Joined: Feb 26 2005
Topic: 101 Tips On How To Make Your Hair Grow Quicker
Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 10:55pm
101 Tips On How To Make Your Hair Grow Quicker
Proper hair growth depends on several factors such as diet, hair care regime, age, hormonal changes, pregnancy, certain diseases, medications, climate, genetic predisposition, etc.
In addition, your ethnic hair group also plays an important role in this regard because Asian/Oriental hair has the capacity to grow longer than Caucasian and Black-Afro/Caribbean hair.
Nevertheless, you can help your hair grow faster by taking a nutritious diet and taking good care of your hair. For example, if you have oily and greasy hair, then avoid washing your hair daily because it over stimulates the sebaceous glands.
Furthermore, regular washing strips the oil from the roots, thereby making them dry and brittle. Still, greasy hair needs to be washed more frequently than dry hair. Thick, long, and curly hair, in particular, need not be washed every day.
Those who cannot help shampoo daily can first apply conditioner to the ends and mid-section but away from the roots and then use a mild shampoo with more emphasis on the roots as it shall reach the ends while rinsing.
It has been observed that generally, strands of hair grow at a rate of about 0.3 to 0.4 mm in a day. Thus, they grow almost half an inch per month, or approximately six inches in a year.
101 Ways to Make Your Hair Grow Faster
Diet and Lifestyle
- Incorporate foods high in vitamins and minerals in your diet. Fruits, vegetables, seeds, and whole grains rich in vitamin B complex (B3-niacin, B5, B6, B7-biotin, B9, and B12) are particularly useful for growing hair in a healthy way.
Thus, you can have soybeans, avocados, blueberries, tuna, peanuts, Brazil nuts, etc. Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, iron, zinc, magnesium, and silica, too, encourage hair growth.
- Include dark-green vegetables such as broccoli, kale, collard, spinach, mustard greens, green peas, and salmon, mackerel, walnuts, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, and so on in your diet because they contain omega-3 essential fatty acids that boost hair growth.
- As hair is made of protein, include high-protein food items such as milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, poultry, soy tofu, turkey, oyster, beans, and lentils in your diet.
In addition, drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day to stay hydrated to sustain cell health. Needless to say, abstain from cigarette smoking and excessive alcohol intake as theseunhealthy habits promote hair loss.
- Apart from these, some other healthy foods recommended for hair growth are almonds, bell peppers,alfalfa sprouts, and oats.
- Drink a mixture of alfalfa juice, carrot juice, and lettuce juice.
- Consume beetroot juice because it is high in vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin C, folic acid, protein, and amino acids.
- Another juice recipe involves extracting the juice of half small beet, half a cucumber, and five largecarrots.
- Regularly consume a cup of yogurt mixed with one tablespoon each of wheat germ, soya lecithin, brewer’s yeast, and honey. You can include this in your breakfast.
- Drink freshly brewed green tea or take green tea capsules to combat hair loss. Furthermore, you may rinse your scalp with a solution prepared by steeping two green tea bags in a cup of hot water.
Green tea is rich in polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) and has anti-inflammatory properties that facilitate hair growth, and reduce hair loss.
- Take proper rest and sleep; it is during sleep that the growth hormone is released and the body repairs itself. In fact, sleep deprivation is one of the most common factors associated with hair loss.
Hence, maintaining a good sleeping pattern not only keeps you healthy, energized, and emotionally stable, but also helps in hair growth.
- Yoga can prove to be of great help in making your hair grow faster and longer. Certain yogic postures can improve circulation to the scalp and hence promote hair growth naturally.
- Follow acupressure techniques to decrease hair loss and boost hair growth.
- Regular aerobic and cardiovascular exercises improve circulation, lower cortisone levels, and reduce DHT (dihydrotestosterone), thereby encouraging hair growth and protecting against hair loss.
- Reduce stress; it encourages hair loss. You could try meditation and relaxation techniques to manage stress. You need to eliminate both physical and emotional stress.
- A chemical called Capsaicin, which is present in cayenne pepper is beneficial in alleviating stress-induced hair loss.
You can take about a teaspoon or a little less than a teaspoon of cayenne pepper or chili powder to promote hair growth and avoid hair loss. For convenience, you may add the powder in a glass of water or apple cider vinegar.
- A combination of capsaicin and soy isoflavone extract (both in oral doses) is also considered useful. However, there is need for further research in this regard.
Hair Growth Supplements
- Take multivitamins and vitamin supplements to increase your vitamin intake for healthy hair growth.
- Folic acid pills, taken once or twice daily (almost 400 micrograms), assist in the synthesis of amino acids and aid in cell division to make your hair grow faster.
It is naturally present in fenugreek, spinach, flax seeds, black beans, pinto beans, broccoli, cucumber, tomato, milk, yogurt, brewer’s yeast, peanuts, strawberries, papaya, kiwi, orange juice, and so on.
- FDA approved biotin pills, preferably taken orally along with other B vitamins, facilitates hair growth.
- Take sea kelp supplements to speed up hair growth and reduce breakage. It is particularly good for individuals suffering from iodine deficiency. To apply it topically on the scalp, dilute one part of pure sea kelp extract in three parts of distilled water.
- Consume fish-oil supplements. They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids acids that provide nutrients to the hair follicles. Gelatin capsules, too, are considered effective for faster hair and nail growth.Vegans, however, may have to look for other alternatives.
- Flaxseed oil pills are also effective in making hair grow faster. You may include flaxseed oil in your diet by adding it in salad dressings, smoothies, etc.
However, flax oil may not work for some people because it requires enough enzymes that can convert its ALA (alpha linolenic acid linolenic acid) into DHA and EPA that further break down into prostaglandins.
- Taking nettle tablets (500 mg per day) works as a great remedy to stop hair loss. Needless to say, before taking any supplement, consult your doctor. If not interested in taking pills, drink stinging nettle tea three times in a day.
- Propecia (finasteride) is another effective hair loss remedy. It has side effects, though. In addition, it is not recommended for women.
- Saw Palmetto berry extract improves skin and scalp conditions, and helps reverse hair loss or Androgenic Alopecia. This herbal remedy can either be taken as a dietary supplement (320 to 480 mg) or used topically.
You can take this supplement twice daily. When applying it on the scalp, combine the extract with some oil and then leave it on your hair for at least one or two hours.
Besides, you may use a Saw Palmetto shampoo. It is advised to consult your physician before trying this method of hair growth. Plus, consider talking to an alternative medicine expert for suitable dosage.
- Sulfur assists in metabolizing B vitamins, which in turn help grow your hair. Moreover, it provides strength to the hair. You can take sulfur supplements in the form of MSM (methylsulfonylmethane)capsules and apply sulfur mixes (sublimed sulfur powder) after mixing them in your hair oil.
- Topically applying liquid melatonin on the scalp once daily has shown positive results in increasing hair growth and re-growth in women. However, further research is required to determine the long-terms effects of this treatment.
- Ginseng is a popular Chinese herb that promotes hair growth and helps repair damaged hair cells.
- Chinese angelica root or dong quai is another Chinese herb that works a natural cure for hair loss.
- Ginkgo Biloba extract also works as an alternative medicine to boost hair growth.
- Evening primrose oil can be taken internally (total 1,000 mg, three times per day) as well as applied externally on the scalp to stimulate hair growth. It is a good source of potent prostaglandins and omega-6 fatty acids.
Plus, it has GLA (Gamma-Linolenic Acid) that prevents hair loss. As this oil tends to go rancid soon, you may consider taking it in capsule form.
Oils for Hair Growth
- Massage the scalp with warm organic coconut oil (heat it slightly in a double boiler or in a microwave for a few seconds), apply it on the hair and leave for at least 30-45 minutes. To increase the absorption of oil you can do a Saran wrap.
Coconut oil is one of the best oils recommended for hair growth because it prevents the loss of protein from your hair. Moreover, it stimulates circulation, prevents dandruff, and reduces head lice infestation.
You can follow hot oil deep conditioning treatments about once or twice in a week. If you want to soak your hair in oil for longer, then after applying the oil, wrap a soft towel around your hair, and leave it overnight.
- Boil some fresh curry leaves in coconut oil until the leaves turn black. Cool and strain the oil. Massage this oil generously onto your hair and scalp two times in a week to stimulate hair growth.
- Like curry leaves, you can boil dry amla pieces (Indian gooseberry) in coconut oil.
- Similarly, you can boil ten Chinese Hibiscus flowers in two cups of coconut oil until they become charred and use the resultant oil to augment hair growth.
- Massaging antioxidant rich, extra-virgin olive oil on the scalp aids in circulation, thereby encouraging hair growth. It stops DTH production on the scalp and hence prevents hair loss. In addition, olive oil works as a natural conditioner and scalp disinfectant.
- Another recipe with olive oil involves adding three drops each of cedar wood oil, thyme oil, two drops each of rosemary, lavender, peppermint essential oil, and half a teaspoon of grated ginger in a quarter cup of organic olive oil.
- Add organic honey and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in warm olive oil. Massage this paste on your scalp, let it sit for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
- Apply castor oil or a combination of two tablespoons of castor oil mixed with four drops of rosemary essential oil to reduce hair loss.
- Being rich in fatty acids and vitamin E, pure argan oil works wonders in nourishing damaged hair, encouraging hair growth, taking care of curly hair, and protecting your tresses from ultraviolet rays and environmental pollution. Moroccan argan oil is quite popular in this regard.
- Emu oil promotes hair growth and fights baldness by revitalizing dormant hair follicles and inhibiting 5 alpha reductase.
This enzyme that converts testosterone into DHT which, in turn, causes hair loss. Moreover, it has ant-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
- Eucalyptus oil stimulates blood flow and thus increases hair growth. Furthermore, it revitalizes dull hair, treats dandruff, improves hair texture, and promotes hair elasticity and luster.
- Amla oil serves as an excellent Ayurvedic remedy for reducing loss of hair.
- Sweet almond oil helps in reducing issues like hair loss, hair fall, and breakage; helps ease scalp irritation and inflammation, too.
- Grape seed oil is a light oil that nourishes the scalp and makes hair grow fast. It can be applied on all types of hair. In fact, it is helps make curly hair manageable.
- Jojoba oil is similar oil that absorbs quickly and does not make your hair too greasy after application. Pure jojoba oil is hypoallergenic.
- Wheat germ oil, rich in a variety of fatty acids (longer than the ones present in coconut oil), vitamin A, vitamin B complex, vitamin D, vitamin E, choline, and so on, is considered effective for growing long hair.
- You may use wheat germ oil in combination with coconut milk and aloe vera gel to nourish your hair and increase hair growth.
- Another remedy involves massaging the scalp with two tablespoons of castor oil mixed with three drops of tea tree oil. Leave for at least half an hour and then shampoo. You can follow this treatment once daily.
- Avocado oil, being rich in amino acids and antioxidants, nourishes damaged hair and encourages healthy growth of hair. It is effective for deep conditioning.
- Flaxseed oil, being rich in essential fatty acids, stimulates hair and nail growth. Furthermore, you can make a flaxseed gel at home to manage curly hair.
- Pure nettle oil works as a hair tonic.
- Pumpkin seed oil inhibits DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) production, testosterone and androgen levels. Therefore, it assists in controlling hair loss. DHT blocks the hair follicles from absorbing proteins.
- Essential oils like that of rosemary, thyme, sage, lavender, cedarwood, peppermint, Roman chamomile, lemon, grapefruit, cypress, carrot root, geranium, ylang ylang, etc. can be mixed in carrier oil and massaged on the scalp to accelerate hair growth.
- Rosemary oil, in particular, is high beneficial for hair growth. In case you do not want to buy it, prepare the oil yourself by placing the herb in a glass bottle, adding oil of your choice (olive oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, sesame oil, etc.).
Let this solution sit for two to four weeks. Apart from applying this herb externally, regularly drink two cups of rosemary tea.
- Apply a mixture of one teaspoon of vitamin E oil, two ounces of grape seed oil, six ounces of extra-virgin coconut oil, ten drops of rosemary oil, ten drops of eucalyptus oil and ten drops of tea tree oil.
- Add 3 ml jojoba oil, three drops each of lavender oil, rosemary oil, and two drops each of thyme and cedar wood oil in 20 ml grape seed oil. Massage with this oil and leave for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix a quarter cup each of jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, 15 drops of rosemary essential oil, and the same quantity of peppermint oil/eucalyptus oil. Massage your scalp with this oil blend daily before going to bed and leave it overnight.
Herbal Infusions and Hair Masks
- Adding herbal infusions like that of lavender, rosemary, sage, southern wood, and so on in your shampoo is another easy and popular way to stimulate hair growth.
- Mix four teaspoons of ground coffee in eight ounces of your shampoo before using it. Do not use this treatment more than once in a day.
- Blend fresh parsley sprigs in a blender to get a puree and apply it on your scalp and hair for an hour or so. Alternatively, you can grind parsley seeds, rub the resultant powder on the scalp, and leave it overnight.
- After washing, simply rinse your hair with rosemary infusion after washing. While using rosemary, remember that it tends to darken the hair color over a period of time.
- Steep three tablespoons of fresh or dried rosemary in a cup of boiling water for 30 to 45 minutes. Allow it to cool.
Next, strain the solution and add a cup of apple cider vinegar and a few drop of rosemary essential oil. Use this rosemary vinegar once in a week after shampooing your hair.
For applying, mix four teaspoons of this infusion in warm water and rinse your hair with it. Finally, wash your hair with plain water after about five minutes.
- It is believed that applying a mixture of onion juice and honey on the scalp, especially the bald patches cures hair loss and helps re-grow hair.
- A combination of onion juice and aloe vera gel is also useful.
- Applying shea butter on your hair for a few hours helps revitalize damaged hair and softens dry hair. In addition, it enhances hair growth because it is rich in essential vitamins and minerals.
You can prepare shea butter for hair at home by heating one and a half cup of shea butter in a microwave or over a double-boiler (just soften it, do not melt it completely, though) and whip it to get batter-like consistency.
Next, add half a cup of olive oil in it and again mix. Finally, blend this mixture along with a teaspoon of vitamin E oil and half an ounce of an essential oil of your choice to get a light texture and smooth consistency.
- Mix four tablespoons of grapeseed oil, an egg, and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Massage this slimy solution on your hair and scalp. Wash it off after 20-30 minutes.
- Massage the scalp with a combination of almond oil, a few drops of lavender oil, and an egg yolkto promote hair growth. Rinse it off after about half an hour.
- Soak two to three tablespoons of amla powder in water and keep it aside for a week and rinse your hair this solution to stimulate hair follicles. It works as a natural hair conditioner, too.
- This is another amla powder hair recipe for healing hair loss. Take two teaspoons of amla powder, and add two teaspoons of fenugreek powder and sufficient coconut oil in it to form a paste.
Next, mix this paste in a cup of coconut oil. Put this mixture on low heat until it becomes brownish. Keep it aside for a couple of hours and then apply.
- Application of aloe vera gel on the scalp and leaving it overnight is beneficial in facilitating hair growth and getting rid of dandruff. It is rich in vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin E, vitamin E, selenium, choline, and other nutrients.
- Massage the scalp with a combination of aloe vera gel and fenugreek seeds to reduce hair loss.
- Steep two to four teaspoons of dried horsetail herb in a cup of hot water for 15-20 minutes. Allow it to cool and then rinse your hair with this solution and wash it off after 20 minutes to boost hair growth. Besides, you can drink horsetail tea.
- Whisk an egg. Mix mashed avocado pulp and half a cup of mayonnaise in it. Use this thick paste to condition your hair two to three times in a month.
- Prepare a smooth hair mask by taking a beaten egg and adding a quarter cup each of mayonnaise andyogurt. Massage it on your hair and scalp, and rinse and shampoo after an hour.
If you are not comfortable directly applying egg in your hair, then just use a cup of mayonnaise as it contains protein, amino acids and B vitamins.
- Those who have oily hair can apply a solution of three tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, two tablespoons of tea tree oil, and the same amount of lime juice. Leave it on your scalp for 2-3 minutes and then wash it to cleanse the scalp and promote hair growth. This recipe also treats dandruff.
- Whisk two egg whites and add two tablespoons of olive oil and about half or one-third cup of water in it. Apply this protein-rich mixture on your scalp. After 15-20 minutes, wash it off with cold water. Follow this procedure once or twice a month to enhance hair growth.
- Application of henna hair packs reduces hair breakage, reduces premature graying of hair, heals the hair shafts, conditions the hair, makes your hair longer, stronger, and softer.
- Take a tomato, three tablespoons of lemon juice, and half a teaspoon of rosemary essential oil. Blend all these ingredients together and apply the resultant paste on your scalp.
Rinse it off with lukewarm water after 10-15 minutes and shampoo as usual. You can follow this procedure a few times in a week, even daily.
- When dealing with hair loss, apply a mixture of henna, two beaten eggs, four teaspoons each of lemon juice, ground coffee, one teaspoon of fenugreek seed powder, and sufficient usual or herbal tea to form a thick paste.
- Heat 60 g of henna leaves in 250 ml of mustard oil. Cool and strain the solution. Massage the scalp with this oil to stimulate hair growth and prevent hair fall.
- Prepare a hair tonic by steeping 100 g watercress in 100 ml alcohol mixed with a teaspoon ofgeranium oil. Keep it aside for one week. Finally, strain and use this solution as a hair loss remedy.
- Rinse your hair with a combination of three parts green tea and four parts vodka.
- Soak a handful of almonds in water overnight. Next day, remove the skin and grind them along with two tablespoons of lemon juice. Massage your scalp with this smooth paste and leave for 20 minutes. Finally, shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- Take half red onion and chop it. Boil it in water along with four garlic cloves, and two teaspoons ofcinnamon powder. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and let it sit for about four days. Rinse your hair with this infusion to combat loss of hair and promote hair growth.
- Combine one tablespoon each of ground oats, almond oil and milk to form a paste. Massage the scalp with this oatmeal mask to moisturize your hair and prevent hair loss. After 20 minutes, wash it off and shampoo your hair.
- Beat an egg and mix two tablespoons of green tea and a tablespoon of mustard powder. Leave this mask on your hair for 20-25 minutes to increase circulation to the scalp. Finally, wash it off and shampoo as usual.
- Use a potato mask prepared by adding an egg yolk and some honey in potato juice extracted from three potatoes.
- Apply a combination of mustard oil, lemon juice, and egg or plain yogurt for half an hour to stimulate healthy growth of hair.
Hair Care Tips and Tricks to Make Your Hair Grow Faster
- Avoid chemical and heat treatments such as, hot rollers, straightening irons, curling irons, etc. on your hair.
- Flip your hair upside down for a couple of minutes to stimulate hair follicles.
- Simply massage your scalp gently in circular motion with your fingers twice daily for a minute or two to improve circulation and help blood and nutrients reach the hair follicles.
- Try using a shampoo scalp massage brush to stimulate hair growth.
- Massage the scalp with a prong hair brush daily for about 10 minutes followed by brushing the hair with a natural boar bristle brush from the root to the ends to redistribute the natural oils on the hair and scalp. You can incorporate this hair care regime every night before going to bed.
- Trim your hair every six to eight weeks. This helps remove split ends, thereby facilitating healthy hair growth. Split ends do not usually prevent the growth of hair, but they are unattractive and make your hair susceptible to breakage.
- Interestingly, it is believed that trimming your hair during the New Moon phase makes hair grow faster whereas cutting your hair during the Full Moon decreases the rate of hair growth. The reason cited for this strange and unusual belief is that moon cycles tend to affect hair growth.
- Though not proven still, people have reported positive results after using Mane ‘N Tail horse shampoo as it moisturizes the hair and prevents breakage.
- Use a clarifying shampoo every few weeks or once in a month to remove scalp buildup. If you use more hair styling products or wash your hair with hard water, then you may have to apply the clarifying shampoo more often, even weekly or two times in a week.
- Protect your hair from the sun by wearing a hat and making a braid to avoid sun exposure on the ends.
- Take proper care of your tresses by maintaining a good hair care routine. Plus, keep certain tips in mind.
For instance, do not brush wet hair as they tend to break easily. Rather, comb your lustrous locks when they are somewhat dry or semi-moist.
In addition, when using a blow dryer, try to use it from midway to the end of the hair shaft. In other words, do not use it close to the root. In case you are dealing with frizzy hair, use a hair dryer with diffuser.
Besides, it is suggested to use silk pillow cases while sleeping as they create less friction. Hence, they prevent tangles.
- Your choice of hair products also plays an important role in maintaining healthy hair that can grow fast.
Thus, select your shampoos, conditioners and other hair-care products depending on your hair type, i.e., whether you have normal, dry, oily or combination hair type. For example, if you have dry hair, it is best for you to opt for an intensive moisturizing shampoo.
You need to follow the above-mentioned remedies for at least a few months to get encouraging results because you cannot grow healthy hair overnight. Most hair packs mentioned here can be applied almostonce or twice weekly.
Needless to say, before applying any hair pack, make sure you comb your hair and remove all tangles to avoid breakage.
When striving to grow beautiful long hair, try to eliminate problems like dandruff, scalp ringworm, scalp psoriasis, folliculitis, seborrheic dermatitis, and so on.
Besides, certain conditions such as anemia, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, lupus, etc. also affect your hair by causing hair fall and thinning of hair. Thus, nurture your hair and maintain good overall health to ensure faster hair growth.
Read more about 101 Tips On How To Make Your Hair Grow Faster at Speedyremedies.com
Natural Home Remedies
Joined: Jun 09 2006
Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 6:59am
Joined: Nov 15 2010
Location: Brick City
Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 7:53am
Wow that's a lot of GREAT info!! Thanks Bindy (sad to say I know about a lot of the vitamins, but I'm not consistent)
Joined: Nov 06 2012
Posted: Aug 28 2015 at 1:34pm
Joined: Aug 08 2015
Posted: Jan 20 2016 at 11:58am
This is a great thread, should be a sticky...