Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1 in 4 Americans living with diabetes dont know
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

1 in 4 Americans living with diabetes dont know

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 in 4 Americans living with diabetes dont know
    Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:31pm
June 10th, 2014
12:30 PM ET

1 in 4 Americans living with diabetes don't know

The number of Americans with diabetes continues to rise – there are now more than 29 million adults living with the disease, according to the latest data released by theCenters for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday. That’s 3 million more than the last time the CDC released diabetes statistics in 2011.

The CDC estimates that a quarter of these adults living with diabetes in the United States don’t even know they are sick, meaning they haven't been diagnosed.

An additional 86 million American adults have what’s called “pre-diabetes,” which means that their blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not yet on the level of diabetes. And nearly all – 90% - of these Americans do not know they are headed down a dangerous road. The CDC estimates that 15 to 30% of people with pre-diabetes will develop diabetes within five years if they don't exercise and lose weight.

“These new numbers are alarming and underscore the need for an increased focus on reducing the burden of diabetes in our country,” Ann Albright, the CDC’s director of the division of diabetes translation, said in a press release. “It’s urgent that we take swift action to effectively treat and prevent this serious disease.”

People with diabetes are at increased risk for blindness, kidney failure, heart disease and stroke. The disease is usually linked to obesity, lack of physical activity and/or a family history of the disease.

Sponsored Links

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:39pm
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:50pm
Even more reason to side eye all these "I'm big/unfit/huffing and puffing just walking to the parking lot but I'm healthy" folks who have no blood work to prove it.

I bet a lot of the people who have undiagnosed diabetes also have undiagnosed non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome and other issues too. Hopefully with the changes in health care more people will start getting the basic tests they need.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:53pm
I wonder how many of those who don't know they are at risk don't have health insurance coverage?

Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:55pm
There is Genetic Diabetes. There are slim people who are Diabetics. Weight is not always a factor.

AwesomeAries View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:57pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:01pm
Wilford Brimleycat?LOLLOL
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Dang CC.
I just took a real long look at your avi.
My gosh...I think it precisely captured my mood a few days ago...LOLLOLLOLLOL 

Welp, good night and good luck BHM.
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:35pm
central, nephrogenic, dm type 1 and 2, gestational....

But only thing people think is obesity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by ragincajin ragincajin wrote:

Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Dang CC.
I just took a real long look at your avi.
My gosh...I think it precisely captured my mood a few days ago...LOLLOLLOLLOL 

Welp, good night and good luck BHM.
CryLOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon