1. Her family history and the struggles and stories of the people who came before either one of them.
Her flaws and her heartbreaks, as hurtful as they might be, because
perfection isn’t realistic but disappointments are. They, however,
aren’t the end of the world unless you let them be.
Pride in being who she is, from her quirks and craziness to her most
laudable qualities, and the lesson to never over-invest in her beauty
without equally investing in her intelligence.
How to understand her worth. Power and self-confidence ebb and flow —
sometimes up, sometimes down — but a person’s worth doesn’t budge.
5. Respect for God, for herself, for nature and for her elders.
How to make choices and be prepared for the consequences, whatever they
are, without blaming other people or beating up too badly on herself if
things don’t go as planned.
The importance of taking care of herself — physically with checkups and
prevention, yes, but also with a holistic approach to her self-care:
Mental, spiritual and emotional.
How to forgive herself and other people, because the burden of
resentment and unchecked anger will make her miserable and unpleasant.
The dreams that she didn’t realize. Not everything we aspire to is
going to come to pass and there is mourning for those losses, just like
anything else. But learning how to regroup and move on is essential.
10. How to save money, handle credit, pay bills on time and appreciate everything you have, even if it’s not always enough.
11. The fact
that morals and manners may not be flashy or sexy, but they are the
dividing factor between people with home training and people other folks
can’t wait to leave.
12. How to be prepared for the –isms:
racism, sexism, classism. Because at least one of them is always going
to be a factor, in some way or another.
13. The qualities to look for in a man worth marrying, and the difference between a boo thang and a husband.
14. The importance of family and
friends that are like family, because you’re only going to have a
limited number of people who are down for you no matter what.