BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

12 Years A Slave...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oh_so_moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2013 at 1:51pm
Bump as Nature somebody wants to talk about this movie.

Y'all make room so she can play....
Sponsored Links

colemlrch View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemlrch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2013 at 2:01pm
Uh oh.... I wanna c this!
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:20pm
Saw it last night. It's now easily the definitive small screen or big screen film on slavery. The acting elevated it being anything else that's been contributed to this topic. Very focused script, phenomenal acting (particularly by Ejiofor, Nyong'o, and Fassbender), beautiful cinematography, strong directing, and I really enjoyed the way hymns, spirituals, and religious traditions were weaved into the narrative without feeling forced. The scene where Northrup became animated and passionate during a church service was one of the most powerful parts of the movie. The same religious stuff being used to enslave him was also the one thing that gave him strength and comfort...but maybe it wasn't truly the religious aspect, just the strength and soul of the harmonies coming from a group of unified black people.

Mcqueen lingered on uncomfortable moments for a very long time. Those long shots really immersed you in the film and the lack of quick cuts forced you to dwell on not only what was happening but what it meant in the larger scope of humanity, such as the hanging scene with the kids playing just a few feet away, or a beating that eventually pulls back to see the white house standing in the backdrop of the frame.

The movie touched on many of the common tropes of slave movies but it did so with a much more nuanced approach, imo. Tropes such as the nice slave owner, house slaves vs field slaves, dark skinned black women giving birth to white slave owners light skinned children, white women feeling threatened by black women, the creativity of slaves that seemed to piss whites off, saving yourself vs saying your brothers and sisters, fighting back vs placating to the owners, running away, white heroes and white faux heroes, and so many others. It hit so many notes beautifully. From the slave owner spoiling a young black girl/giving her candy and treating her like his daughter in front of the slaves to the psychological torment of being treated as property; forced to dance, forced to strip in broad daylight, forced to act slow and unaware, forced to not be educated. 

The only real complaint I'd have is some of the scenes felt like stage plays because of the way the actors were delivering their lines. It wasn't always easy to hear what they were saying. The visual style was very distinct but at times it felt a little self indulgent.

I'll be buying the film on blu ray when it's released to see behind the scenes footage. I'll be shocked if this isn't given best director, actor, supporting actor, and supporting actress nods.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Nov 12 2013 at 12:36pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:25pm
Random I know this movie makes yt people uncomfortable just from they way they talk about it.  Good.  Maybe it will help them understand why we're still talking about it like it happened yesterday. 
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 2:20pm
it make everyone uncomfortable the movie was PURE STRESS but necessary!
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 2:22pm
you will be shocked!among other things its not possible to walk out feeling nothing.... I had a headache lasted 2 days after this movie SO take your advil or herabl tea or whatever you take with you
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

you will be shocked!among other things its not possible to walk out feeling nothing.... I had a headache lasted 2 days after this movie SO take your advil or herabl tea or whatever you take with you

No black person should be "shocked" to be honest.  It bothers me that so many will but I support this movie waking some blacks up to reality.  Its not like most of us have ever been exposed to or taught the true brutality of slavery.   If I had a dollar for everytime I heard a black person say "it was a long time ago, get over it" I would be wealthy.   I have received many side-eyes on BHM for accurately calling slavery The American Genocide.  
patternsandtexture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patternsandtexture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 2:36pm
Than they should see goodbye uncle tom which was a parady of american slavery but painfully accurate.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 2:47pm

like I posted before, I don't know what emotions people were hoping to feel after seeing this

its not a tyler perry movie

Edited by SamoneLenior - Nov 12 2013 at 4:14pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 2:53pm
Samone I actually think sometimes they think they will see some redemption happening, even if on a very small scale.  I don't think slave movies should be like that even though I cracked up when Django whooped ass and rode away likeCool

I bet white people walked in thinking there would be a bunch of well-meaning "good" slave masters.  Ha!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
  Share Topic