Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

12 Years A Slave...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 4:56am
welp...if I can spend my money on Django I can def spend it on this. 
Sponsored Links

purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 6:39am
Didn't watch Django ( and based on the comments/reviews, sounds like I didn't miss much) but I will most definitely catch this movie. Looks promising.
Soratachi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Soratachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 11:31am
I WILL watch this once it is available in Ireland.
BonitaApplebaum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BonitaApplebaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 11:37am
Saw a movie based on him before... Really f@ed up!
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:02pm
Well, I wasn't sure based on just the previews but from what I've read in this article and from some movie-goers tweets, it looks like this movie will not shy away from the factual brutalities committed in slavery

12 Years A Slave' Reviews From Telluride: 'Masterful,' 'Phenomenal,' 'Slavery Movie For The Ages'

The Huffington Post  |  By Christopher Rosen Posted:   |  Updated: 08/31/2013 9:41 am EDT

On the last Friday in August of 2012, Ben Affleck's "Argo" made a surprise debut at the Telluride Film Festival. The film was met with rapturous reviews from critics attending the prestigious and secretive fest, with many early viewers already predicting Oscar nominations for Affleck's third feature. Six months later, "Argo" was named Best Picture at the 85th annual Academy Awards.

Whether that trajectory happens with Steve McQueen's "12 Years A Slave," of course, remains to be seen. The film, however, was a surprise addition to the already impressive Telluride Film Festival schedule on Friday night, and critics are gushing about the slavery drama, McQueen's third feature, in ways they haven't gushed thus far this year.

"Steve McQueen's '12 Years a Slave,' Anchored By Brilliant Chiwetel Ejiofor, Is a Slavery Movie For the Ages," reads the headline on Eric Kohn's A-plus review for Indiewire. The piece is no less enthusiastic, with Kohn writing that "Ejiofor is a lock for Best Performance in the Oscar race, as is McQueen and his movie."

Kohn's sentiments were echoed both by the audience response to the film's debut screening (THR described the applause as "thunderous"), and awards pundits. THR Oscar expert Scott Feinberg wrote that "12 Years A Slave" should not only factor in the Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor race, but also in the supporting categories, where Michael Fassbender (as a slave owner) and newcomer Lupita Nyong'o stand good chances of breaking through.

Based on the memoir by Solomon Northup, "12 Years A Slave" tells the story of a man (Ejiofor) who was kidnapped into slavery in 1841 and forced to spend 12 years living in increasingly brutal circumstances. Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano and Bryan Batt play various oppressors, with Nyong'o, Sarah Paulson, Alfre Woodard, Paul Giamatti, Michael K. Williams, Quvenzhane Wallis, Dwight Henry, Taran Killam, Scoot McNairy, Garret Dillahunt and Brad Pitt rounding out the film's massive supporting cast.

"Had Steve McQueen not already christened his previous picture thus, 'Shame' would have been the perfect one-word title to capture the gut-wrenching impact of his third and most essential feature," wrote Variety critic Peter Debruge. "This epic account of an unbreakable soul makes even Scarlett O’Hara's struggles seem petty by comparison."

"12 Years A Slave" will also screen at the Toronto International Film Festival and New York Film Festival. Fox Searchlight is set to release the film on Oct. 18. More reactions from Telluride attendees can be found in the tweets below.

Tomris Laffly @TomiLaffly

McQueen's camera fixates to brutal effect. 12 Years A Slave-harshest account of racism I've seen. Get ready USA-it'll hit in a big way. WOW!

Alex Billington @firstshowing

There are scenes in 12 Years a Slave where just watching the face, the deep emotions and nuances of Chiwetel Ejiofor, will make you tear up.

Hollywood Elsewhere @wellshwood

“12 Years” is easily Steve McQueen’s finest film. A perfect blending of art & narrative. Brutal but compassionate. A great American epic.

John Ridley’s “12 Years A Slave” script is deft, direct, unsparing and highly intelligent. It puts Quentin’s “Django” screenplay to shame.

Masterful, tender and eloquent, “12 Years” nonetheless contains some of the most horrifically bile behavior I’ve ever seen or contemplated.

gregoryellwood @HitFixGregory

Powerful 12 years a slave appropriately brutal with a stunning turn by Chiwetel Ejifor which should earn him a best actor Oscar #Telluride

Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:59pm
Im going to watching it.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 2:59pm
Damn, I can't even get through this featurette without tearing up... how am i gonna make it through this movie Disapprove

Edited by Alias_Avi - Sep 05 2013 at 2:59pm
smaison View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smaison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 5:21pm
I have some free movie tickets so I'll catch it.
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 5:40pm

Toronto Film-Goers Walk Out of 12 Years a Slave Due to Horrific Scenes of Bondage and Violence [VIDEO]

The films lead actor, Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years a Slave. (Fox Searchlight Films)
The film's lead actor, Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years a Slave. (Fox Searchlight Films)

Scenes of slaves being beaten, tortured and killed caused some audience members watching 12 Years a Slave to walk out of the film's premiere at the Toronto Film Festival.

Chiwetel Ejiofor, the film's Oscar-tipped British star, defended the violent scenes in the bondage tale, saying they were vital to director Steve McQueen's adaptation of Solomon Northup's book.

"Solomon's story is full of [violence] but also full of beauty and hope and human respect and dignity," he told The Independent.

"With Steve there to guide it, we weren't afraid to explore all that, and go to those dark places."

The "dark places" included graphic scenes of violence that saw some members of the audience walk out of the screening. There were several depictions of brutal violence, with particular attention paid to the scarring of victims.

The movie focuses on the story of Ejiofor, who plays Northup - a free musician living in Saratoga, New York, who is kidnapped and sold into slavery in the South.

An early scene shows him being beaten 15 times with a bat and then whipped 14 times by his kidnappers.

The director McQueen also shows slaves being hanged and killed. One scene, lasting 10 minutes, shows a plantation owner, played by Michael Fassbender, stringing up a slave to a post before ordering her beating. She is whipped at total of 41 times.

McQueen's previous film Shame depicted a sex addict, but this time it is likely to be the violence that will attract attention.

There was a 10-minute standing ovation for the film at the Toronto Film Festival, which left many in the audience reduced to tears. Comparisons have been made between 12 Years a Slave and Schindler's List.Ermm

The film is hotly tipped as a winner for next year's Oscars with a Best Picture nomination most likely.

McQueen and his cast, which also includes Brad Pitt, took the stage after its official world premiere to answer questions.

McQueen told the audience he wanted to adapt Northup's story to show the harsh realities of slavery. "I wanted to see that story on film," said the London-born film-maker. "It's that simple."

Pitt, who also served as producer, said: "Steve was the first to ask why there have not been more films on the US history of slavery. It's a question it took a Brit to ask."

Watch the trailer for 12 Years a Slave

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2013 at 6:00pm
Why the face Blaq?

Wow @ 10 minute standing ovation. I'm definitely going to see this
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists