BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10 Essential Albums for Hip-Hop Beginners:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Omni Harmony View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Omni Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Have all of them. Fav is Illmatic. 

Wouldn't put Binary Star on there though, not for beginners. 
could've sworn you did this thread or something similar before
Sponsored Links

Dapheny View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapheny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:33am
Thanks for the new music Thumbs Up

Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:33am
Um..Roots and Wu should be added
I own all but that last one, never heard of it

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

Ok list. It's too one sided to me. I can't believe I'm saying this but it's too much conscience rap. I need one ignant album from the south and some gritty ny stuff, too

[juve] ha

jr.
DMX's Its Dark and Hell is Hot, Ja Rule's Venni Vetti Vecci or Wu Tang 36 ChambersEmbarrassed

Edited by blaquefoxx - May 02 2013 at 9:36am
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Omni Harmony Omni Harmony wrote:

Have all of them. Fav is Illmatic. 

Wouldn't put Binary Star on there though, not for beginners. 
could've sworn you did this thread or something similar before

Nah. I did a fav album list like last month.

I'll list 20 that get a lot of burn in my itunes.

Geto Boys---We Can't Be Stopped (1991)

I go back and forth all the time on what is their best album, between Geto Boys and We Can't Be Stopped. I like both alot but I think Mind Playing Tricks pushes this to being their best release. I have a lot of nostagia attatched to this album too. Quickie was maybe the first rap song I ever heard about sex, and considering it talked about licking booty, it blew my mind in elementary school.

Ras Kass---Soul On Ice (1996)

Before Kendrick Lamar, Ras was the west coast cat that everyone was hyping before his first official release. I've been hooked on this album ever since I heard it in middle school. The conspiracy theories he spits throughout still resonate in me. I was so blown by Nature of the Threat that I literally printed the lyrics and burned a cd for two separate history teachers of mine so we could talk about it's accuracy. But one of my fav songs of all time would be Evil That Men Do . Actually shed a tear listening to that and reflecting on the cycle of blacks failing.

Digable Planets---Reachin' (1993)
File:Reachintimeandspace.jpg

Out of De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, and the rest of the Native Tongue affiliates, Digable Planets is by far my favorite. Butterfly's rhymes are timeless to me because of his oddball references and Ladybug Mecca's voice is soothing and funky on every track. Pacifics is the most played rap song in my itunes library of 10,000+ rap songs. I prolly listen to it at least once a week.

One Be Lo---S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M. (2005)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Sonogram.jpg

I maintain that Lo is better than Mos Def at being Mos Def. In fact, when this was released in 2005, I was going around stanning hard for Lo. I had this as my album of the year, over Common's Be and Little Brother's Minstrel Show. Evil of Self had me thinking Lo could storytell with the best of them and I couldn't get enough of Enecs eht no kcab.

Even when I'm dissing you I'm being sincere

CunninLynguists---SouthernUnderground (2003)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Southernunderground1.jpg

CunninLynguists is IMO, the most consistent rap artist in rap. Period. Since 2000, I don't think anybody, mainstream or underground, measures up. They simply don't make wack music, which makes it hard to pick their best album. Kno's best beats are prolly on "Piece of Strange" or "Oneirology", but since this is the first album I heard from them, I'll prolly be bias in saying it's their best. Seasons is the only extended metaphor song about hip hop that I like better than Common's "I Used to Love Her." Love Ain't is the rap song I prolly played the most during my first real breakup.

It's sad, but proud or not, most your standards go down a notch
When loneliness drinks at the bar you set too high

Killah Priest---Heavy Mental (1998)

The only Wu affiliate that I'd say is better than most of the actual Wu-Tang members. I really started to get into lyricism when I was in middle school and Priest, along with Nas, was really the one that helped me to appreciate intelligent lyrics and street poetry. B.I.B.L.E. was maybe the first rap song that made me question religion and Heavy Mental made me go "DAMN! Rap can sound like this and still be rap?"

AZ---Doe or Die (1995)
File:Az doe or die.JPG

Hearing Nas' "Illmatic" for the first time gave me two thoughts. One; I'll forever love Nas, and Two; who the hell is this cat that murdered Nas on Life's A Bitch? AZ was, for the longest, my top pick for rapper with the best rhyme schemes. I've sinced moved Eminem and Elzhi above him, but regardless, AZ is one of the best when it comes to multisyllable verses and complex rhyme schemes. Rather Unique showed him at his most potent, and Sugar Hill proved he could make a hit.

8Ball & MJG---Comin' Out Hard (1993)

Along with Geto Boys, Outkast, and 2Pac, I grew up on Eightball and MJG, so nostalgia will always keep them in heavy rotation for me; at least their early stuff. This album has some of the HARDEST beats and flows in rap history, IMO. A lot of cats nowadays will prefer their 2 Chainz or Meek Mill, but give me the story telling and hard flows of 9 Little Millimeta Boys and Mr. Big any day of the week.

Reflection Eternal---Train of Thought (2000)

My favorite rap album of all time. Funny story is I hated it the first time I heard it. I couldn't get used to Kweli's flow. It irked me because I was still heavy on the silky smooth flows of AZ and Big L. But when I gave it another listen around 2005, it became the most played album I had.

The first novella I wrote in high school was based on a verse in For Women and Memories Live reminds me of high school so much, it's hard to listen to without wanting to go through my year book.

Wordsworth---Mirror Music (2004)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/Wordsworthmirrormusic.jpg

It's hard to find rappers that would rap about topics I would rap about if I was a rapper. I was writing hip hop album reviews in 2004 on epinions and I devoted the entire review to how much I related to the subject matter.

Re-listening to the album in 2013, I wouldn't say it's the same 5 star album I originally awarded (lack of charisma in some spots), but songs like Unity and Be A Man still speak to me in a subtle chill/mature ways that a lot of albums don't do.

Blu---Below The Heavens (2007)

I don't say it often. I only thought there were three special rap albums in the 2000's, and this was most definitely one of them. Give it another few years and it might grow into my favorite rap album. Blu's rhymes are so timely and in-tune with what I was feeling as I started college and the beats by Exile match the lyrics about as well any album in recent memory.

In Remembrance of Me was the soundtrack to my years in undergrad and songs like Dancing In The Rain made it hard for me to accept J.Cole's slip into commercialized rappin/singing.

T.I.---Trap Muzik (2003)

For awhile around 2005, when Lil Wayne was clearly at his best (Carter I, Carter 2, Dedication), I was tempted to say Wayne had the best southern solo album since Juvenile. Then I re-listened to Trap Muzik and realized that title still belonged to TIP.

People sleep on his lyrical abilities and rhyme schemes but he showed on his slow songs, his hits, and his lesser known tracks that he could spit. I love I Still Love You for how honest it is, and love No More Talk for proving the south was putting out lyrical tracks with substance.

Juvenile---400 Degrees (1998)

I wanted to be a Hot Boy in 1998. Me and my friends in school all pretended to be members of the group, and we'd come to class wearing our soulja rags, fake cash money chains, and FUBU outfits. It was a prerequisite to listen to this album every day. I remember having to rewind the 300 versions of "Ha" on cassette tape over and over again until my brother brought home the cd one day and played it on our PS1.

I had to sneak it to listen, just like I did all of my rap music at the time, but I have vivid memories of rapping Ride With Me in school with friends at recess. I have even more vivid memories of me and my friends getting grinded on by high school girls at a block party a few summers later to Back That Azz Up. Don't know if good memories will ever let me take this out of the rotation.

Masta Ace---A Long Hot Summer (2004)

Though Masta Ace had been around for a long time, this was my first time listening to an entire album of his (I had to review it and Disposable Arts). It ended up being one of my favorite albums that year, in fact the only album I rated higher than it was Kanye's debut College Dropout. The samples used are to this day some of my favorites.

There are just all kinds of things that "sound" beautiful on this album, be it the violins of Da Grind or the haunting vocals of Brooklyn Masala. I remember playing the latter on one of my first dates.

Gza---Liquid Swords (1996)

When I became an internet nerd in the late 90s/early 2000's, I discovered review sites and thought it was the coolest thing in the world to share my opinion with others. I remember the first album I ever reviewed was Eminem's Marshall Matters LP. The review was awful. I reviewed track by track instead of taking the music as a whole and evaluating it. I had to teach myself how to listen to music, not in segments/track by track, but as a whole, and this album was the first one that truly taught me how.

From the scary ass demonic intro of the title track to the angelic mood of the last track, to the worldly concept track smack in the middle, Gza taught me how to consume albums, and it was the perfect album to do so. Look up "Cohesive album," and this shows up in my dictionary.

Kam---Neva Again (1991)

I love Ice Cube's Death Certificate and Amerikkas Most Wanted. I love NWA's Straight Outta Compton. But the west coast affiliate album I listen to most is Kam's "Neva Again." Ice Cube is actually Kam's cousin so you can hear the influence in his voice and content. He's not as angry as Cube, but he's just as political and maybe more coherent and intelligent with the rhymes.

He addressed profiling and racism with humor on Stereotype and goes through the commercialized holidays on Holiday Madness. I quote lyrics from these two tracks all the time, even in 2013, because what he says is so universally real.

They say all black people look alike
We're either going strike, or hut-hut, hike

or

Thank you Easter Bunny for the basket of Jelly Beans
Even though, I don't know what the hell-he-means

Big L---Lifestyles of the Poor and Dangerous (1995)
A man with a white tee shirt, a jacket, jeans, a white hat and brown shoes is standing during the night. Many people are standing behind him. The artists name is written in the top right corner and the album name is written across the bottom.

I think punchline rap has become corny. Maybe it's because half of the punchlines spat by cats like Wayne, Drake, Big Sean, or whoever else are corny. I'd much rather listen to someone rap in metaphors or with unique rhyme schemes than to hear 16 bars with 16 punchlines in them...except when I'm listening to Big L.

Every single rapper after him cannot hold a candle to the effortless flow of rhyme scheme and punchlines, and his best compilation of that came on his debut (though some of my favorite songs aren't even on this album, but were unreleased). I can't count how many times I have burst out laughing because of his hilarious punchlines. That's ultimately why I keep coming back to listen, whether its street songs like All Black or positive songs like Street Struck.

My copy of this album has Clinic (Should of used a rubber) on it, which wasn't on the official release, but is one of my favorite L songs. I laugh everytime I hear it.

Canibus---Rip the Jacker (2003)

I'm not a big fan of Canibus' music. In fact, this is the only Canibus album I like. But at least it's a dope album to like. Canibus has some of the most devoted stans in rap. I've never understood what this small but vocal fanbase saw in him until I really listened to this album. Lyrically, he's always  been dope, albeit hard to grasp, but finally he hooked up with a great producer to help him make actual dope songs.

Stoupe is one of the best producers in hip hop history, and Bis doing an entire album with him was awesome. The candyman sample on Genabis gives me chills and helps me appreciate the lyrical ability of Bis.

It's been over 10 years since I first heard it, and I'm STILL catching new things in Poet Laureate II. Probably because a lot of the stuff he spits is something a listener will only get after going through some college level philosophy, history, and science courses. I love songs that gave me something new each listen.

Trick Daddy---thug.com (1998)

I think Trick is pretty underrated with his actual rhyming ability. Nobody is going to confuse him for Nas, but I think more times than not, his actual skills on the mic are on par with some beloved rappers from New York. It's not his lyricism that I like though, it's the charisma and raw unfiltered expression of his thoughts. Lot of people break that down as "being real."

This probably isn't his best produced album, but no one is going to deny the bump of Nann
or the chill mood of  I'll Be Your Player.

Mobb Deep---The Infamous (1995)

Many producers are going to go ahead of Havoc in the 'best rap producers of all time" history books, but he single handily keeps this album in my rotation. Prodigy is cool as a rapper, but honestly, he isn't someone I'll keep turning to listen to unless he was backed by some great beats. The beats that havoc has on here aren't just great, they are some of my favorite "sounds" in life. I could just listen to the instrumentals over and over. In fact, I do have an instrumental version of the album.

When I'm angry and just wanna hear some angry sh*t, my go to track is Start of Your Ending , which really might be my favorite beat ever. Simple but so effective at creating atmosphere. Likewise, Eye for an Eye stands out to me by being one of the best verses I've heard from Nas and Raewkon. How dope would a Raewkom The Chef, Nas Eschobar album have been, with Havoc and Rza production?

That was fun.

*goes to listen to Comin Out Hard*

I could make one real quick though.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:53am
A Long Hot Summer yes!

Saw him twice once in some German village (got his and Wordworth autograph) then later in Breda. It was kinda messed up to see how he travels. He told us his hotel didn't have A/C and they got around the town in some little Ford hatchback.
loveandpeace1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote loveandpeace1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:09am

No freakin DRAKE?!!!! This list blows!!! Lupe is crazy, Nas is Keli's bytch, and I don't even know who is half of these fools are. I'll stick to my opera and metal music.

Omni Harmony View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Omni Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:19am
lol Random, I don't doubt you for a secondWink

BIG's Ready to die is a classic that everyone should have and Nice & Smooth's Aint a Damn Thing Changed
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:39am
Originally posted by loveandpeace1984 loveandpeace1984 wrote:

No freakin DRAKE?!!!! This list blows!!! Lupe is crazy, Nas is Keli's bytch, and I don't even know who is half of these fools are. I'll stick to my opera and metal music.

It said "Hip Hop Beginners" not a "Simp's Playlist"Ermm
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:46am
wheres 2pac/juvenille/trick daddy/outkast ? sh*tty list
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>