FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic Closed12 Years A Slave...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 3:14pm
PH. Clown
Sponsored Links

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 3:14pm
Heart
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 4:11pm
its now pp innit?

PurplePhase .. we can read miss!!

noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 4:16pm
big screen, small screen tomato, tamato. point is, the story has been made into film before and in none of the many interviews I've seen or read about from mcqueen does he make even the smallest of references to this fact. Like I said, I find it very fishy at best.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

its now pp innit?

PurplePhase .. we can read miss!!

LOL

but I said this in the other thread:

Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I know how yall do tho--folks on their 12th username and yall still call them by their original names. So hopefully everyone will still think of me as PurpleHaze

LOL

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 4:32pm
Noney, I agree there should be some mention of Gordon's movie.

I was just asking for clarification though, because it's possible that I missed another theater movie about it since I rarely go to the movies anymore. But I do usually try to keep up with what's out lol. Thanks bhm

Edited by PurplePhase - Oct 29 2013 at 4:33pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

big screen, small screen tomato, tamato. point is, the story has been made into film before and in none of the many interviews I've seen or read about from mcqueen does he make even the smallest of references to this fact. Like I said, I find it very fishy at best.

Took about 30 seconds of googling to find a small reference.

STEVE McQUEEN:  The book read like a script. It was a script already—there it was, on the page—and with every turn of the page, there was another huge revelation. For anyone who thinks that they know slavery—you read that book and you do a double take. It was just stunning to me that I'd never known about it. In fact, the majority of the people who I spoke to about the story had no idea about it. I was like, "How did I not know about this book?" It was like reading Anne Frank's diary for the first time. I was surprised that this story had never really been thought of as material for a film before. I mean, Gordon Parks had done something on Northup ...

MITCHELL:
Yeah, it was a public-television thing that followed Northup's story [the 1984 American Playhouse film Solomon Northup's Odyssey].

McQUEEN: Yeah. But I was just shocked that I didn't know this story, and immediately became very passionate that I wanted to make it into a movie.

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/steve-mcqueen-1/

And I think there is a pretty big (and tangible) difference between a film for TV - one that Parks said he had to compromise the material and make it lighter for a TV audience, even though he personally thought it made the film weaker - and an international release by a director with the full creative control.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Oct 29 2013 at 5:07pm
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 5:16pm
well color me half wrong. he acknowledged the original film (rather dismissively) only after the interviewer brought the subject up. kudo to him.

got anymore examples? rhetorical but I doubt it. 

either way, I've seen the original and loved it. will probably read the book and love it too I'm sure so i'll save my 10 bucks cuz McQueen rubs me funny.

personal problem
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

well color me half wrong. he acknowledged the original film (rather dismissively) only after the interviewer brought the subject up. kudo to him.

got anymore examples? rhetorical but I doubt it. 

either way, I've seen the original and loved it. will probably read the book and love it too I'm sure so i'll save my 10 bucks cuz McQueen rubs me funny.

personal problem

Steve brought the subject up and the interviewer cut him off to add more info. The quote is right there and in chronological order.

The point seemed pretty clear. He couldn't understand why so many people, including himself, had never heard of the story. Parks' film being a  (director-admitted watered down) TV movie seen by a limited number of Americans provides some reason why he, and many others, had never heard of the story.
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 5:27pm
ok. my response was presumptuous and out of selective reading. his dismissive acknowledgement came before the interviewer mentioned the original film.  even more distubing imo. yuck
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
  Share Topic