for the day, wounded one student, shot and killed math teacher Mike Landsberry, and wounded another student before turning the gun on himself.

While it’s too soon to know how the shooter was able to get access to the gun he brought from home, most underage school shooters obtain their weapons from home, a relative, or another home where they knew guns were kept. Questions are already being raised about whether any adults could be held criminally liable if they are proven to have negligently allowed the student access to the firearm.

At a news conference, Sparks Deputy Police Chief Tom Miller said the local prosecutor will have to determine whether to press charges against the shooter’s parents if, in fact, the gun came from their home, “but the potential is there.”

Other examples also point to that possibility, but they suggest that the prosecution of such cases varies widely, whether or not states have laws specifically targeting negligent parents.

For its part, Nevada is one of 27 states that does have a Child Access Prevention (CAP) law. But some laws are more stringent than others.

Nevada, like 12 other states, prohibits only intentional, knowing, or reckless provision of firearms to minors. Several other states impose liability if the child actually uses the firearm. Only three – Massachusetts, Minnesota, and California (plus the District of Columbia) – impose liability when a child “may” or “is likely to” gain access to a gun, even if they never do.

Of these, Massachusetts is the only state that has a true “safe storage” law on the books, says Sam Hoover, a staff attorney at the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. The Massachusetts law requires that guns be locked at all times in the home, except when used in self-defense. In addition, all guns in Massachusetts must be kept with a locking device in place.

Yet even in those states that don't have CAP laws, some prosecutors have found ways to go after gun owners who fail to keep weapons out of children's hands.

“It’s a fairly straightforward civil liability case that a parent can be held liable for failing to adequately secure a gun away from a young person, and there have been a number of civil suits over the years, and a number of reported cases around the country of holding gun owners to the highest degree of care in securing their weapons,” says Jonathan Lowy, director of the Legal Action Project at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

In Washington, a non-CAP state, both a 9-year-old boy’s mother and her boyfriend were criminally charged after the boy brought a loaded gun to school and it went off in his backpack, critically injuring a classmate. Prosecutors said that giving the boy access to the gun constituted an “extreme act of negligence.”

The boy’s mother, a felon, eventually pleaded guilty to two counts of unlawful possession of a firearm in exchange for having the assault charge against her dropped. Her boyfriend is still appealing his charge of third-degree assault.

Meanwhile in Ohio, also a non-CAP state, the uncle of sophomore T.J. Lane, who killed three students and wounded three others at Chardon High School in February 2012, was never charged with any crime, though T.J. reportedly stole the handgun he used from his uncle. Instead, parents of the three students killed filed a wrongful death lawsuit, charging that T.J.'s parents and grandparents failed to supervise him, and in doing so, “facilitated, contributed to, and otherwise failed to prevent the fatal shooting."

The National Rifle Association has argued that CAP laws have done nothing to improve gun safety, and strict gun-storage laws could leave people unable to defend themselves adequately if their home is invaded.

But gun-control activists suggest that, in many cases, parents should be among those held liable when accidents or intentional violence results.

“There’s no question that parents and gun owners should be held accountable,” says Mr. Lowy. “Gun owners should – and most do – store their guns safely. When you don’t and bad things foreseeably happen, of course you should be held accountable. With rights come responsibilities.”

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, some 1.7 million children and youth in the US lived with loaded and unlocked guns in their home in 2002. But guns, Lowy notes, are the only consumer product in America exempt from authority by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

“Under federal law, if a BB gun does not have a feasible safety feature which would save lives, the CPSC can recall that product,” says Lowy. “But the CPSC has no such authority over real guns.”

He compares the situation to that of seat belts – which at one point weren’t even a standard feature in many cars, before eventually becoming required pre-installed features, before their usage became law, and which were then accompanied by air bags. “In guns, we are at the pre-installed seatbelt stage of technology – a lock that’s not attached to the gun comes with it, and you could throw it in the garbage if you want,” Lowy says.

Newer “smart guns” – which can only be fired by an authorized user – are an even higher level of safety, “more akin to the airbag.”

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic