Perfect Hair Collection

10 hair products to never use

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 hair products to never use
    Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:27pm
1)
Silicone Based Products

“Silicone coats the hair shaft for a sleek shiny finish, but it prevents the real nutrients from conditioners to penetrate the hair shaft,” says Saviano.

Safe alternative: If you’re seeking a shiny finish, try Redken Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine (redken.com for salons). It’s able to seal and coat the hair cuticle without the use of silicone.

2)
Alcohol-Based Products

“Avoid alcohol products, which are mostly used in styling spray-gels or mousses,” says Saviano. “Alcohol is a very drying ingredient for the hair.”

Safe alternative: L’Oréal Paris EverStyle Alcohol-Free Strong Hold Defining Gel ($6.99, lorealparisusa.com) gives hair hold without drying it out.

3) Cheap Shampoo

Saviano says to be wary when buying shampoo, since some brands strip color and remove hair’s natural oils. If you do choose a drugstore shampoo, look for one that’s low in sulfates and contains moisturizing ingredients.

Safe alternative: Living Proof Restore Shampoo ($28, livingproof.com) gently cleanses while keeping hair moisturized and healthy.

4) Protein-Based Conditioners

Conditioner fortified with protein is fine, as long as it’s not only protein that it contains. “Always use a combination of moisture and protein,” Saviano says. “Too much or only protein will eventually make the hair lose its natural elasticity and will cause hair to snap while brushing and styling.” Overusing protein on hair can lead to straw-like strands.

Safe alternative: Carol’s Daughter Tui Moisturizing Leave-In Conditioner ($14, sephora.com) has a balanced formula that includes wheat protein and natural moisturizers.

5) Plastic brushes
“Do not use plastic brushes for your hair, because they have a tendency to break the hairs,” says Caroline Greyl, president of Leonor Greyl.,” says Caroline Greyl, president of Leonor Greyl.

Safe alternative: Use a Wigo Cushion 100% Boar Bristle Brush ($18.74, ulta.com) instead.

6)
Zinc Pyrithione and Coal Tar

While these ingredients are commonly found in dandruff shampoos, Greyl says says they’re really harsh on your skin.”

Safe alternative: Leonor Greyl Bain Traitant a la Propolis ($42, leonorgreyl-usa.com) is able to treat itchy dandruff without the troublesome ingredients.

7)
Heat Protectants

“I think ‘heat protectants’ do more harm than good,” says Clear celebrity hairstylist Jen Atkin. “For people styling their hair at home, using a heat protectant can do the opposite of what it’s supposed to. If sprayed before using a flat or curling iron, it can almost ‘cook’ the hair and cause it to break off. ”

Safe alternative: Try non-heated styling methods, like braiding damp hair and letting it air dry.

8)
Products With Parabens

“Since parabens are used to kill bacteria in water-based solutions, they inherently have some toxicity to human cells and can be absorbed through the skin,” says Dwayne Ross, owner of Verve Lounge Hair Salon.

Safe alternative: Try using paraben-free shampoo, like Malibu C Scalp Wellness Shampoo ($16, malibuc.com).

9)
Fragrance

“If the product lists fragrance, stay away,” says Rowenta celebrity stylist Josue Perez. “It can contain more than 4,000 separate ingredients. Studies show fragrance can affect the nervous system leading to major health issues.”

Safe alternative: Look for products that say “fragrance free” on the packaging.

10) Salt Sprays

The look of messy, beachy hair can be sexy, but many salt sprays actually dry out your hair in the process.

Safe alternative: The Josie Maran Bohemian Waves Argan Hair Mist ($22, sephora.com) balances out the Himalayan Pink Sea Salt used to get the beachy look with argan oil, so hair stays hydrated.

10)
Salt Sprays

The look of messy, beachy hair can be sexy, but many salt sprays actually dry out your hair in the process.

Safe alternative: The Josie Maran Bohemian Waves Argan Hair Mist ($22, sephora.com) balances out the Himalayan Pink Sea Salt used to get the beachy look with argan oil, so hair stays hydrated.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Aug 19 2013 at 3:33pm
Sponsored Links

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:31pm
Clearly this article is catered to heaux with money to burn give awayLOL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:34pm
I strongly disagree with #4 (protein based conditioners). I would be LOST OUT TO SEA without my Aphogee.

Also I'm sure naturals won't be too happy with #3 (Cheapies)
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:39pm
I never tried aphogee but I know people swear by it.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

I never tried aphogee but I know people swear by it.
I'd be bald without it. My hair needs strong protein every 8 weeks or so, even though I'm natural.
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:42pm
$28 shampoo Censored
ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:43pm
They are sleeping on cheap shampoo. That V05 is THEE biz!

I also notice a huge difference in my ends since I started using heat protectant, so I can't give it up.
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:44pm
LoL and it's only 8 ounces too Dead
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:49pm
I disagree with a few items on this list.

1- Silicone products are good to use if you are planning on using heat

3-Cheap shampoo- Yea, not true. My shampoo is $7.00 & works just fine.

4- Protein treatments are necessary

6- Zinc Pyrithione is a great topical treatment for people that suffer with problematic dandruff/ seborrheic dermatitis

I used this cream Noble cream, and I never had issues again it took3 applications.

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 3:52pm
LOL @ that list, the prices and the target audience.  im good, son.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>