Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10 Facts About Arab Enslavement of Black People...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

10 Facts About Arab Enslavement of Black People...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Immie89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Immie89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 10:20am
In regards to the "Arab" names...well I'm not sure if people know the language Arabic originated from Africa, so basically Yeah. That's all I gotta say, you can do your own research. I love my name Iman, it has great meaning behind it. I care more about a meaning of the name than what ethnicity it is.
Sponsored Links

CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Immie89 Immie89 wrote:

Yeah whites always want to dig up info on Arabs to take the wicked heat off their backs. I researched the Arab slave trade and it was NOTHING like what the whites did in the Americas! The Arabs didn't pursue the blacks because of color. They had slaves in EVERY color, why didn't you provide info on how they had WHITE slaves and ARAB slaves and EAST ASIAN slaves and SOUTH ASIAN slaves and ROMANY slaves. It wasn't just blacks and how they felt the were inhuman, your trying to paint that picture because you know how people feel about Arabs right now due to all the propaganda on media! Stop trying to paint an incomplete picture. Most of Arab's slaves were treated well, many lived in high courts with tailored clothing and prominent positions in armies and law. That's how the "Moors" came to be and they were some of the greatest and smartest cultures of our history! Every kingdom had slaves even Hebrews, it's how they TREATED them that varies. What the whites did to the Africans in the Americas was NOTHING like how everyone else treated their slaves! The white race has given a new meaning to the term slave.

guess you didn't read...

9. The Arab Slave Trade Allowed More Upward Mobility Than the European Slave Trade

Upward mobility within the ranks of Arab slaves was not rare. Tariq ibn Ziyad – who conquered Spain and whom Gibraltar was named after – was a slave of the emir of Ifriqiya, Musa bin Nusayr, who gave him his freedom and appointed him a general in his army.

Son of an enslaved Ethiopian mother, Antarah ibn Shaddād, also known as Antar, was an Afro-Arabic man who was originally born into slavery. He eventually became a well-known poet and warrior. Extremely courageous in battle, historians have dubbed him the “father of knighthood … [and] chivalry” and “the king of heroes.”

This kind of upward mobility did not occur  in the European slavery system.

10. Arab Slave Trade Not Limited To Africa or Skin Color

One of the biggest differences between the Arab slave trade and European slaving was that the Arabs drew slaves  from all racial groups. During the eighth and ninth centuries of the Fatimid Caliphate, most of the slaves were Europeans (called Saqaliba), captured along European coasts and during wars.

Aside from those of African origins, people from a wide variety of regions were forced into Arab slavery, including Mediterranean people; Persians; people from the Caucasus mountain regions (such as Georgia, Armenia and Circassia) and parts of Central Asia and Scandinavia;  English, Dutch and Irish; and Berbers from North Africa.

I'm not sure who you're referring to with "you" but seriously don't you dare....don't even go there...this is insulting beyond belief

you wanna come for me then come correct, don't make sh*t up just cos you don't like what you read

Edited by CherryBlossom - Jun 09 2014 at 10:25am
Immie89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Immie89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 10:30am
I wrote you but meant they*, and I didn't read that far down, I figured its the same ole bashing Arabs. You didn't write the article, ain't No reason u gotta take it personal 
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 10:39am
...I just take comments for what they are.."you" is you unless otherwise specified (which you did and that's fine)

in truth, the article is very balanced and paints an accurate picture of the arab slave trade maybe you should read it in it's entiretyThumbs Up

and I agree about the media representation of arabs...as part of my dissertation I had to analyse work about arab representation (jack shaheen), orientalism (edward said) etc. so I know the deal

...buuut my eyes aren't closed to anti-blackness coming from arabs either so yeah it's a complex situation

...and I'm somewhat concerned about the direction this thread is taking re: the naming thing (names are just so personal and I feel some type of way about intruding like that) but imma sit this one out

Edited by CherryBlossom - Jun 09 2014 at 10:40am
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 10:40am
I know just as many African Americans with African and Hebrew names as I do with Arabic names.

Not sure where this sentiment that African Americans don't use African names is coming from but it's false.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 10:44am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

It's really interesting how African Americans turned to Arabic names when the primary response I get from them when I question why they don't name their children African names (Uchechi, Chidinma, Kwadwo, etc etc) is they have no connection to Africa....Oh. 

Stern Smile
bit of an unfair statement

Typical African bias.. Lol

And I'm african

Edited by afrokock - Jun 09 2014 at 10:45am
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 10:49am
Maybe I should've said the vast majority. I've met very few with African names. 

But naming is very personal, I agree, and people should be able to name their children whatever they choose. But, in a historical/cultural context it just looks.....some kind of way.

Waiting for the day Arabs and Anglos start naming their children prominent African names. Oh wait. That won't ever happen.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 10:52am
How do you fucck your white bf with that attitude?
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:06am
The names come from 3 distinct subcultures within the African American society.
1st are the Black Muslims and their admirers. They are the ones who give their kids Arabic names ( for example, the name rashad).
The second is the black nationalists, they give their kids names from all over the continent with a strong prevalence of bantu origin names (for example, the name Ayanna)
The third are the Hebrews, they are a smaller group but they use old testament biblical names (for example hezekiah, Isaiah, etc)

That's not counting of course those with made up names and European names.

Edited by melikey - Jun 09 2014 at 11:11am
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

How do you fucck your white bf with that attitude?

ShockedLOL

Edited by carolina cutie - Jun 09 2014 at 11:37am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair