Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10 Mil Americans Switched Their Race or Ethnicity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

10 Mil Americans Switched Their Race or Ethnicity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 Mil Americans Switched Their Race or Ethnicity
    Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 5:34pm

10 Million Americans Switched Their Race or Ethnicity for the Census

The inconsistencies complicate the Census Bureau's longtime attempts to improve accuracy of such data

Almost 10 million Americans changed how they identify their race or ethnicity when asked by the Census Bureau over the course of a decade,according to a new study, adding further uncertainty to data officials already consider to be unreliable.

Using anonymized data for 162 million Americans who responded to Census surveys in 2000 and 2010, researchers at the University of Minnesota and the Census Bureau concluded that self-identified race and ethnicity are fluid concepts for millions of Americans.

If the dataset were nationally representative, researchers said, then the figure would translate to roughly 6% of Americans self-identifying differently over time. But such conclusions are difficult to draw: If a certain racial group, for example, responded less frequently to the 2010 Census than in 2000, that group would be underrepresented.

Researchers examining inconsistency in racial identification found that those who identified their ethnicity as Hispanic in 2000 were more likely to change their race in 2010. Only 23% of Hispanics who identified as white in 2000, for example, “stayed” white in 2010; the parallel statistic for non-Hispanic whites was 97%. Another group that appeared to alter racial identity more frequently was people who selected one of 10 biracial options in 2000, regardless of Hispanic origin.

US Census RaceCenter for Administrative Records Research and Applications, U.S. Census Bureau

The report’s findings complicate the Census Bureau’s multi-year research project to improve the reliability of its race and ethnicity data. The project, called the Alternative Questionnaire Experiment, focused on reducing the 6.2% of 2010 Census respondents who had selected “Some other race.” And 6.2% isn’t insignificant: It translates to millions of Americans whose race or ethnicity data are essentially unknown to the U.S. government.

Race and ethnicity are becoming increasingly complex, researchers emphasized, and it’s becoming more and more difficult for Americans to classify themselves with the check of a box.

“If social science evidence is correct, people are constantly experiencing and negotiating their racial and ethnic identities in interactions with people and institutions, and in personal, local, national, and historical context,” the study said. “Perhaps it is not surprising that people change responses and instead it is surprising that so many are consistent in their race and Hispanic origin reports to the Census Bureau.”

http://time.com/3087649/census-race-ethnicity-report/

Edited by tatee - Aug 07 2014 at 6:16pm
Sponsored Links

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 6:10pm
mmmm I knew a woman who was part African American but looked 100% Caucasian and she probably had her race/ethnicity changed at birth. Her grandparents or one of her grandparents were black, but she was white, blonde, had blue eyes, and she had puffy lips like Angelina Jolie.
Her oldest daughter came out just like her, except her hair was very curly, so she started to like having her hair straightened and she was only 4.
Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 6:44pm
On any given day I may decide I want to be white.

Edited by Ladycoils - Aug 07 2014 at 6:44pm
K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 6:49pm
I've thought to switch my race several times while applying for jobs..
hauteshellbi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hauteshellbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 8:19pm
I never put black on job apps I put 2 or more races lmao
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 3:35am
sh*t it should be illegal to ask this question I put white and then when they get me in the door I be like yup there must have been some mistake...
K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 6:18am
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

I never put black on job apps I put 2 or more races lmao

I'm glad you said this..I put black every single time.  Going to switch it up to see if I get different results.  
hauteshellbi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hauteshellbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 6:27am
K cam I filled out 2 apps for a department store 2 different departments same exact info just one I put black and one I put 2 races and I promise on everything they called me for the dept that I put 2 races... Might be a coincidence but I do it every time now
K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 6:40am
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

K cam I filled out 2 apps for a department store 2 different departments same exact info just one I put black and one I put 2 races and I promise on everything they called me for the dept that I put 2 races... Might be a coincidence but I do it every time now

Every time I fill out an application, I always think to do that..but then I think to myself, why should I have to lie? I'm not ashamed of being black.  But sh*t, fawk this..I also want to hurry up and be employed again.  Cry
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 7:08am
if blacks changed their race I wouldn't lump it all into self hatred

The racism we're experiencing as a group can't be ignored and given enough circumstances people may feel they are being targeted and don't want to offer any more information to be used against them

Ie dyng for a job, you just saw a study that whites are prejudiced against black 7/10 times, you've been rejected 10 times, you'll eventually stop filling in African American 

I just say that to say we have to make conditions more equitable for black people
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic